Big East Talk

Fansince59

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth and what it means --Chris May told a close friend of mine to "wait till next year" on whether SLU will join Big East. My friend gathered that May was hinting that we will be joining the Big East.

Did May tell your friend exactly when the Big East decision might be made? Or when they would be meeting for expansions talks?

I would guess getting into the BE would make FBJT a sure thing

Nothing's a sure thing until the check clears and the money's in your account. It seems to make sense that the Beast expand to at least 12 teams for a bigger footprint in the mid west. Actually might not even surprise me to see them add 4 teams: both DU and SLU, and then add Richmond and VCU as well. As for FBJT, playing in the Beast can't hurt, but you're still going up against KY, UNC, Duke, and KU at a minimum. Those are pretty high buildings to leap over, but landing in the Beast might just swing the metrics in our favor. No doubt the Fetz would be rocking next year if we had teams like Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown, etc making trips to Billiken nation.

This is a not-so-crazy idea:

Assuming the BE doesn’t want VCU because it is a large public university, I believe adding 6 teams, SLU, UD, Belmont, Davidson,

Richmond, and Davidson, makes sense. You could create 4 pods, play each team in your pod twice, play the other teams in the

league once, and you would have an 18 game conference schedule. Also, 5 expansion teams add a major teams add a major tv

market, and Dayton is an okay tv market. Boston, Richmond, Charlotte, Nashville and St. Louis are all sizable markets. With 16

teams, I highly doubt the league would ever have less than 6 teams in the tourney. Granted, the Northeast division would be

weak currently, things are cyclical.

Northeast: Boston U, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall

East: Villanova, Georgetown, Richmond, Davidson

Midwest: Dayton, Xavier, Butler, Belmont

West: SLU, DePaul, Marquette, Creighton

This is a not-so-crazy idea:

Assuming the BE doesn’t want VCU because it is a large public university, I believe adding 6 teams, SLU, UD, Belmont, Davidson,

Richmond, and Davidson, makes sense. You could create 4 pods, play each team in your pod twice, play the other teams in the

league once, and you would have an 18 game conference schedule. Also, 5 expansion teams add a major teams add a major tv

market, and Dayton is an okay tv market. Boston, Richmond, Charlotte, Nashville and St. Louis are all sizable markets. With 16

teams, I highly doubt the league would ever have less than 6 teams in the tourney. Granted, the Northeast division would be

weak currently, things are cyclical.

Northeast: Boston U, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall

East: Villanova, Georgetown, Richmond, Davidson

Midwest: Dayton, Xavier, Butler, Belmont

West: SLU, DePaul, Marquette, Creighton

It's a crazy idea to add Davidson twice.

It's a crazy idea to add Davidson twice.

Won't happen. Beast believes they are a major conference. Adding teams like Davidson, BU, and Belmont would change that image. The fact they raided the A10 and the MVC of their most successful programs didn't impact their image. Granted, even those 3 couldn't replace schools like UL, SYR, Pitt, but they were nationally known for their successes in the dance.

What is going to happen is we finally re seat: they said we would update according to points after three years. It has been eight. If we win the A10 tournament get out your checkbooks if you want the same searts or better

My interpretation of may's comment: with the season started, all eyes are focused on playing, not realignment. Any talk likely wouldn't be broached until next year at the earliest. Sit down. Relax. Enjoy the ride. Ask me again next year (when the same answer could very well apply).

Last year's New Big East was somewhat of a disappointment. Both product-wise and TV-wise according to east coast sources. It took a substantial hit from the old days without Uconn, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt. No matter how good Xavier, Creighton and Butler are, they are just not the same. So all the gusto over the reformation was played out and deleted. Now ... Ackerman and company are not rushing into a fool's land and expanding to expand. They need to let the product and new brand develop.

Could it happen? Sure. Saint Louis and Dayton have never enjoyed such lofty heights before (recent history) and they seem logical additions. More logical to us closest to the center of that universe. But we don't make that call. Both western Big East outposts and that will shoot the balance. Lots has to happen. Lots has to be decided. I know for a fact that SLu folks are at the table. If and when the table is convened.

