Tommie Liddell to Committ to SLU

Jalensdad2002

nate, dont worry about slu athletic academics. overall, slu has won the conference usa academic excellence award for their athletic department every year of the conference's existence. and last year, slu basketball had the highest gpa of any basketball team in conference usa.

i doubt if you will find many slu boosters that care to ever p!ss money away on a football team.

oh, i don't really advocate building a full blown division one football program...but who doesn't watch a little pigskin on saturday morning and wish (even a little) that the Bills were playing?

Maybe the Rugby club can schedule a game against K-State next fall...those guys will play anyone

just knowing the expense involved with having football makes me cringe. plus start a football team, remember title IX wants you to give a woman's athletic scholarship for every man athletic scholarship. so now the cost doubles.

i would bet that not even 50 colleges turn a profit on football in all of college basketball when you factor in added scholarships, added coaches, playing surfaces, travel, and insurance. so no, i dont pine for football on saturday. a couple of high school football games a fall more than satisfies my thirst for amateur football. in fact, yesterday afternoon i was in the sun watching my son's fall high school baseball team and i never thought about football once.

a 30 on the first try?!?!? wow!! that's probably some kind of record for big-time division one athletics. and for a kid who has never even lived in the u.s. - even more impressive. i know doctors and lawyers who didn't score that high on the act. that indicates to me that we won't have to worry about ian going back home in a few years to play pro ball. he obviously is very serious about his education. and varner getting straight 4.0s is equally impressive. not many students pull that off at all - think about doing so while playing basketball sometimes 30 hours a week or more - all while preparing for a wedding (which we all know is a pain in the ass). way to go fellas. hopefully that will rub off on some of those who are struggling.

i believe varner also isnt plowing along in a "gimee major". if i remember correctly he has a double major in russian and international business! that makes my head hurt just thinking about that kind of coursework!