Marquette St. Louis game

DarkWarrior

First, I come in PEACE!

[p]I rarely post on the other teams board, but after reading several posts I was really impressed with information being shared on this board.

[p]I really look forward to St. Louis games. They are always a battle no matter the talent either team. This game could potentially tilt either way as I see it. MU with a solid early season record has played pretty average at times pulling off victories with a fair share of luck and late game heroics. If Scott Merritt sleep walks through this game which he has done in several this year you probably win.

[p]If you can shut down Merritt, Novak and Diener our scoring falls off significantly and Travis Diener is our only real go-to guy when the clock runs down. Dameon Mason is without a doubt the best offensive scorer on the team but Crean is meticulously growing the freshman's minutes. Keep an eye on him if he enters the fray. [p]I will entertaining in a suite at the Bradley Center tonight and even invited some St. Louis fans. Should be a great Saturday night.

[p]Best of luck and may the best Jesuits win!

Very nice entry level post and welcome. Matchup problems might be our main concern tonight .... with two 6'10" guys in Novak and Merritt, both of whom appear to do their best work from the outside in, will be a challenge. Either Drejaj or JFisher should work on Deiner but whomever has him should never sluff off once he guives up the ball. Sloam might work on Novak but I don't know who we match up with Merritt. If we go Sloan on Merritt, who do we put on Novak who won't be shot over? Izik?

I don't think we can allow as much help defense down low as we have in the past. I would tell whomever that whoever he is guarding has to be guarded .... in other words, once the ball leaves the hands of a Novak or a Deiner, its denial defense so the ball doesn't come back. If the ball is dumped in low and the defender retreats to help, the kiss out back to the open passer could be deadly. I think I'd rather see if MU can beat us on the inside and take away the outside.

In any case, welcome and best of luck to you guys as well. Same as to where your conference travels take you and here's hoping we all meet back later ondown the road. The Big Least can't be the answer.

very classy post. thank you for your visit. please visit here anytime.

i agree the winner of the inside game tonite will be the difference maker. i feel scoring wise, bryant and diener can offset each other. but the inconsistent and far reaches of the output's of frericks and merritt sure could tell the story.

DarkWarrior, thanks for the visit.

In my view, our Josh Fisher has to play 39-40 minutes tonight, our center, Tom Frericks, has to play 25-28 minutes, and our best scoring threat, Reggie Bryant, has to have a good night. Fouls and Bryant's shooting will be key for SLU. Local paper has Marquette an 8+ points favor.

Have you heard anything about an early season "Jesuit Shootout" (see below thread)? It sounds good to me!

>>Matchup problems might be our main concern tonight .... with two 6'10" guys in Novak and Merritt<<

With Frericks and Izik on the floor, I don't see a matchup problem. Merritt does not have the range of Novak (so I think Tom can cover him away from the basket) and Izik is very mobile for a 6'9" guy with long arms so I don't see that he should have a problem guarding Novak on the perimeter.

Now, if Frericks gets in foul trouble and Ross (or Ian) is asked to guard Merritt, then we got problems. I know coach is very unlikely to go there but JJ should guard Merritt when Frericks comes out.

If a wild card like Dameon Mason comes off the bench contributes offensively for MU that would be trouble as I feel comfortable that (absent foul trouble) SLU's defense can contain Deiner, Novak and Merritt. As Frericks is prone to foul trouble, if Merritt were to use his quick moves in the post on Tom early in game, I would not be surprised that MU could get him out of the game in the first 10 minutes of the first half or sooner (with Coach's absolute 2 foul rule). Then we got trouble.

On the flip side, Frericks is much stronger than Merritt. I'd like to see us pound the ball down low to Tom early to see what he can do.

I agree that Josh has to be on the floor most of the game and TF needs to get the ball inside and score ... we need 30 min. from him. IO is also important in this game ... we need more than just his good defense of late ... we need him to score. RB of course needs to get his points.

Who will Marquette likely put on RB?

I think we are playing well and a couple of the guys are starting to pick it up the last game or 2 such as IO and AD. To win this game we need them to continue to play up to their abilities.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman