Recruiting - 2013

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for all: it appears we are very much "close on" with at least 3 spring signees, if not more.

personally, I would be disappointed if we do not sign at least 2 this spring, and 3-4 in the fall. good ones, too...

(sweet 16, if not more, will be a great help, btw...)

roy, you are already wrong. After I suggested that it might make sense to keep one of our current assistants to help us land one or two decent spring recruits that we are in contact with now, your response was... "what recruits would that be? i haven't heard of any senior or juco sophs that we are close on?"

The kid from Jersey lists us in his final two. So is at least one kid we are "close on." Not sure why you can't simply admit you were wrong and move on.

You would think that being #16 in the country would help alleviate some of the bickering around here. I guess not.

So to recap:

A bunch of recruits were at the SLU v. LaSalle game.

A solid (under the radar?) pg from NJ has SLU in his final 2. Getting him to commit would help offset the departure of KC.

If this guy commits we basically have the following "recruits" for 2013:

McBroom: RS SO - SG/PG combo?

Drew: RS FR - SF

Crawford: FR - SF/SG??

Saintil: FR - PG

Not too bad considering the coaching situation. If Crews could lock up a PF/C it would be a serviceable recruiting class.

I wouldn't have guessed he was young enough to be a recruit from looking at him but given that

1) he was sitting in pretty choice seats

2) he was on the floor after the game

3) Chris May told him "We could have used you in that first half"

The only possible conclusions to draw are that he's a former SLU player or a recruit, and I sure as hell don't recognize him as a former player.

If he looks 30, it's Greg Oden...

Also, if we have a PG from Jersey coming in, I'm hoping Drejaj pays him a visit.

I could be off base here, but I think this could be a big spring for bringing in a couple of transfers. We are truly getting some high profile exposure, and if I was a kid thinking about transferring for whatever reason and I saw the second half of the LaSalle game I would be dying to play that style of ball.

for all: it appears we are very much "close on" with at least 3 spring signees, if not more.

personally, I would be disappointed if we do not sign at least 2 this spring, and 3-4 in the fall. good ones, too...

(sweet 16, if not more, will be a great help, btw...)

So, who is doing the majority of this recruiting for us? Is Crews making in-home visits or are the assistants out carrying the torch?

Is " I haven't heard of any" the same as "there aren't any" ?

I would be happy to go through the complete exchange with roy. After he said had not "heard of any" recruits, my respons was...

"Have you heard of everybody we are recruiting? Did you know that we were recruiting Crawford in the fall?"

Followed by roy's

"no, that is why i am not advocating keeping coaches for phantom recruits like you."

So, just because the mighty roy has not heard of names that we are recruiting in the spring does not mean they don't exist. I know he has disdain for Ben's site, but all he has to do is go over there and he'd learn of a few names. This staff IS close on some kids for the spring. They are not "phantoms."

He even concedes that this staff has been recruiting HS juniors. So, why in the hell would an interim staff be recruiting juniors, but not be hot after some recruits for this spring? It logically makes no sense. And even though this is an interim staff are we to believe that the A-10 champs and a top 20 team has not been able to attract the interest of some decent recruits for this spring?

My main premise was that even if Crews is not retained, it might make sense to keep one current staff member on board (Bronson) for some continuity and maintian some of the recruiting relationships that have been established. Not sure why roy took issue with that. But then again, based on some of his "roymors" over the years, not everything he says is rooted in logic or reality.

I could be off base here, but I think this could be a big spring for bringing in a couple of transfers. We are truly getting some high profile exposure, and if I was a kid thinking about transferring for whatever reason and I saw the second half of the LaSalle game I would be dying to play that style of ball.

I've thought for a while that this year's spring class of 3 should be one transfer (any position but preferably a freshman or sophomore), one juco big that can play right away and give us minutes where Cory and Cody used to have them, and one highschool kid (best available, regardless of position).

With 5 schollys to give in 2014 we need to balance the classes a little now but there is no reason not to use all 3 unless you just can't get any skilled players

I've thought for a while that this year's spring class of 3 should be one transfer (any position but preferably a freshman or sophomore), one juco big that can play right away and give us minutes where Cory and Cody used to have them, and one highschool kid (best available, regardless of position).

