A Big Mass and Umass on the MD couch .....

Taj79

.... and the season continues to drag on with the next game/event not getting much better. I feel like that scene in "The Battle of the Bulge" where the General keeps getting reports of tank losses continuing and his answer is something like "their gas,just burn up their gas" when referring to the German Panzers. We are suffering painful losses and the hope seems to be all this on-the-job training will pay off down the road. God I hope so.

It's tough to swallow when the stars of our game seem to be Crawford and some Roby from yesterday. Yes, Mike scored 15 but there is always that vision of him going down on a three-on-one, with the ball,and falling into the charge trap. Grade schoolers know you stop at the foul line, make the defender pick a side and dump to the other guy. Or with a shooter like Mike, you take the 15 footer. Oh well ---- didn't win or lose the game but just demonstrates a ways to go even for my so-called star of the game. Roby did nothing of real note which is good because there is little negative to focus on. The problem is solid contributions are overlooked on such a challenged team right now. But again that future looks good.

There was enough bad to go around for a whole week. Yarbrough was 2-for-15 and took 1/3 of the teams shots. The only positive I saw was him sending a pass back out to Gillmann who made a three. I like the kid, but he has a l-o-n-g way to go. There is so much for him to improve on that erecting a shrine to him right now is not a good idea. And with the style of Lalanne and Esho, you HAVE to know when one is on you and Manning is weak or Gillmann is outside, the other has completely ignored their man and is lurking to swat your attempt into the shoes. Gillmann made two threes, but missing the most important one. It was flat and i attribute that to nerves. As Crews said, it was a good shot, and he made his first two. But the thing was so flat, it never had a chance. And he can't stop anyone down low. Manning got two rebounds but the one he missed, early where Lalanne just took it from him, pretty much summed up John's career here. Reggie got his four rebounds in 10 minutes and made his only shot while not being a turnover. Yay. In roy's thread, larry72 says we want him to be the next Cory Remekun? Frankly, that would be a failure to me. And Bartley was really, really, really bad. Two fouls in the first four minutes of the game; his third 25 seconds into the second half. Does every team seem to know that he is SLU's only real point guard and let's go after him right from the get go. And he seems to get some of the damnedest fouls I've ever seen. He is not going to complete any OJT sitting on the bench. And while McBroom can press bust with the dribble,he is still not a distributor for the rest of the offense.

CBSSN: Have I ever said how much I dislike Steve Wolf? Apparently Crawford graduated at halftime --- going from "oneof the six freshmen" to a sophomore. But that might have been a Dave Ryan statement. Wolf diagrammed a play where he had the low blocks Bills as Manning and Agbeko but then neither came out for the play. I would really be disappointed if Crews is diagramming scoring plays for John OR Reggie. Take out the threes and we shot about 32% from the field --- still seem to have no one making anything in between layups and threes. Once again, left six points on the line and at least one was a 1-plus-1 opp. Yacoubou, Yarbrough and Bartley continue to struggle. And here comes DeAndre Bembry. Can't wait!

Taj Mahal79, what I said in broy's thread was if we have openings in the spring, which it's looking like might, I'd like a real 4 and would settle for CR type as we can't seem to land a monster PF. We have always looked like boys v men on the inside since Bonner departed. GM, UMass, VCU, even lowly DU all have sizeable men on the inside. RAs got the size, but is still so raw he's not the answer today. He really needs a Conklin summer to be the answer. Would really like to see MY move to the 3, a serviceable 4, and a C that savors playing on the inside. Hopefully, Neufield's that guy, but he's a FR, so you got the learning curve thing again.

@larry72: thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I think RA is already a CR type. Cory gave us 3 ppg and 2.2 rpg per game over a four-year, 133 game career. Meh. Great kid and all and a role guy on a pretty good roster but until we find a pretty good roster, role guys need not apply (well, of course they should but with all things wide open, I'd rather have guys that display some onions as freshmen then waiting for what seems like forever for a glimpse of something promising).

@willie: okay, I'll go with your assessment on his shots but that last shot looked bad, like the kid knew the game was riding on it and short-armed it some.

Winnable games are slipping away. Winnable games are also disappearing on the schedule. Could still expect to compete in games with St.Joe's, at Fordham, La Salle, @ Duquesne, Mason and the Bonnies. The rest I don't think so and woudl consider any win in what's not mentioned here as a huge upset, and that includes Dayton. Watched Dayton dismantle Fordham on Sunday. Fordham doesn't play well until they are behind but they got players so don't be fooled.

Winnable games are slipping away. Winnable games are also disappearing on the schedule. Could still expect to compete in games with St.Joe's, at Fordham, La Salle, @ Duquesne, Mason and the Bonnies. The rest I don't think so and woudl consider any win in what's not mentioned here as a huge upset, and that includes Dayton.

Agreed, but those are six of the remaining 10 games. The truth is we are almost done with decent opponents outside of the return engagements with VCU, Dayton, and RI. Richmond is the only decent team left that we haven't already seen.