Rammer at noon

My post above was no knock on DP. If he finds his shot, any shot, that would be huge and he probably would start. But as someone said, he's had two years of airballs and clinkers. This from a kid who scored 38 ppg in a state championship game to personally carry his team to the title. When DP came in I thought we were getting a Tim Smith type guard. He's got the speed, handles, and quickness, but his defender is not afraid to let him shoot from just about anywhere on the court. AS for LM starting, I just think UB's going to be more comfortable with a player who plays within his system and gives a 110% when he's out there. That is LM in a nutshell.

No one is ready to throw Dwayne under a bus but a 5'9" guard with no mid or long range jumpshot is a major liability on the floor for a somewhat offensively challenged squad. I HOPE to see Polk out there for 25-30 minutes per game, shooting over 50% from the field. We'd be a MUCH better team then.....

Seems to me as though nobody is mentioning what I think is one of the real keys to success this year--improved free throw shooting. With the questionable offensive ability of this team, there a re bound to be several games decided by single digits. Improving the free throw shooting to about 78% should give the Bills an additional 4-7 ppg (many points lost last year by failing to convert the first of 1 and 1). That could translate into an additional 3-4 victories.

DP's shooting will be much improved this year. point blank prediction.

Furthermore, DP and KL look to be the vocal, take charge leaders of this team. Last year it was AD. If you hang around the scrimmages you know what I mean.

I am not sure how that might translate into minutes but I am very bullish on DP and project him scoring a lot more this year. he sure seemed to be consistently the top scorer in summer scrimmages, just about every time i went--along with KL.

If DP shoots 45 to 50% from the field, we have made the NCAA. I think we would bump our ppg by 10 pts if Dwayne finds his HS shot, and we suddenly have three perimeter options, a beast at center, and an active PF with size.

I also agree with David re the 4 being our critical point of improvement. Either way, someone has to improve to lessen the doubleteam rolls that Ian saw far too often last year.

This is quite interesting. I do think a good shooting (50% from the field 32% from 3) DP is a key to this team. If he shoots well then we have two tenacious defenders on opponents gaurds, for more minutes each game (more turnovers more rushed passes etc).

Moreover if DP plays 25-30 minutes(because he shoots well), a number a beneficial things happen. Better to/asst ratio on the floor, less pressure on the 4 (whoever that turns out to be), and less double teaming of KL and TL. If he forces his defender to cover him, it opens up the key for whoever is posting up, IV, TL, HD etc....Less pressure on DM to be THE shooter

The flipside, a dominant PF who rebounds like Rodman, helps by rebounding, giving more second chances and limiting the opposing teams chances. But likely would not open up the offense end as much. Certainly would give us second chances on the offensive end

It is moot since neither occurs in a vacuum, but interesting. Infact one of the more interesting threads in months!

We are saying if DP shoots 45-50 and mid 30's from the 3. We would be a much better team ... but we would be even better if DB shot the same and are 3 guards were TL, KL, and DB. If we can assume or hope that DP jumps to those numbers, why can't we do the same for DB. It's a much smaller jump.

If they were both playing that well ... I'd start DB over DP. Unless a particular defensive matchup made DP the obvious choice.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

You think DB has more to improve than DP? They both need to improve their shooting ... but DB has so much less to improve. I think you are off base on DB's defense ... I agree about the turnovers, but I think that comes with confidence and maturity. Reacting on the court instead of thinking. Imo ... the biggest thing though is DB's size. With DB on the floor we put out a pretty big team

We also don't want to forget Luke. I think Luke without alot of improvement is capable of scoring 7-9 ppg. If he can shoot the ball better he could be in double digits if he gets the minutes. Plus he brings alot of intangibles to the table.

For some reason, a person gets labeled with - "bringing intangibles" and that gives him a free pass. You can bring all the intangibles you want to the table but if you can not score, your intangibles are not very valuable in the overall scheme. For some reason, DP never gets any credit for "intangibles" - he has them. He can beat the press all by himself which this team has needed the past two years, he can stop a fast guard from blowing past everybody, and he can hold on to the ball. What he has not done is score. Whoever scores gets to play - period and I am sorry, neither DB, DP or LM have shown me anything remotely consistently like that up to now so nobody gets a free pass.

Did I say anything about you in my post Skip? If I was specifically refering to you I would have used your name - that is the fair thing to do. Since I did not use your name, I was not addressing you specifically. You are not the only one who has written on this board about the "intangibles" of Luke.