Visit

BLIKNS

Went to www.saintlouis.scout.com and found out 6-1 pg Zac Swansey will visit SLU on Sept. 29th,says he`s been offered..Other vist is to Ole Miss and other offers are Umass and Tennessee Tech.Listed as 2 star.

I fyou go to rivalshoops.com then click on prospects,type him in,they list him as a 3 star.They have 5 pictures of him.From what I read he plays for the Atlanta Celtics AAU club(think they pretty big time).Ranked 16th in Georgia.

I apologize for posting a white guard. I didn't mean for it to come off that way. It just seems that SLU's roster consists of more white guys than any other Division 1 program. Not that white guys can't compete at this level but, it seems that Brad and his staff are more comfortable recruiting and signing white players.

Brad's background in recruiting at Wisconsin he has consistently recruited white players. I think that he doesn't communicate well or has a staff that can communicate well with the african american community.

I'm just bothered by the fact that we always seem to get the "other" guy or the "fall back" because the staff seems to not want to battle for the tougher harder to get recruit. SIU for example has already signed their class for next year and we only seem to get mentioned as a possibility for recruits. I'm tired of watching mediocre teams at SLU and just want more out of SLU.

A few years ago if a recruit from this area was down to SIU or SLU, SLU would win hands down. Now in the it's not that way,i.e.(Matt Shaw and Jamal Tatum.)

Omni-nut,

your second paragraph is about as dumb a post as I have read in a while.

btw, the advantage to SIU-C of having everyone committed by September 1st means that according to new NCAA rule number 23.50-C-IIa that SIU-C gets to add a 14th scholarship for the Spring 2007 signing period. That's just smart on their part.

I'm sure that Brad sits down with his two black assistant coaches and says, "now listen hear I want you two to go out and recruit as many white guys as you can."

Last time I checked Wisconsin's population was overwhelmingly white. Maybe that is why they had some white guys on the roster.

I must correct you on the jamal tatum recruiting. He wanted to come to slu. lorenzo offered and appeared ready, but LO left for washington. brad still had the offer out there, then inexplicably, he took the offer off the table and gave the scholly to brandon morris, the juco guard who never made it to slu because of academics. that one isn't talked about as much because the ahearn situation went on at the same time. they happened to play for the same eagles team that summer. i'm still a little miffed by that one.

bad boyz for life

How do you learn from that ... you see what you see. You can't give a scholarship to someone you don't think is good enough or fits what you are trying to do ... because someone else thinks he is good.

I'm sure UB isn't the only coach who ends up wrong on a few recruits ... in fact I'm sure that every coach in the country does. I'm sure Coach K takes guys who don't turn out as good as he thought they would and guys he passes up turn out better.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

cheeseman, the lesson brad needed to learn was dont offer juco's that are borderline academic qualifiers. he has been burned twice (that we know of) on that. had he not offered morris then he likely stays with tatum.

for the record, i dont have a problem with his choosing morris over tatum for basketball reasons.

tatum was a high school player, morris had two years of experience under his belt and a proven floor leader. he wanted a player able to step in immediately capable of taking over the point guard spot with authority. he wasnt looking for someone three years down the road. imo, that was sound thinking from evaluating talent. the unsoundness in his reasoning was the off court academic issues imo.

Tatum is a good player but a proven headcase. He would have lasted at SLU about as long as Randy Pulley did. I think recruiting him says more about what type of mistakes Romar was making in regards to offering players than Brad was. Romar had offers on the table to Ahearn, Kern and Tatum. I cannot imagine what those three would be like on a team together. All of em have their heads in the wrong place and would not have fit with Brad.

Now some of the Kool-Aid faithful are suggesting Tatum is a head case. Some of you guy's are hilarious. There is nothing wrong with Tatum other than the fact BS passed on him as well. I guess rather than blame the guy who retracted the offer let's just attack the kid's mental make-up.

Pass some of the blue kool-aid please.

Pass me some of that Blue Kool-Aid.

Tatum has been arrested twice as a Saluki. Once while breaking an interior window in a police station while being questioned and just this march for DWI. I can't remember the last time a player from SLU was arrested, save for Pee Wee and Boushka, and those were decades after their playing careers were over. I don't know what you call a headcase but I say being arrested twice in less than two years certainly qualifies. He had a reputation as a headcase in high school and that reputation has been bourne out in his college career. Certainly he is a nice talent but the SLU coaches were smart to not take a flyer on him.

Soderberg did recruit Ahearn and I believe an offer was extended to him, but Soderberg was an asst to Romar at the time and was acting at his behest. Contact was called off after Romar left the program and Soderberg took over.

>I agree. The gamble may have been worth it because Morris

>was a stud tough guard but in hindsight the fact that he did

>not qualify hurt us. Let's hope we can avoid such problems

>in the future.

Stud guard? He was decent for rebuilding UW-Green Bay before flunking out of there. Morris was another bad decision and nothing more. Same with Antwan Alexander (who did nothing at NMSU). He made a mistake, what's wrong with admitting that? Coaches make recruiting mistakes - even Coach K.

not your typical white guard by no means. i coached him in aau his freshman season and against him this summer.great athelete a little under the radar because of playing baseball in the past only plays basketball now. he had ankle injury late this summer missed last part of nationals.telep from scout says he is the sleeper and has great up side as any unsigned 07 guards . great scorer and ball handler. a little surprised he is not going bigger but who knows kids motives