January 31 A10 ......

Taj79

Interesting slate of games today as the A10 race leaves January and enters the stretch month ...

Davidson (-4) at St.Joe's: the promise I saw in St. Joe's as they beat Umass a week or so ago was quickly washed away in a loss to Penn at the Palestra and then on the north side to La Salle. Davidson has won on the road and gave VCU a decent tussle in Richmond.

Richmond at VCU (-9). Giving the points. I think VCU will handle them easily at Siegel even with the rivalry factor; Robbins next month will be different.

George Washington @ Rhode Island (-3). This should be interesting. GeeDubya got waxed at VCU. Rhodey is now tied with the Colonials and SVU for second place in the A10 and playing at home. Is GeeDubya a farce as some has hinted at? I like the Rams here.

La Salle (+2.5) is in Olean with the Bonnies. Two middle of the pack, middling teams playing for tournament position.

There is no line given for Mason at Duquesne which I completely understand and Mason looks the better team but I'll take the Dukes at home. On a hunch.

ESPN has Umass -3 if you are interested against us. On Sunday, Fordham (NL) is at SVU.

If some of this happens today,namely Duquesne wins and we do not, we will drop to #13 of the A10's 14 teams in the standings. And at least all teams go to Brooklyn ---- 11 plays 14 and 12 plays 13 on Wednesday, March 11. This year, the top four get a double bye.

Back to take my lumps .....

One thing I've learned over time is the A10 is somewhat unpredictable --- things you don't expect to happen do. Yesterday the St. Joe's team I saw against Umass showed up and Davidson went down. Maybe Davidson is living off an early soft conference schedule and also can't win on the road. St. Joe's now comes to town on Tuesday riding a little high. Bembry with 21, Miles with 13, Demery with 10. And a surprising 20 from Aaron Brown. Uh-oh ......

Richmond was completely impressive at VCWho. They b*tch-slapped and dominated in the second half by making play basketball and not HAVOC. And it's over for Briante Weber: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12260825/briante-weber-vcu-rams-suffers-torn-acl-mcl-meniscus No steal record. Season over. I think this is difficult for VCWho going forward; JaQuan Lewis has been okay combining with Weber but now its all him and no back up. With Graham still limping, going to get interesting for the Rams from here on out.

Rhode Island held on and beat GeeDubya in Kingston as I expected and Duquesne took out Mason. La Salle surprised me by downing the Bonnies in Olean with Jordan Lewis having a huge game as did fellow transfer Cleon Roberts. Not a good sign when La Salle comes on the road to see us as well.

Today I'll watch Fordham at Dayton at 2:00. That'll be ugly, I think in Dayton's favor at the DDD.