Davell Roby

slufan13

Quietly another really good night from him in my opinion. 10 points/3-6 shooting/4 assists/5 rebounds/2 steals/2 turnovers in 29 minutes (2nd behind Yarbrough).

He's a pretty good defender for a freshman and seems to have the physical tools to improve on that more. His offensive game has been coming around a bit too. Him and Yarbrough appear to be a decent core going forward.

Roby's A10 stats: 8.7 ppg/43% shooting/35% from 3/1.7 apg/2.4 rbg all in 27 minutes per game. He does need to cut down on his turnovers though.

Just think he's made huge improvement from non-conference play and he is flying under the radar a bit and not getting a ton of recognition for his play.

I agree. He is quietly becoming a stud (for a freshman). Hopefully he will only get better. I am extremely impressed with his defense. He is one of the few that understands the rotational aspect.

I like Roby. Physically he is by far the most developed of the frosh. He's got some "guns". I watched him closely last night. He needs to guard closer on the perimeter when his man has the ball. More than twice, he gave his assignment enough space to get off an open 18 foot jumper. Roby is quick enough and strong enough that few will drive around him. Just needs to be a step closer on the perimeter.

He, Yarbrough and Bartley are certainly keepers. I like the Jett comparison and if he can do some of the stuff Jett did AND he's 6'4" -- look out. Gillmann is also a keeper but needs work. Jury still out on the other two frosh.

Definitely a stud on defense, really limited offensively though. Tough kid who has bought into defending. I kind of wonder how high his ceiling is, but certainly a really nice piece going forward.

If by his senior year, he is a nationally elite defender (like Jett and McCall) and a guy who averages 7 or 8 a game, I think we would all be thrilled, and he would be a guy any team in the country would like to have

I think he's much better offensively than Jett was as a freshman

I agree with this. He has already shown himself to be a decent three-point shooter. Plus, he has a couple of inches on Jett and he will only get bigger. He already has a solid D-I build.

As Crews said in the paper last weekend, none of these guys will have the explosiveness as Jett, but Roby has more length and a better shot. He probably won't be at the level where he takes over games and averages 15 ppg as a senior, but I think he'll be more than a role guy during his career. He can be our go-to defender and as long as he can consistently be a 3 point threat, he can also open up some lanes to get easy points at the basket.

He also appears to be a solid vocal leader for a freshman.

Great thread, didn't realize he was up to nearly 9 ppg in conference. Can't hate the idea of MB/DR/MY as 4-year starters going forward. And he can actually finish around the rim, like MY. Light years ahead of JJ as a FR, on offense. Hard to imagine anyone thought JJ's ceiling was as high as it ended up, either.

I agree he has been very good, especially defensively. I don't think Jett is the greatest comparison because their offensive tools and even their physical types are so different.

I still think Yarbrough, Roby, and Gillmann will be a solid foundation going forward. I am still hopeful the other half of the freshman class could pan out too, but those are the three to watch and the ones I most hope we can hang onto for four years.

I agree with this too but Jordair made a pretty historic improvement from his freshman year to his senior year as A-10 POY. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, Billikens that made such a large jump. We certainly can't expect this kind of improvement from DR or any other freshman.

I agree with this too but Jordair made a pretty historic improvement from his freshman year to his senior year as A-10 POY. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, Billikens that made such a large jump. We certainly can't expect this kind of improvement from DR or any other freshman.

Of the freshmen, I think MB will make the greatest leap from where he is now, to where he will be as an upperclassman.

I think the comparison is a valid one. I love Roby and his potential. But his stats aren't as good as Jett's freshman full season numbers.

Jett: 24.1 mpg, 7.5 ppg on 42% shooting, 3.1 rpg and 2.4 apg.

Roby: 22.1 mpg, 5.1 ppg on 38% shooting, 2.6 rpg and 2.1 apg.

Roby has another dozen or so games to catch and pass Jett.

I think the comparison is a valid one. I love Roby and his potential. But his stats aren't as good as Jett's freshman full season numbers.

Jett: 24.1 mpg, 7.5 ppg on 42% shooting, 3.1 rpg and 2.4 apg.

Roby: 22.1 mpg, 5.1 ppg on 38% shooting, 2.6 rpg and 2.1 apg.

Roby has another dozen or so games to catch and pass Jett.

Interesting, maybe Roby just appears more polished handling the ball. Jett was all over the place.

Roby reminds me more of Femi John than Jett. It's hard to compare the numbers since Femi's career was cut short, but I think they serve similar roles - athletic 2/3 defensive stopper, who can slash to the basket a bit. Versatile player. Not likely to project as a go-to player, but an important piece in trying to put together a winning team. For what is worth, Femi's numbers in his brief career: 17 mpg, 4.1 ppg, 2.8 rpg

I certainly don't think Roby will be as dominant as Jett was during his Senior year (who ever will?), but he is way more polished offensively than Jett was as a freshman, especially around the rim. I'd actually like to see him attack the basket more. Roby has scored in double figures 4 times in the past 6 games so let's hope that continues. I guess my overall point was that he doesn't have to improve as dramatically as Jett did in order to be a significant contributor.

I was down on Roby's game at the beginning of the year. I criticized the way he didn't really run the offense and appeared to try to drive the ball to the basket into double coverage every time he touched it.

Now, it seems he has bought in (sorry for using that term) to Crew's offensive system. The result is that he is getting more points just from the open looks he gets in our motion offense than he did when he was trying to make a statement on his own early. I give him a lot of credit for adjusting his game.

So, drastic improvement over a four years = a Jett Career

Drastic improvement over one off season = a Conklin Summer

kshoe, on 30 Jan 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

Why not?