SLU Commit: Austin McBroom

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 3.09 GPA is solid, but should we be worried about this Tweet?

@AustinMcbroom: "Committed to University of St. Louis instagr.am/p/KMJaCjnlQq/" -13 hours ago via Instagram

Oh good. I was hoping we get a 4th backup for mitchell.

McBroom has to sit out a year. Mitchell will be gone and Jett and McCall will be seniors when he first sees the court with SLU. Not overly excited either as we seem to be crowded at guard, but he is a legit D-1 player and showed he could shoot the three-ball and hit his free throws last year.

Without naming any names is anyone else concerned that we offered this kid because there is concern someone on the team might be is some sort of academic trouble? If that is not the case, then I have to agree with Roy. How many guards do we need?

Edit: for some reason it did not occur to me that he would need to sit out this coming season. Ignore this post

Without naming any names is anyone else concerned that we offered this kid because there is concern someone on the team might be is some sort of academic trouble? If that is not the case, then I have to agree with Roy. How many guards do we need?

By the time he can play Jett and McCall will be seniors. Im not ecstatic about it but I can see the reasoning behind it.

Are we really goint to complain about getting a transfer that scored over 10 points per game his freshman year????? Also, I see this as a good sign for the future of our program. With Majerus' contract ending after this season, I worried that our program might die if/when Majerus leaves. Since McBroom can't play next year, he obviously believes we will be great even after next season. The coaches probably convinced him of that which i believe is good news for our future. A transfer with over 10 ppg wouldn't transfer to a school that had a chance of being bad when they could play. WELCOME AUSTIN!

Since I don't know much about the player, not sure what to make of this. On one hand, it's always nice to pick up a seemingly legit D-1 player. On the other hand, our 5th guard on the depth chart this past season was also a MAC All Freshman team player, so I might be taking a wait and see approach.

Edit: Apparently he scored 15 against Temple last season. Also scored 15 against Charlotte, but that was a 2OT game.

First, let's not forget mr carter is coming. Second, it sure seems to me we are dangerously thin on our frontcourt and our recruiting efforts should really focus there rather than another transfer guard reach.

In 2013-14 we'll have:

Seniors: McCall, Jett, Barnett, Evans, Loe

Juniors: Manning, Glaze

Sophomores: Drew, Carter, McBroom

I realize the importance of guards but this team looks to be pretty thin in the frontcourt, even if both Manning and Glaze are studs.

Put me in the minority as liking this pick up. He sits out a year. Looks already to have a D1 ready body so he can really concentrate on competing and learning in practice. If we would have plucked him out of high school averaging 25 points and 10th ranked PG in California we would all be excited. When people see he came from central michigan they immediately disrespect him. If he was a transfer from a bottom rung Big East school everyone would be applauding.

McBroom and Keith Carter will be Sophomores when McCall and Jett are Seniors. Looks like all part of the master plan to me. In RM I trust.

In 2013-14 we'll have:

Seniors: McCall, Jett, Barnett, Evans, Loe

Juniors: Manning, Glaze

Sophomores: Drew, Carter, McBroom

I realize the importance of guards but this team looks to be pretty thin in the frontcourt, even if both Manning and Glaze are studs.

Loe, Manning and Glaze are all bigs and Evans and Drew can also play down low if necessary. Don't forget we also will have 3 schollys to give to freshmen and if even one if them is a contributing big, we are fine.

Now flip it to the following year:

Seniors: Manning, Glaze

Juniors: Drew, Carter, McBroom

Looks like one for every position to me...

Loe, Manning and Glaze are all bigs and Evans and Drew can also play down low if necessary. Don't forget we also will have 3 schollys to give to freshmen and if even one if them is a contributing big, we are fine.

Now flip it to the following year:

Seniors: Manning, Glaze

Juniors: Drew, Carter, McBroom

Looks like one for every position to me...

And isn't that what good recruiting consists of? Making sure you have your positions filled well in advance with upperclassmen? Seems logical to me.

And isn't that what good recruiting consists of? Making sure you have your positions filled well in advance with upperclassmen? Seems logical to me.

No. I would trust Roy before Rick when it comes to recruiting needs

Edit: for some reason it did not occur to me that he would need to sit out this coming season. Ignore this post

No because he can not play next year so if there was an issue as you suggest how does this help? - it does not.

Ignore post - too late

Are we really goint to complain about getting a transfer that scored over 10 points per game his freshman year????? Also, I see this as a good sign for the future of our program. With Majerus' contract ending after this season, I worried that our program might die if/when Majerus leaves. Since McBroom can't play next year, he obviously believes we will be great even after next season. The coaches probably convinced him of that which i believe is good news for our future. A transfer with over 10 ppg wouldn't transfer to a school that had a chance of being bad when they could play. WELCOME AUSTIN!

Some have complained about JB - seems maybe a similar situation at first glance.

Agree with the sentiment that we need a big more than a guard at this point, but I also don't really have a problem getting the "best player available." Face it, good contributing bigs aren't typically available to recruit in May. We have plenty of schollies to give to bigs next year, so why not take a nice player - apparently good shooter, scorer, and student - who can help you 2 years down the road?