OT: Hoop Dreams

kshoe

I've seen the movie a million times. William Gates went to St. Joes and barely got a qualifying score on the ACT after 5 tries. What kind of quality education was he getting out there. I thought private schools education was supposed to be better than public. At least that's what I hear on here.

If you have seen the movie a million times then you should recall the scenes of Gates blowing off his studies. I don't see how anybody involved with the administration or alumni of St. Joes could feel very good about the school after the movie. The school and the coach both come off terribly. They come off as just using two young kids from bad situations. Say what you want to about college coaches, but at least they are dealing with 18 yo for the most part. These two kids were being used from the begining of the movie, when they were in eigth grade.

Job skill set requirements are fairly uniform and standard. Succeeding in life requires a certain level of skills, hard work, luck, perseverance, and a good plan.

Gates and Agee were both blessed, and cursed, with a high level of basketball skills. Their skills got them recruited to St. Joes, but it also ensured their scholastic way through high school was one with few challenges. I had the chance to talk with Gates, and he said his wife and his knee injury made him quickly realize he needed to succeed in school to become a success in life. He is making it through hard work. Agee obviously still believes that hard work is not required to make it in life.

While there are definite cultural influences in SAT/ACT testing, a non-qualifying score also indicates that after four years of full time scholastic work, you are in the bottom ten percent of test taking students in the country. At least at St. Joes back in the day, that is a bad indictment of their bball and school programs.

It seems as though a large portion of board posters (myself included) and approximately 100% of selective colleges in the country disagree. You and I answered the same questions, and I even believe that it might have been in the same year. Therefore, one would think that I could compare my high school education to yours based on the way each of us answered the same question. The theory seems to make logical sense. Cars are compared based on quarter mile times, even though every make of car is different. Computers are compared according to processor speed, even though they have different types of processors. Interviewees are compared based on relevant job histories, GPA's and the college that they graduated from, even though they're different.

I do, however, agree that going to a private school guarantees nothing. The faculty and resources of a school are bigger variables in the development of a student.

I agree completely. While SAT and ACT scores certainly do not measure a student's entire scope of abilities or potential, to say that they mean nothing is simply untrue. Any school, public or private, that routinely pampers student-athletes who underachieve on standard testing are selling them an illusion. It does matter and denying that it does is a disservice to those kids.

I think a big factor being left out of all this are the ACT/SAT prep courses that are routinely provided at some schools and not at others. The ACT/SAT isn't a measure of your high school education -- it's a measure of one's preparation for the ACT/SAT test. Being able to express oneself through art or mathematics or music or debate is a lot more representative of one's education than whether one excels at the process of elimination employed on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and the ACT/SAT.

Very well said. At the end of the day, we all live in the same world. We all compete in the same world. All the wishing that it was different is irrelevant because it is not.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

He actually turned out to be pretty smart. He ended up graduating from Marquette with a gpa above 3.0. Took the LSAT and got acceptted to law school. He now runs a youth ministry at Cabrini Green.

Roy, I think you are a good poster. But, it is a little scary how you are willing to call so many inner-city kids dumb. You seem to do this with no clue to the actual facts.

i didnt call him dumb. my comments were made to point out that just going to a good school doesnt equate to great grades and test scores.