First Practice Event

AMDG

I have sent some emails out. Apparently there is NOTHING planned. No event to see the team preseason.

I don't know who's call this is but it is a horrible idea to me.

We have a team with 6 freshman and 1 transfer who no one has seen play and there is no preseason event to hype these kids? Even the women's team, which is still young but steadily improving doesn't want to showcase the talent they have on hand now? Boggles my mind.

We have a team with 6 freshman and 1 transfer who no one has seen play and there is no preseason event to hype these kids? Even the women's team, which is still young but steadily improving doesn't want to showcase the talent they have on hand now? Boggles my mind.

Completely agree. This is extremely disappointing. This would be a perfect opportunity to showcase the new faces (in addition to showing Grandy, Manning, and the sophomores in their new roles as the core of the team).

Cynical Speculation--we dont want FBJT to see our 'showcase' and start comparing us to Kansas, Kentucky, or Duke.

Another side observation...we went to the NCAAs 3 straight years (and won a game when we got there!)...still not enough to drum up support for any kind of midnight madness.

I am not really surprised or dissapointed. I would rather have no showcase then one where 175 students show up. Disclaimer - I graduated in 2007 so my view of "students caring" is admittedly skewed.

I don't mind not having a first practice/midnight madness type event. They are usually useless.

Are they planning on a fan fest or meet the Billikens kind of night, that might involve more family types and not necessarily banal practice basketball?

I don't mind not having a first practice/midnight madness type event. They are usually useless.

Are they planning on a fan fest or meet the Billikens kind of night, that might involve more family types and not necessarily banal practice basketball?

Pretty sure they aren't doing anything at all

I was told a couple months ago they were hoping to do a fan fest type thing at ball-park village. Meet the players, coaches, etc.

I wonder if that idea wasn't thought through completely and that the uncertainty regarding the Cards playoff schedule has caused them to kill the idea. Or maybe they are waiting to see if the Cards get knocked out in the first round and if they do a bunch of dates will open up and they'll announce something.

Last year was a bit of a disaster as they announced a date and time and it turned out to be immediately after game 2 of the NLCS. Killed attendance.

-if the staff is worried about Cardinals impacting attendance the playoff schedule is published or a Saturday morning could work (the kids event Majerus had was wonderful on a Saturday morning, gosh I wish that could have continued)

-for me they don't need to have popcorn or food or soda or beer, great if they do and if they do it needs to be done right, just a simple event to see the team would do

-seems shortsighted to not build on the capital from 3 straight tourney appearances :(

-if the staff is worried about Cardinals impacting attendance the playoff schedule is published or a Saturday morning could work (the kids event Majerus had was wonderful on a Saturday morning, gosh I wish that could have continued)

-for me they don't need to have popcorn or food or soda or beer, great if they do and if they do it needs to be done right, just a simple event to see the team would do

-seems shortsighted to not build on the capital from 3 straight tourney appearances :(

Your Saturday morning idea could have merit but I can assure you that as a cardinals season ticket holder planning for when the cards will play in October is nearly impossible. Yes, we know the dates there will be games but we don't know whether we will be at home or on the road for the NLCS on certain dates or playing at all. We don't even know what the game time is yet for Monday.

I think they should do a simple open practice if nothing else. They don't need to offer food or anything else, just a simple open practice for an hour and a half or so. Meet and greets are great and all, but I'd rather just see the guys playing some hoops.

Tatum won't be comparing our fan events against Duke, Kansas, etc. I think he has a little bit of common sense and can realize that even if we packed the place, it wouldn't compare.

They need to have something. First practice is Saturday so it obviously won't be that. A simple meet and greet with a Q&A or something would be perfectly fine.

7 new players to meet. No event? That just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't understand why this type of event is always frowned upon by SLU. Maybe it is cost.

There have been several, the best ones were at old West Pine when we had that gym packed. Since then most of these events have been duds.

Crews probably doesn't like them, just as Majerus did. It takes away from actual practice time and the kids can get hurt. Silly excuses considering nearly every other major program hosts an event like this. I don't think any coach looks back and goes "Damn we shouldn't have had that midnight madness event, we would have won this game if we had just 2 more hours of practice time."

Attendance to these things is only a sellout at a couple of schools. Then again if there was preparation and planning I think we could get more fans to an event like this. Its not that difficult. Schedule it at night, get the band there, give away food to the students prior to it, get them there, Get Guy, Bob & Earl to announce, have a few contests and giveaways and you are done. Not that difficult. Oh and tell people about it you know a few weeks before it is occurring, not a few days.

I think they should do a simple open practice if nothing else. They don't need to offer food or anything else, just a simple open practice for an hour and a half or so. Meet and greets are great and all, but I'd rather just see the guys playing some hoops.

This