What is going to happen is we finally re seat: they said we would update according to points after three years. It has been eight. If we win the A10 tournament get out your checkbooks if you want the same searts or better

I was told that we will not re seat until the Athletic Department believes that they can make a substantial increase in revenue from it. Some of the football schools that re seat they said can get millions - now SLU would not look to make millions but a tidy sum non the less for us. They will not re seat just to re seat and to simply raise a few hundred thousands. By the way a study is being done by a Cook business school graduate class on how to make the Billiken Club better and more of an economic force. So, I would look for all of this to come together at some point. I do agree they will be re seating eventually but not until they are ready to make a big splash money wise.

It's my understanding that the BE tv contract only allows for the same payout for 2 more teams. If that's the case, then there is no way they go beyond 12 in the near future. Let's say they expand with SLU and UD, the next step, in my opinion, is to wait until right before the contract runs and use two more possible candidates as leverage in negotiations (say, VCU and UR or VCU and UConn if the landscape shifts significantly).

Not to rain on these hopes of re seating, but I don't think SLU is a shoo in if those two slots do open. Our main competition would appear to be DU and Richmond. From a geographic standpoint, the Beast's best, read economical, would be to add UR and either DU or SLU. Why? Well, there are currently 5 East Coast based teams; GU, Nova, STJ, Prov, and SH. UR is on the east coast and fits the profile. So, to have two geographic divisions you'd add one team from the Midwest, either SLU or UD. Now on many metrics DU's a better choice, sorry to say. Bigger arena, long term record of strong attendance, and the SVU'ers travel incredibly well. Plus, they have this Kim Kardashian aura about them. Why? I have no idea, as one elite eight appearance should not make up for a lot of mediocre seasons. What hurts them is proximity to X, if X looks at them like Nova looks at St. Joe's and LaSalle. Then again X may want to renew their I75 rivalry with them. Now SLU does have more recent basketball success to point to and a more successful overall athletic program when you consider baseball and soccer. Believe me, I hope we get in someday, but we're going to have to win our way to the promised land.

Not to rain on these hopes of re seating, but I don't think SLU is a shoo in if those two slots do open. Our main competition would appear to be DU and Richmond. From a geographic standpoint, the Beast's best, read economical, would be to add UR and either DU or SLU. Why? Well, there are currently 5 East Coast based teams; GU, Nova, STJ, Prov, and SH. UR is on the east coast and fits the profile. So, to have two geographic divisions you'd add one team from the Midwest, either SLU or UD. Now on many metrics DU's a better choice, sorry to say. Bigger arena, long term record of strong attendance, and the SVU'ers travel incredibly well. Plus, they have this Kim Kardashian aura about them. Why? I have no idea, as one elite eight appearance should not make up for a lot of mediocre seasons. What hurts them is proximity to X, if X looks at them like Nova looks at St. Joe's and LaSalle. Then again X may want to renew their I75 rivalry with them. Now SLU does have more recent basketball success to point to and a more successful overall athletic program when you consider baseball and soccer. Believe me, I hope we get in someday, but we're going to have to win our way to the promised land.

Yeah, but how many TV's do they have in their market? And they are very close to Cincinnati (Xavier). Big disadvantage to Dayton.

The advantage SLU has over other 'west' schools is if a team like GT demands to play in 18K+ arena, Scottrade is 'down the block'... And, it would only be every other year.

The BE has made my Alma Mater play most its games at MSG for this very reason, while the away game would be in ... let's say, the Carrier dome.

From a $$$ stand point, SJU Carnesecca 'arena' is way under 10K, and SLU would want to play in MSG, which in turn might have the Johnnies want to play in Scottrade the following year. $$$ talks and play a role in everything.

I understand the Bills play in a 10k+ house, but being in the BE would most certainly create some 'big house' games.

I also concur only two teams will join, with home n home w/n division & alt home n home with other six teams. This will allow current scheduling contracts with Syr, Pitt, etc. to continue with other original BE teams and have a 16 game league schedule.