To all Missouri Valley losers

We dont want to be in your conference. I dont think anyone is saying that we would dominate your conference if we joined. Quite frankly the backlash from the SLU donors and fans for joining such a mediocre conference would be atomic. We wouldnt survive it.

What it may seem hard for you to understand is that SLU is a nationally respected university. They actually compete for top students. The university has made the commitment to compete in a upper tier athletic conference as part of this equation. In the current academic rankings, SLU ranks 78th nationally.

The Missouri Valley conference contains zero schools with any national importance. Illinois State is listed as a Tier 3 and Indiana State, SIU and Wichita are all Tier 4 schools. Not very impressive. My guess is they dont have a tier low enough to rank SMS's academic reputation.

In contrast, The Atlantic 10, the conference we will be joining, contains several national universities, including example Dayton (#108), UMASS (#91) Fordham (#84) and GW (#51).

Yes, I think it has been important to SLU that they are competing with similar universities. I would include DePaul, Marquette, Tulane similar schools to SLU. We were thrown in with several of the CUSA schools due to ridiculous expansion. If we would have had a choice, we would not have wanted TCU, ECU, etc.

Did SMS change their nickname to Redbirds?

Be honest, there is not a school in the Missouri Valley that would turn down an invite from the current CUSA or A10. Take your smack talk to the Horizon or the Mid-Con board.

hey redbird, if your school hadnt tanked since stallings left, maybe the mvc wouldnt be in the mess it is now. dont go druding up long ago history to try to make illinois state look impressive now when the fact is that the redbirds have not finished above a 94 rpi since 1999. during that same time span, st louis hasnt finished below a 94 rpi. it isnt even close.

First off SLU is working on the total package academics and quality sports. I agree with that but I don't agree with the use of US News rankings as proof. The US News rankings are ridiculous and it is my opinion that SLU should be ranked better. The redbird fan has a point that CUSA has some terrible academic institutions in it but it also has some very good ones in it as well. Tulane is one of the best schools in the country, TCU, Marquette, DePaul, are also good. The MVC has Creighton and the state schools are OK. I have to agree with you on SMS that is a bad school. I got info. from them when I was making my college choice and the majority of the mailings centered around the great dormitories not much mention of academics (we all have our priorities).

All in all SLU isn't going to the MVC and I don't want to go there either. Hey Redbird thanks for Coach Beane that guy is great.

One of the things Brad Soderberg gave consideration to in choosing his assistant coaches was how hungry the candidates would be as a result of moving up in the level of the program. I guess Illinois St. fans (and MVC fans) have had their feelings hurt in that Anthony Beane used their program as a stepping stone to SLU (not Illinois or Purdue, but SLU -- bwa ha ha ha!)

There's no way Brad, Anthony, Angres, and Jason want to be back at the level of the Valley.

Sorry to inform y'all, but you are not the Harvard of the Midwest. You can rip on my school (Southern Illinois) all you want, but in the real world it's based on your own performance, and how well you can do the job. Going to a school like SLU doesn't necessarily make you smarter (I'm sure I could have been accepted), and going to a school such as SIU doesn't make you dumb. That's academics, but let's talk about sports.

As a sports fan, I'm glad my diploma reads Southern Illinois University. I cheered for my team to see them take out Texas Tech and Georgia to make the Sweet 16 two years ago. I watched in disbelief at our loss to Missouri last year (recall the terrible blocking call). During the fall/winter, I tailgated football games. These are things that SLU fans cannot say or dispute.

If you want to talk academics, maybe you should create another messageboard. As far as this sports fan is concerned, let's talk about sports.

You may not realize this but I have watched SLU get a bad call in a game against SPUMAC and in the Fall I did tailgate at a football game.

So there are two things that I can say and I am disputing.

Here are a few things you can't say nor dispute:

My Basketball team plays in a top 10 conference (rpi).

My Basketball team will be playing in a brand new 13,000 seat 70-80 million dollar Arena.