With 5 schollys to give in 2014 we need to balance the classes a little now but there is no reason not to use all 3 unless you just can't get any skilled players

+1

In terms of high school kids I agree we go after best available player. Even if it comes at a position of depth or if we're recruiting two guys at the same position. A few years ago I was skeptical of the recruitment of Jordair Jett because we already had McCall, Mitchell, Salecich, Reid, Cassity and no open scholarships. Looking back I see how wrong I was. We need scorers and playmakers so I'm all for the best high school player we can.

I too think we'll be in line for some transfers. New coaches often are conducive to incoming transfers. Additionally, our added exposure and available playing time will be attractive.

I think the coaching staff is on the same page with you in terms of JUCO bigs. Also Manning will get playing time, there's no doubt about it

I would be happy to go through the complete exchange with roy. After he said had not "heard of any" recruits, my respons was...

"Have you heard of everybody we are recruiting? Did you know that we were recruiting Crawford in the fall?"

Followed by roy's

"no, that is why i am not advocating keeping coaches for phantom recruits like you."

So, just because the mighty roy has not heard of names that we are recruiting in the spring does not mean they don't exist. I know he has disdain for Ben's site, but all he has to do is go over there and he'd learn of a few names. This staff IS close on some kids for the spring. They are not "phantoms."

He even concedes that this staff has been recruiting HS juniors. So, why in the hell would an interim staff be recruiting juniors, but not be hot after some recruits for this spring? It logically makes no sense. And even though this is an interim staff are we to believe that the A-10 champs and a top 20 team has not been able to attract the interest of some decent recruits for this spring?

My main premise was that even if Crews is not retained, it might make sense to keep one current staff member on board (Bronson) for some continuity and maintian some of the recruiting relationships that have been established. Not sure why roy took issue with that. But then again, based on some of his "roymors" over the years, not everything he says is rooted in logic or reality.

Can't you just give it a rest and quit trying to prove people wrong? Sheesh!!! We're having a great season; let's just enjoy it!

I was told we are close to a couple of very good spring signings. I was not given names. I'm not telling you what to believe, just relaying what was said. I remain in the skeptical category but only until proven wrong -- which I hope to be.

@NH --- What do you mean by tarnsfers? Transfers ala Reggie Bryant and McBroom and Barnett -- guys from one D1 program that have to sit out a year? There would be no real playing time there for a year. Unless that's what you mean. Or do you mean JUCO transfers? Because we all know how JUCO transfers work so well for us ... a PE major at Middle Of Nowhere Kansas Junior College can't get enough of his credits in our school so he goes elsewhere. Or he's a really dedicated PE major and we don't have that so he goes elsewhere.

And Manning will get playing time. Really? Based on what do you make that statement? I sure hope so and I had high hopes for him based on what I perceived to be increasing playing time in the OOC schedule but he's been MIA ever since. The kid looks like he is walking on egg shells when he is out there. And while he is "energy,' the rest of Grandy's game needs tons of refinement. I am also reluctant to believe McBroom and Drew provide much so if they do, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I believe the gentleman's accord struck by Crews and May for the season will hold throughout as f05 has said. That does not concern me right now. . I could also see Bronson as the main recruiter and being th eone to stay, with Whitesell being up in the air more than Crews. So that continuity will stay. Right now, I have to believe we will be fine. What choice do we/I have?

@NH --- What do you mean by tarnsfers? Transfers ala Reggie Bryant and McBroom and Barnett -- guys from one D1 program that have to sit out a year? There would be no real playing time there for a year. Unless that's what you mean. Or do you mean JUCO transfers? Because we all know how JUCO transfers work so well for us ... a PE major at Middle Of Nowhere Kansas Junior College can't get enough of his credits in our school so he goes elsewhere. Or he's a really dedicated PE major and we don't have that so he goes elsewhere.

And Manning will get playing time. Really? Based on what do you make that statement? I sure hope so and I had high hopes for him based on what I perceived to be increasing playing time in the OOC schedule but he's been MIA ever since. The kid looks like he is walking on egg shells when he is out there. And while he is "energy,' the rest of Grandy's game needs tons of refinement. I am also reluctant to believe McBroom and Drew provide much so if they do, I will be pleasantly surprised.

