Optimism at an all-time high

billikenmetz

After downing a few brews at Humps with ChicagoBilliken and a few other nice Sigma Chi's from the old days (2001,2002) and talking nothing but Billiken Hoops after the impressive roadie over Charlotte, I'm feeling that we've got a legit shot to steal the spotlight on a national level as a program on the up and up. We're definately a perfect fit in the A-10 and we're on track with great league play, great non-conference opponents and the Pavillion/Arena. It's a Great Day to be a Billiken. I've always had high hopes for Saint Louis hoops, and I think that day has arrived. Who's got the same vibe? We've waited a long time to get a stretch of games like this 7 of 8 and we're rolling.

Go Bills!

Beat Flyers!

Surprised it took this long for someone to make a post like this. This has been the best I've felt about them since the Miracle in Memphis. Since that highpoint, we've had to deal with a lot of disappointment. Too lengthy to go into it here, but missed recruits, Zo leaving, the decimation of the team after he departed, last year's debacle. You had to pinch yourself on Sunday morning. Beating Charlotte at Halton, the arena announcement, 7 of 8, TL and KL dominating the rookie of the week awards, 2nd in the A-10 when picked to finish in the bottom 4. Wow...no matter how it ends up we've got a lot to look forward to especially if UB lands some decent recruits in the spring. I've been trying to fight it off but I've got this funny feeling our season is going to end with a big surprise in the A-10 tourney. The stars seem to be lining up in our favor, GW losing Pops puts them in some jepoardy and since they don't have to win to get in they might not be as hungry if they make the championship game. Charlotte and Temple still scare me, but hey beat 'em once beat 'em twice. And if we hold onto 2nd one of them has to face GW to get to us, assuming we don't stumble, which could be a sapping game. As Taj says, the crow is delicious no matter what you put on it.

I'm totally optimistic, but at the same time, it's crucial that we have a good season next year and land a solid recruiting class. We need sustained success both in recruiting and on the court so that we don't experience another post NCAA flame-out like we had after Claggett/Highmark/H graduated.

I agree with you guys—this is a fun team to watch, especially knowing that this is just the beginning—but does anyone else get that sinking feeling that we are in for a letdown? All this talk of running the table and winning the conference tourney, it seems too good to be true. The team has proven that they are certainly capable of such a run, but I have been conditioned by the past decade of Billiken basketball to expect a maddening loss whenever it seems like we on the verge of a breakthrough. Is this team really good enough to avoid such a letdown? I guess we’ll find out in the next couple of weeks. Regardless, it’s a great time to be a Billikens fan!