Welcome Week

bills10

I believe this week and weekend brought most students back to campus. I'm trying to survive my brothers move in to UD. They welcome their largest class ever with the highest scores. I can't find any info about the slu class? I haven't been able to find anything so far. I wish I were moving into reinert again right now!

The guy doing the alumni welcome in Philly today (Jim Curtain) said this year's fre3shman class at SLU was 1600 students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.87 and ACT average scores of 28. Said they achieved their recruiting goals two or three years ahead of schedule.

The guy doing the alumni welcome in Philly today (Jim Curtain) said this year's fre3shman class at SLU was 1600 students with a cumulative grade point average of 3.87 and ACT average scores of 28. Said they achieved their recruiting goals two or three years ahead of schedule.

It has been a long time since I took the ACT, but a 28 seems low for a group of students that had a 3.87 gpa.

It has been a long time since I took the ACT, but a 28 seems low for a group of students that had a 3.87 gpa.

I think this is a weighted GPA, including people who have higher than a 4.0. Still pretty impressive numbers. My brothers class at VD (no longer UD) is actually over 2200, yet the university is much smaller, which I find interesting. Thanks for the responses. I still would choose slu any day of the week.

Impressive?? HA! good one ...

GPA's have become a joke, not only high school but college. Half the kids at SLU now graduate with honors and magna laude, rendering it meaningless. I just had a kid yesterday email me (before I even met her, and before the class has met) telling me her main goal in my class is to "get an A."

the 3.87 GPA of a high school graduate has now become meaningless. I would say it is roughly equivalent to a 2.5 when I went to high school. if you are over 40 you probably remember many classes in high school (not to mention college) where you would beg to get a C. What we have now are entire classes of students who have NEVER gotten a C or below in ANY class -- and many who have never even gotten a B!

I post WW I Germany the frank was so overinflated that people used wheelbarrows to transport loads of bills around. Same with those 3.87 GPAs.

if you are over 40 you probably remember many classes in high school (not to mention college) where you would beg to get a C.

I had to beg for a C at SLU in my Calculus of Imaginary Numbers class, but I think that's because, even then, there was no "i" in team. (The first part of the preceding sentence is actually true.)

And we give every kid a trophy for participating in a sport. What the hell ever happened to "earn it".?

No offense but you do know this is a myth and to the extent that it was ever true (20 years ago?) it was the PARENTS driving the practice (because THEY are the people who needed the trophy).

Every trophy shop I know is out of business and my 6 year old has never got any trophy. She does get a stamp or sticker for participating and she gets pretty pumped for that.

Impressive?? HA! good one ...

GPA's have become a joke, not only high school but college. Half the kids at SLU now graduate with honors and magna ###### laude, rendering it meaningless. I just had a kid yesterday email me (before I even met her, and before the class has met) telling me her main goal in my class is to "get an A."

the 3.87 GPA of a high school graduate has now become meaningless. I would say it is roughly equivalent to a 2.5 when I went to high school. if you are over 40 you probably remember many classes in high school (not to mention college) where you would beg to get a C. What we have now are entire classes of students who have NEVER gotten a C or below in ANY class -- and many who have never even gotten a B!

I post WW I Germany the frank was so overinflated that people used wheelbarrows to transport loads of bills around. Same with those 3.87 GPAs.

I don't know, one of the few redeeming moments of my first year of law school was watching people's heads explode after seeing not just the first Cs of their entire lives, but a GPA with a "2" in front of it. Wouldn't have been nearly as fun if every smart kid in the country wasn't conditioned to expect nothing but A's for two decades beforehand.

No offense but you do know this is a myth and to the extent that it was ever true (20 years ago?) it was the PARENTS driving the practice (because THEY are the people who needed the trophy).

Every trophy shop I know is out of business and my 6 year old has never got any trophy. She does get a stamp or sticker for participating and she gets pretty pumped for that.

Totally agreed. I'm not sure it was ever true. I played Little League 20-25 years ago, and the only trophies given out were for the league champions and the All-Star teams. Some teams let the kids vote for their All-Star representatives and others were chosen by the coaches. I remember lots of hurt feelings over the All-Star team, mainly because of the trophies, and mainly on the part of the parents rather than the kids themselves.

I know in the popular imagination kids of the '80s and '90s were the ones who were spoiled by never being allowed to fail, but in my experience the hyper-competitiveness of the parents and coaches was a way bigger obstacle to having fun than the stereotype of every participant getting a blue ribbon. I'll never forget coaches "scouting" five-year-old tee-ball players in preparation for the "draft" before the first season of real baseball. Another dad threw a fit because his third grade son was dropped out of the cleanup spot in the batting order. Lack of competitiveness from the supervising adults was the opposite of the problem.

• 1 month later...

I believe this week and weekend brought most students back to campus. I'm trying to survive my brothers move in to UD. They welcome their largest class ever with the highest scores. I can't find any info about the slu class? I haven't been able to find anything so far. I wish I were moving into reinert again right now!

Here you go:

It's official. Saint Louis University's official fall 2014 census has just been completed, and this year's freshman class is the most academically accomplished in SLU's nearly 200-year history.

The new students' mean high school GPA of 3.85 and average ACT score of 27.6 are both University records. What's more, nearly one-third of them scored a 30 or better on the ACT, placing them in the top four percent in the entire nation.

In addition to their impressive academic credentials, the class of 2018 also is notable for being the third largest in history, with 1,605 students hailing from 44 U.S. states and more than 20 foreign countries. Nearly 75 percent of freshmen are from outside the St. Louis metropolitan area.

http://www.slu.edu/x97447.xml

Every sport my kids are in gets a trophy at the end of the season.

I think Sign Guy is planning on handing out trophies to each poster at the end of the year too.

I learned very quickly that if you take a foreign

Language that nobody takes the professors will try as hard as possible to keep you passing

In 1998 I got an F in German because I rarely showed up. The professor didn't tell me he was flunking me due to absence and I studied for the final. I was probably still am the best German speaker in that class. I'm not sure why I took German as an elective should've taken something easy.

In 1998 I got an F in German because I rarely showed up. The professor didn't tell me he was flunking me due to absence and I studied for the final. I was probably still am the best German speaker in that class. I'm not sure why I took German as an elective should've taken something easy.

Who did you have?

I am not sure what a frank is, but if you are referring to the French franc, then you are referring to the French reserve currency at the time. The German currency at the time was known as the Deutsche Mark.

This may explain why you had to beg for passing grades.