Women's Basketball

STL_fan

Hello all. I am new to the board. I signed up hoping I could catch some people's opinions on how SLU's women's basketball team is doing this year. I am a varsity coach in the area and Shimmy is looking at a couple of my players. I saw that the team started off red hot but has hit a 3-game skid as of late. Did they play sub-par teams the first five games and now that they are playing quality teams it is difficult for them to pull out a win? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi there, and welcome to the board! Shimmy's squad is a whole lot better than Jill's ever was. She really is trying to build something special. The 3-game skid is just that, a 3-game skid. I was at last night's game against Illinois, and it wasn't one of the better games they've played. It also didn't help the fact the refs were just ABSOLUTELY terrible. One of them actually complained about the band playing "Three Blind Mice" after a bad call the last game and was seriously offended and would throw the band out if we did it again (yeah, let's see him try). All that aside, the women's team is going to take their strides as this is Shimmy's halfway rebuilt squad. They're going to win their fair share this year.

6 very very very talented freshmen. it is the absolute greatest recruiting class todate at slu for any slu sports team imo.

Welcome to the board! Here is my opinion on the women's basketball team: honestly, until last year, I didn't think women's basketball was a sport (funny especially since I am a female myself). I have also been going to women's games for the last 4 seasons, and what Coach Gray-Miller has done with this squad is absolutely phenomenal. She has taken a team that hasn't had a winning season in 10 years to almost doubling their wins in her first year alone (correct me if I'm wrong on my facts here anybody). Now she has an absolutely stellar freshmen class and a 38th-ranked freshmen class coming in next year. I have said it before and I will continue to say it: within the next 2 seasons, Shimmy will take her team to the top of the A-10 and to the NCAA Tournament.

I went to the game vs. Illinois last night, and something that I wanted to mention was that SLU was down by 21 points with like 5 minutes left and they fought back to only go down by 9. They played their hearts out and Shimmy approached that game when we were by down by 21 as if we were only down by 1. That is how you make a championship team: don't let them give up.

Their first 5 games were against easier teams than Illinois, but they need to start building somewhere. I think if we played them again next year, we would win.

Actually, the lady bills had a winning record in the 02-03 season and made the WNIT but Jill figured out a way to Phuck up against Iowa and the next season she was a disaster, Shimmy is well respected by her players and coaches witch is the key since Jill made her coaches start her showers and get oil changes in her car