Bertucci

Yeah, I know Brian. He's a SLU '05 grad, like myself. Good kid, hard worker. Should be an excellent pick up for the Soderberg administration. Brings a knowledge of accounting (worked for Ernst &Young) as well as basketball to the staff. So if Obi needs a 1040 return, just look at the guy next to you on the bench, right Obi???

I hear they are having a "Sweat Caroline night" every Wednesday. Sloan will sing Sweat Caroline every hour from 9-close. It will get progressively better later on in the night. Say good bye to Pennies on Wednesday night SLU students its now "Sweat Caroline Night" down the road at R Bar. No need for drink specials the one and only Chris Sloan will take care of entertaining the crowd.

Bertucci will be the DoBO - he is not a coach so why are you concerned what kind of a pick up he is for the team? He will be someone who organizes trips and camps and oversees the day to day business side of the BB program. All he has to do is handle a budget and be organized. He does not have to technically know anything about basketball per se.

but most programs hire somebody that wants to move up in the coaching ranks, you don't see UNC hiring their old student manager and plus being a student manager at UNC is a lot harder thatn at SLU. Student managers at UNC plan the travel, packing equip, meals and run the whole camps, with a coach watching over, at SLU they are incharge of handing out towels, water and packing the equipment, they are not incharge of travel or camps.

>but most programs hire somebody that wants to move up in the

>coaching ranks, you don't see UNC hiring their old student

>manager and plus being a student manager at UNC is a lot

>harder thatn at SLU. Student managers at UNC plan the

>travel, packing equip, meals and run the whole camps, with a

>coach watching over, at SLU they are incharge of handing out

>towels, water and packing the equipment, they are not

>incharge of travel or camps.

I think we have established SLU is not in the league of a UNC

actually i believe roy williams started in a similar fashion at north carolina.

Volfan, if you really worked in the athletic department like you claim to, you would know that Brian Bertucci was one of the hardest working individuals in the entire department from his sophomore year to graduation in 2005. He contributed more than you give him credit for, and SLU's current managers do as well. Brian also has aspirations to move up through the coaching ranks, and the fact that he was offered this job is quite an accomplishment for someone who is not a former player.

SLU isn't UNC, but it's not a complete dog and pony show, either.

I would also be surprised if student managers at any school would be the ones actually making the travel arrangements and running the basketball camps. Those are not assignments that should be delegated out to a student and I would view it as extremely busch league to have your student manager basically running the show as you claim UNC and the other top programs do.

So you're trying to tell us that a camp run by managers is a more attractive setup than having actual coaches run it? I know Roy Williams is a living legend, but come on. Coaches make a huge chunk of their salary from camps, and in most cases work their butts off to run the camps their way. I know he doesn't need the money, but he's probably getting it anyway for showing up once for photo ops at the end. Managers do a hell of a lot to help out at camps, but they shouldn't be coaching at them- why do you want SLU to aspire to that?

>So you're trying to tell us that a camp run by managers is a

>more attractive setup than having actual coaches run it? I

>know Roy Williams is a living legend, but come on. Coaches

>make a huge chunk of their salary from camps, and in most

>cases work their butts off to run the camps their way. I

>know he doesn't need the money, but he's probably getting it

>anyway for showing up once for photo ops at the end.

>Managers do a hell of a lot to help out at camps, but they

>shouldn't be coaching at them- why do you want SLU to aspire

>to that?

Oh boy here we go. Pistol is now one of the know it alls that knows nothing. Assistants usually make all the money for summer camps. They use this money to supplememnt the incomes. Head coaches rarely take that money.

Actually Bertucci played with the team in about every practice...he was a good defender...couldn't shoot a lick....

He also has a good enough business mind to work at Ernst and Young, and with his experience in the program his organizational skills have already been tested at SLU...just ask any of the players.

He is better suited for the job than Sloan was when he started...

I said "coaches," not "head coaches." The head coaches have a responsibility for camps as well, and yes, their pay structure includes camps. Programs slap the name of the head coach on the camp, just in case you hadn't noticed.

Now I'm suddenly a "know it all who doesn't know anything?" Why are you so bitter? By the way, it's spelled "Billikens," not "Billikins," which is what you wrote under my rating. How did you even get to this website if you can't spell that?

Pistol, the nerve of you arguing with an ex D1 player and coach. I don't know who the hell you think you are ... but please apologize and don't do it again.

Don't feel bad though, I made the same mistake. So I am going to apologize also.

Dear Billsboy,

I am sorry for questioning your knowledge or your past experience. I think in the furure if we could just have you share your experiences with us daily ...maybe a an ex D1 blog or something, it would aleviate the need for anyone else to waste any time posting. I am truly looking forward to learning from you.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman