Husak and redshirting

ACE

First I'd like to welcome Byrce's father to the board and say we are happy to have Bryce with the Billikens.

There has been some talk of Bryce redshirting this season and that's not a knock on his ability, it just often takes big guys longer to develop and redshirt years can be beneficial.

I was just wondering if it might not be better to have Bryce play this season, since the Greek will miss some games early and we might need the depth. Then his somphomore season have him redshirt since we should have some good depth and experience on the frontline, considering guys like Frericks, Johnson, IO, will all be one year more experienced, the Greek will be available for a full season, and presumably another front court player like Shaw will be added, so Bryce's minutes won't be needed as much as they will the following year. That way, Bryce can come back for his sophomore season after Frericks and IO have graduated. Just a thought.

arizona had a senior that redshirted before his senior season. i think his name was eggerson? rusty lisch redshirted his senior season at notre dame. those are the two that come to mind.

eggerson wanted to get his elementary education degree and olsen i believe wanted eggerson to play the following season when he was losing a couple of players. lisch didnt want to sit another season behind montana thus redshirted and got to start the following season. plus, it allowed rusty to gain his architecture degree. no injuries were involved. both cases it enabled the coach to work the roster to the teams benefit.

Louisville is currently redshirting a senior, Ellis Myles, who is coming off an injury but would be physically capable of playing.

A few years, ago Tubby Smith redshirted junior Jeff Sheppard because Kentucky was loaded with talent and they believed Jeff would benefit from a year of practice and strength training.

maybe the reason that both eggerson and lisch stick in my mind is the extra season enabled both to accomplish academic goals as well. it wasnt soley for sports reasons. i like that.

i am sure there are others as well. bryce's situation sure would make sense to me. the more time he and ian have to grow into their bodies the more they will be able to produce down the road when hopefully the billikens are beginning to reach the next level. i wonder if ian sits the entire season as a redshirt, is he still subject to the 10 game penalty the next season? if not, maybe that might make sense. let ian sit this season and bryce next. that would be too convienent though. my guess is he has to serve that penalty at some time before he can play.

As expected, different coaches have different thoughts on redshirting players. 50% of Gonzaga's current scholarship roster had a redshirt year. I read somewhere that Gonzaga tries to redshirt at least 2 or 3 freshmen every year. This process started with their last coach (Dan Monson) and is considered to be a big part of their successful program. I heard Brad state once that he likes the idea of playing with a juniors, seniors and fifth-year seniors because of their strength and experience. Brad also stated that the player had to be willing to redshirt, it was not forced on anyone.