I believe the gentleman's accord struck by Crews and May for the season will hold throughout as f05 has said. That does not concern me right now. . I could also see Bronson as the main recruiter and being th eone to stay, with Whitesell being up in the air more than Crews. So that continuity will stay. Right now, I have to believe we will be fine. What choice do we/I have?

I agree with every part of this. It will be interesting to see if Whitesell can get a decent head coaching job offer after this year.

Can't you just give it a rest and quit trying to prove people wrong? Sheesh!!! We're having a great season; let's just enjoy it!

Don't worry angry man, I am enjoying it. Why wouldn't I be? It has been thoroughly enjoyable to watch what RM built take shape and flourish. These have been special times. Also great to see the phantom spring recruits come to life. It is also nice to be on the right side of history, yet again. :D

I'm pretty much on the same page. I know we haven't done a lot of jucos recently, but this would be the time to try to get one Another market we should look at would be trying to get one of those guys who is eligible for one year. Somebody like Swopshire (from last year) could step in and fill a role. It seems like every year, there are more of these kind of players floating around out there. We looked into it a few years ago with Kowal. Prep school is another market to look at to try to find a more mature big.

I think Manning can step in and provide what Cory did. Hopefully Rob and Grandy will improve, so we really need a 4th big who can step in and contribute. Also agree about a transfer. This would be a good time to land a high profile player (regardless of position) who can sit out and be ready to go after Jett/McCall and Co. graduate.

Unfortunately, the loss of Carter creates an opening for another guard. Is McBroom more of a 1 or 2? Hopefully a 1 which would allow us to target a big scoring 2 guard.

Knowing we will be in the Big East before Spring recruiting would be a HUGE benefit.

I was told we are close to a couple of very good spring signings. I was not given names. I'm not telling you what to believe, just relaying what was said. I remain in the skeptical category but only until proven wrong -- which I hope to be.

Majerus was not a fan of juco transfers for many reasons, most of which was that he knew it would take players a year or two to figure out his system and he didn't want to have them figure it out only to be gone a year later. He definitely oversold the "I can't get jucos into SLU" aspect of it though. We have had plenty of jucos of the year and if we can find another Kenny Brown type or guys like Stemmler or Harrellson that didn't end up at SLU we should definitely do it.

The team next year will need some immediate big man help and a juco can provide it and so will Manning. We have 10 scholarship players and a rotation of only 9 right now. Most teams don't even go 9 deep. It doesn't mean the 10th player, a big-man sophomore, doesn't have a future which is something you insinuated a few weeks back. Give it a rest.

Don't worry angry man, I am enjoying it. Why wouldn't I be? It has been thoroughly enjoyable to watch what RM built take shape and flourish. These have been special times. Also great to see the phantom spring recruits come to life. It is also nice to be on the right side of history, yet again. :D

"Angry man"? You just can't let the political stuff from THIRTEEN years ago go, can you?

Majerus was not a fan of juco transfers for many reasons, most of which was that he knew it would take players a year or two to figure out his system and he didn't want to have them figure it out only to be gone a year later. He definitely oversold the "I can't get jucos into SLU" aspect of it though. We have had plenty of jucos of the year and if we can find another Kenny Brown type or guys like Stemmler or Harrellson that didn't end up at SLU we should definitely do it.

The team next year will need some immediate big man help and a juco can provide it and so will Manning. We have 10 scholarship players and a rotation of only 9 right now. Most teams don't even go 9 deep. It doesn't mean the 10th player, a big-man sophomore, doesn't have a future which is something you insinuated a few weeks back. Give it a rest.

He did occasionally target jucos. Two of them wound up signing with, of all placed Utah. The one in particular, Will Clyburn, is one hell of a player. He is now at Iowa State. Not sure if you have seen him play. Athletic 6-7, rebounding/scoring machine. When I imagine him in Billiken blue, wow! He is in the "one who got away" category. He made a couple visits and we were in his top 3. Oh well, we've done pretty well without him.