SLU Commit: Austin McBroom

No. I would trust Roy before Rick when it comes to recruiting needs

well considering how many recruits (aka transfers) rickma has missed on, you might be right. (sarcasm for those of you that are rickma intoxicated 24/7)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let's not forget mr carter is coming. Second, it sure seems to me we are dangerously thin on our frontcourt and our recruiting efforts should really focus there rather than another transfer guard reach.

this is a ridiculous discussion--as often seems to happen on this board.

Look at our team this year with all of the guards we had--any NCAA team worth its salt has at least 4 good guards and usually want to have excellent players "in waiting" for when the first teamers graduate. this young man seems to be not a good but a great shooter with a ton of potential for the furture. He will sit out next season and practice against KM, JJ and MM--that will only make him better. When he becomes eligible he will be a soph but will be stronger and more mature. He will have a natural running mate in Carter and we can expect him to get minutes behind JJ and MM, depending upon the matchups. Having a pure shooter come off the bench is a wonderful luxury. We can expect him to be a starter in his junior year when we will need him most and he will have two years as an experienced guard on a good team.

Our bigs are well set up for next year with Cody and Cory as seniors, Loe and Evans as juniors, Manning and Glaze as sophs and our Indiana swingman Drew as a frosh.

The following year we will still have Loe, Evans, Manning, Glaze and Drew and several open scholarships to use on other big men as we see fit.

In fact, we are set up very well with a lot of talent and it will be spread among various classes. I actually think this is a fantastic addition to our team and all of the BS is just that.

Look at our team this year with all of the guards we had--any NCAA team worth its salt has at least 4 good guards and usually want to have excellent players "in waiting" for when the first teamers graduate. this young man seems to be not a good but a great shooter with a ton of potential for the furture. He will sit out next season and practice against KM, JJ and MM--that will only make him better. When he becomes eligible he will be a soph but will be stronger and more mature. He will have a natural running mate in Carter and we can expect him to get minutes behind JJ and MM, depending upon the matchups. Having a pure shooter come off the bench is a wonderful luxury. We can expect him to be a starter in his junior year when we will need him most and he will have two years as an experienced guard on a good team.

Our bigs are well set up for next year with Cody and Cory as seniors, Loe and Evans as juniors, Manning and Glaze as sophs and our Indiana swingman Drew as a frosh.

The following year we will still have Loe, Evans, Manning, Glaze and Drew and several open scholarships to use on other big men as we see fit.

In fact, we are set up very well with a lot of talent and it will be spread among various classes. I actually think this is a fantastic addition to our team and all of the BS is just that.

+1

Totally agree. Team is set up perfectly. Point guard is the most important position on the floor, can't hurt to be deep there. If we do not sign any post players for next season (replacin KM, CR, and CE) then you can complain.

So many people on this board are friggin morons and will find anything to complain about.

In 2013-14 we'll have:

Seniors: McCall, Jett, Barnett, Evans, Loe

Juniors: Manning, Glaze

Sophomores: Drew, Carter, McBroom

I realize the importance of guards but this team looks to be pretty thin in the frontcourt, even if both Manning and Glaze are studs.

Keep in mind that Majerus prefers a 7-8 man rotation..

In 2013-14 we'll have:

Seniors: McCall, Jett, Barnett, Evans, Loe

Juniors: Manning, Glaze

Sophomores: Drew, Carter, McBroom

I realize the importance of guards but this team looks to be pretty thin in the frontcourt, even if both Manning and Glaze are studs.

Yes, and by 14-15 Carter would have been the only guard on the team.

I know everyone wants a difference making big as that is the team's most immediate need. But the day will come that they will need new guards too.

He seems like a very talented player. We had an open scholarship and I'm confident he'll help our program more than any spring signee would've. We need talent. He'll immediately push our guards in practice and by the time he can play him and Carter could be the makings of a really good backcourt.

I was happy to hear this news.

Well I'm never a fan of saving scholarships and NH is right that this kid seems like he'll be better than any spring signee. Also looks like he can create turnovers on the defensive end and is a solid shooter so that could be a big help.

Yes we could obviously use a solid big man, but RM knows what he's doing. He knows way more about the progression of Manning and Glaze than we do and I'm sure we'll be signing at least one big guy next year with CE and CR leaving. RM wouldn't take a transfer kid if he didn't think he had a chance to contribute. We've yet to see if RM was right with JB, but this kid seems more in line with our current guards. Fast players who can score and create turnovers, but also with a solid jumpshot.

No reason to get too excited or too pissed off until we actually see something out of this kid.

-thank you!!! nailed it here

according to this logic, Kentucky should not be excited about signing Nerlens Noel. That makes perfect sense.

Wow, this program has come a long way if some folks are not at least somewhat impressed. This seems to make a lot of sense. Whoever we were going to sign at this point was unlikely to crack the rotation this coming year. If we didn't sign a guard now, we were going to have to anyway when KM graduated. Now, as it stands, we will have three scholarships available after next season. For 2013, I would go after an athletic 2/3, kinda like Femi was supposed to be, plus a 4 & 5 and we are ready to rock in roll for several years.

