After seeing MU v IL, Anyone else think we'd beat the Tigers 2 out of 3 times this year?

Admittedly I didn't see the whole game due to the Bills shellacking ASU, but has anyone played defense against the Tigers this year? I get the feeling the Tigers would be extremely frustrated playing our defense to the point of heads exploding......

Too bad they're too yella' to find out......

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. the billikens are indeed the best team in the two state area.

I agree that they are either the best "team" or close to it. Having gone to U of I for grad school I follow them quite a bit. This is the first year in a long time that I actually think SLU could legitimately beat them consistently Like we seem to hear/say a lot, I think the raw talent on Illinois is better, but they still don't seem to play as a team yet. I haven't seen Mizzou as much. Honestly, they should have won that game last night by 20 except that they decided to run down the court and pop 3 pointers 5 seconds into the shot clock. I would love to see SLU get the opportunities to play teams like this in the future. Keep winning and we'll be able to get some comparable teams on our schedule.

Mizzou's guards are very quick and athletic. As a Billiken fan I would not want to see anyone besides our 3 point guards guarding them. Would be a fun game for sure though. It would come down to who can dictate the pace of the game.

i was laughing watching the second half of the mi$$ouri and illinois game. my gosh, the tigers might be loaded with athletes, but do they even practice any sort of an offense? i never saw so many horrible possession for a supposed top 10 team in all my life. i thought booby knight was going to stroke out after pressey threw up like his third early in the shot clock three when their lead was dwindling.

as much as i dog rickma, it has never been for his coaching and rickma would eat haith alive on the court.

illinois is just young. by year end illinois will be very good imo. it was fun to watch the guard off the bench for illinois have the big game. i was happy for him.

now as to the real two state champion, the billikens were very very good last night. the rebounding was a thing of beauty. if you looked at the two teams standing side by side, we had no business dominating the boards as they had more athletes and mores size, but man, conklin, evans, cody, jett, they have become training films for rebounding. at least last night they were.

I watched as Mizzou tried to hand that game to Illinois in the second half as well. I found myself rooting for Mizzou to win figuring the lower ranked Ilini would drop out of the next poll and allow some other, deserving team (hint, hint) to be ranked again. But that was indeed tough.

So I watched as an observer rather than a fan. I've seen Mizzou before ---- they seem to run the same offense as Xavier in my opinion. Knight's most interesting comment was on the one Mizzou guard, maybe it was Dixon, who dribbled the ball 17 times before going one-on-one late in the shot clock. Nice. Amazed Knight could count that high and actually did do it. The big guy played the role of Xavier's big guys in crashing the boards for putbacks as Iliinois' big men sloughed off to help on the dribble drive. Leonard was way too late and way too indecisive on providing help defense on the drives.

And they guy was right about Xavier losing to Long Beach State as well beating Xavier in Hawaii last night. Stopping Mizzou and/or Xavier seems to come down to shutting down the guards straight up.

We'd give them a good game on a neutral court this yr for sure. MU is overrated. We'd be all over their guards with our depth, play hard "D". They have a slight edge, but whoever plays their best, hits their shots, wins in this matchup.

BUT it is irrelevant, the sissies won't play us, all that big state and federal money and TV money and a huge athletic budget and they are afraid of St. Louis U!

Man up, Mizzou, Mizzou, play the Billikens every year, neutral site or home and away.

I glimpsed at SL Post on line, Missouri got the headline font, we got the small-small font at the bottom. 11-1, thats what we get.

(I discontinued my daily delivery of that radical left wing rag a month ago; a couple of editors and another rep called me, wanted to know why, blasted them for 1/2 hour, each! SLU disrespect was mentioned!)

We could take 2 of 3 at home. On a neutral court Mizzou by 1.

Mizzou was certainly exposed a little last night and you have to look at their schedule and say they've played 4 decent teams. Two were huge wins (Cal and ND), one was a solid win (Villanova) and one could have gone either way. The other games against crap teams in Columbia don't mean much, if anything. They aren't the dominate team they looked like just a few weeks ago.

That being said, the one thing they haven't done is have a complete crap game like the one we had at LMU. We can make all the excuses we want about being tired and on the road but losing that game does matter. Mizzou hasn't stumbled like that. Otherwise the two teams have very similar resumes.

Of course, most mizzou fans will tell you we don't even belong on the same court as them, so we'll just have to keep wondering...

First of all, ND was not a huge win for MO this year - ND is not a very good team and now that they lost one of their top players their record will really not be that impressive. Second, the MO guards may be quick but I doubt that they would be able to disrupt our guards enough to matter. Third, I have seen MO play now 3 times (not whole games) but what I have seen each time is a team that seems to play other teams that get a brain fart with throwing the ball around crazily. Last night when they had the lead at the end IL started playing hot potato with it and it was not because MO was pressuring them all that much. They simply just threw the ball and the game away in the last 2 minutes. Finally, Biondi can call the new MO Chancellor but that guy is simply another MO graduate who thinks their stuff does not stink - so I doubt it would be worth the time to dial the number.

A certain usually well-tanned man in a black suit should make it a point to contact Mizzou's new chancellor immediately to welcome him to his new job and discuss various inter-state cooperation.