My team won't be playing in the MVC next year.

My team won the SIU v. SLU game 71-60 last year.

So there you go those are actual things that you can't say/dispute because they are reality.

>You may not realize this but I have watched SLU get a bad

>call in a game against SPUMAC and in the Fall I did tailgate

>at a football game.

>So there are two things that I can say and I am disputing.

I know you are smarter than that. The bad call was in reference to the fact that we were in the tourney last year and almost took out your state's number one sports school (as proclaimed by most fans). The tailgating was in reference to SLU not having a football team.

>Here are a few things you can't say nor dispute:

>My Basketball team plays in a top 10 conference (rpi).

>My Basketball team will be playing in a brand new 13,000

>seat 70-80 million dollar Arena.

This is true.

>My team won't be playing in the MVC next year.

Don't speak too soon.

>My team won the SIU v. SLU game 71-60 last year.

My team won the previous year, and went to the tourney both of those years. Did you?

Thank you Bauman ... I am 99.9% sure we are not going to the valley ... so what difference does it make ... they are a couple of non conference games on our schedule that clearly matter more to the MVC school than to us. ( Though we need to start winning these games more regularly ... we found out last year what losing games you should win does for your season )

If somehow we do end up there ... than these discussions will be more relevant.

So please valley posters ... let this subject go away ... it is time to start talking basketball.

I have a very simple, straightforward question for any and all SLU fans. What has your basketball team ever accomplished?

You guys remind me of the butt-ugly girl who hangs with the lookers, thinking that she will be perceived as being pretty too.

Once again, WHAT has SLU ever accomplished?? And please, none of this "well, we are going to be good" BS.

I eagerly await a reply.

I have a very simple, straightforward question for any and all SIUC fans. What has your basketball team ever accomplished?

You guys remind me of the butt-ugly dawg who hangs with other butt-ugly dogs, wishing that they will be perceived as being top dog.

Once again, WHAT has SIUC ever accomplished?? And please, none of this "well, we went to the Sweet 16 once a few years ago" crap.

We eagerly await a reply.

(Talkin' like you Duke, or somethin'!)

>Once again, WHAT has SIUC ever accomplished?? And please,

>none of this "well, we went to the Sweet 16 once a few years

>ago" crap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sweet 16 is a very big deal, especially for a "mid-major" program such as SIU. Another recent accomplishment, we have one of the longest home winning streaks as we have not lost in the SIU Arena for 2 seasons and counting, and within those 2 seasons we have won our conference both times (not tourney, but regular season champs). I'm not trying to post a "we're better than you" post, but I wanted to answer your question and I look forward to y'alls reply.

I think Southern Illinois has done a very good job and is a good program, though it faces a test, as Bruce Weber has moved on. I just objected to the taunting tone of the poster asking (challenging) SLU fans to justify their support of the program. We're fans of the program and don't need to justify our support by spouting certain criteria.

Texas Saluki,

In the past 10 years St. Louis U.

*made four trips to the NCAA Tournament ('94, '95, '98 '00) second round twice. SLU has won the same number of NCAA tournament games as SIU in the same time period.

*Won the C-USA Tournament title in '00

*made two NIT appearances ('96, '03)

*has a winning record against Southern Illinois

*beaten high profile teams such as Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Memphis, Minnesota, Cincinnati (ranked No. 1 at the time), Louisville (ranked No. 2 at the time). over the years

*accomplished those things in a league(s) (Great Midwest/Conference USA) that is considerably tougher than the Missouri Valley Conference.

*set many attendance records at one time.

So to recap, that six postseason berths (4 NCAA, 2 NIT) and several big nonconference victories and one conference tournament title. don't try to act like we haven't done anything over here.

OUtside of SIU and Creighton, i don't think any other valley school can claim that kind of success. and remember, slu is doing that in a top 10 conference and a tough nonconference schedule year in and year out.