It makes sense the way RM is spacing out the positions about two years apart. CR and CE, with GG and JM two years behind, plus Rob in the middle. At the 3, DE with JDrew two years behind. After KM graduates, JJ and MM will be seniors with Carter and McBroom two years behind. Looks like a solid blueprint for long-term success.

Since I don't know much about the player, not sure what to make of this. On one hand, it's always nice to pick up a seemingly legit D-1 player. On the other hand, our 5th guard on the depth chart this past season was also a MAC All Freshman team player, so I might be taking a wait and see approach.

Edit: Apparently he scored 15 against Temple last season. Also scored 15 against Charlotte, but that was a 2OT game.

Scoring 15 as a freshman against Temple is impressive. As a senior, Cassity couldn't do anything against the Owls this past season. This kid was also 5-5 from 3-point land in a game against Minnesota.

You would think with Rickma's history of sending bigs to the NBA at Utah he would have had more success attracting some more polished bigs at SLU.

For once, we completely agree. I was going to write that exact same thing. Wow.

I am pleased with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.

This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

That 3.09 GPA is solid, but should we be worried about this Tweet?

@AustinMcbroom: "Committed to University of St. Louis instagr.am/p/KMJaCjnlQq/" -13 hours ago via Instagram

I hope that in the year he sits on the bench he figures out that we are Saint Louis University (hence the SLU) and not University of Saint Louis.

I am please with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.

This kid from Central Michigan might be a good pick up but we are getting thin up front, no real post up players, no intimidating force on "D", no inside muscle, unless somehow RL and CE take it up two notches down low, or Glaze or Manning surprise.

Why don't you two start another thread to discuss your big men fantasies? 5 star bigs? Coming right up.

Looks like an awesome pick-up, can only hope his 3-point skills translate a little better than JB's did this season..

Let me be the first to say.... McBroom goes the dynamite.

couldn't agree more. RM knows what he is doing. We are deep so getting a guy we know has experience and can play and shoot to sit for a year to learn our system is more than ok with me. we have solid foundation and now we can attract some bigs because we have shooters, slashers, and unselfish distributors to welcome a solid big. We will be more than ok.

And, we can start recruiting Dakota Simms as our next guard. This kid is legit...with a Conklin attitude already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0j2OAkc77k

I am please with RM, have been a big supporter, but expected by now that he would have recruited some legit 4* bigs, maybe a 5*, 4's and 5's.

I'm still pissed RM didn't get Anthony Davis.

Why don't you two start another thread to discuss your big men fantasies? 5 star bigs? Coming right up.

Looks like an awesome pick-up, can only hope his 3-point skills translate a little better than JB's did this season..

Let me be the first to say.... McBroom goes the dynamite.

Per Rivals, there were a toal of 25 five-star players in the 2012 class. 15 of them were forwards or centers. 5 of them were 6'9" or taller. Those players were:

Nerlens Noel - Kentucky

Isaiah Austin - Baylor

Steven Adams - Pitt

Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona

Grant Jarrett - Arizona

Now, to be fair, there were an additional 80 players that were considered 4-star players. Of those 80, 48 were forwards or centers. Of those 48, 18 are 6'9" or taller. And of those 18, all but 1 signed with BCS conference teams (Robert Upshaw with Fresno St. Another player, Chicken Knowles, a 6'9", 190 lb. forward signed with Houston, who will be joining the Big East in 2013.) So, basically, there were 23 4- or 5-star players that were 6'9" or taller for the 2012 season.

Currently, Rivals has 15 5-star recruits for the 2013 season. Seven of them are forwards and only one of them is 6'9" or taller (#6 overall Chris Walker.) There are another 85 overall players that are 4-star right now, and since that is for the next graduating season, the list is bound to change. But, most likely, we are looking at the same situation as 2012, which is roughly 20-25 players that fit the parameter of what everyone is begging for, which is a 4- to 5-star low post player that brings real size.

Even with an NCAA tourney appearance, a very good conference and Majerus's rep, we just aren't going to get these players right now. The best we can hope for are either 'diamonds in the rough' or 'under the radar' guys (a la Willie Reed), 3-star guys (like Manning and Glaze) or international bigs (Cody and Rob.) Then, we just have to trust that Majerus can mold them appropriately.

Man, I can remember when we were all excited when Horace Dixon was a late signing. After all, he was a 6'7" forward. How'd that turn out, Roy? I for one am perfectly comfortable with Rickma's rectruiting strategies. He has forgotten more about ball than anyone on this board knows.

First of all, there just aren't that many polished elite low post players in the recruiting pool. The ones that are out there are not going to slip under the radar. They are courted by the dirtiest of dirty programs - so you're probably going to have to pull shenanigans to sign one. They typically don't play 4 years.

That's not the program Majerus is running. Majerus signs unpolished bigs that he believes he can mold into quality players - like he did with Conklin. It's way too early to write off Manning or Glaze. I expect at least one of them to develop into a star, and the other will at worst be a quality rebounder off the bench.

Re: too many guards

How quickly we forget how easily a player can be lost to injury/suspension/regression. Last year we were fortunate, but unlike previous years we could have survivied if one of our guards had gone down for the year or forgot how to shoot. That's how it should be.