Does that suit comes with a white tab insert as well?

First of all, ND was not a huge win for MO this year - ND is not a very good team and now that they lost one of their top players their record will really not be that impressive. Second, the MO guards may be quick but I doubt that they would be able to disrupt our guards enough to matter. Third, I have seen MO play now 3 times (not whole games) but what I have seen each time is a team that seems to play other teams that get a brain fart with throwing the ball around crazily. Last night when they had the lead at the end IL started playing hot potato with it and it was not because MO was pressuring them all that much. They simply just threw the ball and the game away in the last 2 minutes. Finally, Biondi can call the new MO Chancellor but that guy is simply another MO graduate who thinks their stuff does not stink - so I doubt it would be worth the time to dial the number.

Perhaps you didn't notice our lackidazical effort on passing last night, but it was there. Mizzou would bring a speed and defensive intensity SLU has not seen. I hate Mizzou, but you can not deny their ability to push a tempo, and I believe it would take a little longer than usual for SLU to recover. Luckily, our defense and general approach to the game would prevent us from getting blown out, thus giving the Bills a fighting chance..but in conclusion, I think this Mizzou team is very special. They are a blast to watch (did i mention how much I hate the Tigers and their fans, so this statement kills me) and believe they also have the confidence of a top team.

BTW..how good does that Oklahoma win look? They are rolling.

A certain usually well-tanned man in a black suit should make it a point to contact Mizzou's new chancellor immediately to welcome him to his new job and discuss various inter-state cooperation.

-when is the last time you saw him in a black suit?

Perhaps you didn't notice our lackidazical effort on passing last night, but it was there. Mizzou would bring a speed and defensive intensity SLU has not seen. I hate Mizzou, but you can not deny their ability to push a tempo, and I believe it would take a little longer than usual for SLU to recover. Luckily, our defense and general approach to the game would prevent us from getting blown out, thus giving the Bills a fighting chance..but in conclusion, I think this Mizzou team is very special. They are a blast to watch (did i mention how much I hate the Tigers and their fans, so this statement kills me) and believe they also have the confidence of a top team. BTW..how good does that Oklahoma win look? They are rolling.

i agree that was the case for about 8 minutes. but then after the second media timeout we got a number of backdoors because of the ark st overplays and that stopped. if rickma has time to prepare the billikens would be ready for the tiger overplaying gamble defense and would rip it apart. the tigers are very weak on the extra pass and they do not play help defense very well i believe the likes of conklin and evans would have field days against the tigers to the point they would have to drop back just as ark state did last night. when that happens, then the billiken guards and ellis and loe would have their opportunities.

i do not think the billikens would beat the tigers as badly as they beat ark st last night, but i do think that the billikens match up extremely well. mitchell would do a far better job on pressey than any illini player did. the tigers really have less inside bigs than slu has. what the tigers have in the way of sheer athletic guards is offset by a very impatient and simplistic offense. pressey took three shots down the stretch that were flat out laughable. sure he might make those, but they were stupid and nearly cost the game.

against the billikens extra pass and one more screen offense, i would bet that the tiger athleticism will break down and yield the open lane for evans and conk. i'd take the billikens to win. close game, but billikens.

Perhaps you didn't notice our lackidazical effort on passing last night, but it was there. Mizzou would bring a speed and defensive intensity SLU has not seen. I hate Mizzou, but you can not deny their ability to push a tempo, and I believe it would take a little longer than usual for SLU to recover. Luckily, our defense and general approach to the game would prevent us from getting blown out, thus giving the Bills a fighting chance..but in conclusion, I think this Mizzou team is very special. They are a blast to watch (did i mention how much I hate the Tigers and their fans, so this statement kills me) and believe they also have the confidence of a top team.

BTW..how good does that Oklahoma win look? They are rolling.

Yes I saw that in our game but really, when you are up 20 it is hard to maintain the same kind of focus - if I remember we only had 9 TOs so our passing could not have been overall that bad. I disagree - MO guards from what I have seen would not be a problem for us handle if we don't have our heads up or a$$. Agree the OU win has turned out big for us. Hope they knock off MO.

We'd give them a good game on a neutral court this yr for sure. MU is overrated. We'd be all over their guards with our depth, play hard "D". They have a slight edge, but whoever plays their best, hits their shots, wins in this matchup.

BUT it is irrelevant, the sissies won't play us, all that big state and federal money and TV money and a huge athletic budget and they are afraid of St. Louis U!

Man up, Mizzou, Mizzou, play the Billikens every year, neutral site or home and away.

I glimpsed at SL Post on line, Missouri got the headline font, we got the small-small font at the bottom. 11-1, thats what we get.

(I discontinued my daily delivery of that radical left wing rag a month ago; a couple of editors and another rep called me, wanted to know why, blasted them for 1/2 hour, each! SLU disrespect was mentioned!)

:lol: You probably haven't noticed, but the "radical left wing rag" has given us a lot of positive coverage over the last month or so. Funny how that happens when the program starts winning.

BTW, you never told us why you think Yancy Gates "singled out" Kenny Frease. Please elaborate.