Great win when we didn't play our best ball

SLUDrew

You have to love winning a game against such a quality opponent when neither Ian or Tommie had strong games. If you would have told me that neither one of them would play particularly well tonight, I would have told you we didn't have a chance. This team showed a ton of heart tonight.

i thought it was ian's best game of the year. he didnt get near the touches he should have with liddell turning the ball over all night. but he had about 7 blocks it seemed and some amazing defensive rebounds.

i will give you liddell's bad game, and justin and danny didnt help much either,

but i will take ian, dwayne, kevin and luke's efforts tonite every nite. add a typical liddell game tonite we win that game by 15.

Roy, while I agree that Ian certainly didn't have a horrible game, he could have domintated that. During the first few minutes he showed what he is capable of inside. He pinned his much smaller defender deep, and had easy lay-ins. I would like to see him do that for an entire game. Granted we need to get him the ball in position to score. but he could be more asertive.

I don't want to take anything away from tonight's win though. It was a great effort

Roy, while I agree that Ian certainly didn't have a horrible

game, he could have domintated that.

You can't dominate if you don't get the touches. This team has to realize that when your in one of those scoring droughts, give the big man a try. Poor passing all night, never really put Ian in a good spot to score.

i thought it was ian's best game of the year. he didnt get

near the touches he should have with liddell turning the

ball over all night. but he had about 7 blocks it seemed

and some amazing defensive rebounds.

In complete agreement, Tommie never stepped up to the challenge. I spoke with him earlier in the day and pretty much forecast how

Mo. St. would play him defensively. I told him their guards would attempt to get under him, how he should combat that, but he never adapted. I was hoping coach gave the ballhandling duties to Polk and have Tommie post or roam the interior for offensive rebounds.

polk dominated ahearn and laurie did the same to liddell. i'd call that a draw on "what if's" so billikens win fair and square.

>polk dominated ahearn and laurie did the same to liddell.

>i'd call that a draw on "what if's" so billikens win fair

>and square.

First of all Roy we didn't win fair and square. The reality is we lost this game. Thank god only one ref had good vision. Second, you guys are crazy if you think this was a victory. On paper yes, but I will say it again. We are not going to win games scoring only 51 points and 22 turnovers.

rogue, the decision at the end of the game is the same as any other referee judgement call. if we saw on a replay that mitchell traveled on a drive to the basket, can we take off 2 points and claim victory? your assertation is stupid. once the refs leave the floor all is final. if missouri state doubted the call of the replay it should have been settled then.

as to the 51 points and 22 turnovers, you already answered your own question since we just won a game with those statistics. you seem to insinuate that the 51 pts and the 22 turnovers are the norm when the reality is that it is the exception. give missouri state some credit. they are a good team. good teams play the game can look ugly. i didnt particularly think the gonzaga and duke game last nite was a thing of beauty either, both teams shot under 40% and gonzaga only scored 54 points. i bet you arent saying that gonzaga wont win any games this year this morning.

Billiken Roy, try winning tonight with 51 points and 22 turnovers. Instead of the refs telling us if we lost or won on the last second video.they can tell us if we lost by 29 or 30.

As far as the outcome of the MSU game it's still a win for us and nothing can be done but it was a mistake or a bad call. As far as going back to look at Mitchell's traveling that is not review-able. I thought you knew basketball.

As far as the Gonzaga/Duke game your right they only scored 54 points but they only had 10 turnovers. I don't think we are nearly the team Gonzaga is so yes I do believe they will win more games this year.

it is also not reviewable 2 days later to question the decision of that last shot. but that is what you are doing. i agree that my example is stupid. it was made to show how stupid your assertation is.

you focused on turnovers, i focused on very poor shooting. both were caused by good defense. both created what appeared to be ugly games from the casual fans point of view.

again, you made a stupid point, so i did as well to show your own ridiculous statement for what it was. we dont AVERAGE 51 points a game and 22 turnovers. we average 68 ppg and 14 turnovers. it was not the norm yet you insinuate it was. do some homework before making statements.

exactly Roy ... we keep wanting to look at the clock and say we shouldn't have won. I disagree 100%. How can you selectively look back and say what decisions the refs made count and which don't. It's all moot. We won. As far as being ugly ... I thought it was beautiful ... WE WON. Yes we had 22 turnovers, but 9 by 1 guy who doesn't normally make nearly that many. Imo ... the Mo St. defense caused that, not just sloppy play by Tommy. Tough D causes offensive mistakes, whether it be lousy shooting or a few too many turnovers.

Would it be a "pretty" game if we had won 72-71, had only 10 turnovers and shot 48% from the field. Would it still be pretty if we only forced 10 turnovers and allowed the opponent to shoot 50% from the field.

Good defense is beautiful.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

"...again, you made a stupid point, so i did as well to show your own ridiculous statement for what it was."

Roy, if I jumped off a cliff would you follow me? Don't you have an original thought of your own? If my statements are so stupid why just reiterate them?

Where did I say 51 points and 22 turnovers are the norm for the Billikens. My statement was that we are going to half to do better than this to win games. How did you insinuate from my statement that this is what I supposedly see when I sit at the games?

If 51 points and 22 turnovers are acceptable in your eyes---okay.

because i wouldnt make the statement at all if it was not the norm. why would anyone else? they dont normally score only 51 and turn it over 22 times but you said they wont win again doing that.

ANY team that scores 50 points with 22 turnovers probably won't win a game, unless it's a team like SIU that can barely score and still win. I don't see what's confusing about this, or worthy of an argument. It "beat" MSU because MSU played horribly. I was there, I watched the game. It was the worst I've ever seen them play. To me, that is a good thing since it still came down to a last 0.1 second call (even if it really was past the clock, the refs made the right call with what they had within the rules).

On another note, you guys' fans are the most quiet people I've ever seen at a sporting event.

>f0,

>

>evidently, SMS couldn't handle two tough defensive teams.

>you need to get that corrected before the MVC post-season

>tournament gets here.

Once again, what're you talking about? The Bears do fine against SIU every year. Considering they've been to the NCAA tournament 5 years in a row, I don't mind splitting a series with them. SLU did play some good defense, yes, but that's not why we lost the game (I'm not referring to the mismanaged clock situation either). I didn't post to debate with you or listen to you try to insult my team, either, so what's your point? I can't correct anything about the team regardless.