GW board says slu bubble team if

GOSLU68

we beat Lasalle and Dayton; no duh?

surprisingly they say their RPI dropped from 31 to 29 but later they say they lose their only top 50 win this weekend; their board

is open to read unlike some others where you have to register.

>Agreed...if someone besides GW or us wins the Conf. tourny,

>we're sunk...GW is in regardless and I don't see the A10

>getting more than two bids.

Right now there are two A10 teams ahead of us in RPI based on Ken Pomroy's numbers: Temple (61) or St. Josephs (51) (we're at 78).

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. For us to have a shot at an NCAA bid without winning the A10 tourney, the concensus is we need to win out and lose in the A10 tourney finals. The only scenario I can think of for the A10 to get 3 bids would be if won out and lost in the finals to St. Josephs. St. Josephs is in. GW is in. Our RPI does not take too much of a hit losing on a neutral court to St. J. putting us on the bubble. Our awesome record in the last 10 games impresses the committee and we get in.

that is why jjray said it only happens if st joes wins the tourney.

imo, the league is a two bid conf only if someone wins the tourney other than gw. no one has a chance for at large but gw. you guys are dreaming. remember, there are 15 conferences that get tourney bids that are no where near even a 100 rpi. then give the top 40 rpi at larges. that is 55 bids right there. so there are only 10 really "bubble bids" that will be handed out assuming no tourney upsets in the top 17 conferences. do you really think of the remaining 17 conferences there will be no one come through that is not supposed to? i dont. i would be willing to guess maybe as many as 7 or 8. that would leave about 2 more teams i.e. even top 50 may not be good enough. we wont get to a 50 rpi without winning the tourney and these last two conference games.

I have to agree with you Roy, if we win out but lose in the finals of the conference tourney, we'll get bubble talk but probably no cigar ... bad profile against top 50 teams. Nonetheless, I for one am thrilled to at least be talking about the Billikens on the bubble this late in the year. Next year though expectations will be higher.

How much weight does the selection committee give to final RPI relative to overall record, record in the last ten games, etc.? If we finish with a top 65 record and win 8 or 9 of our last 10 games, how much consideration will the committee give us?

Who knows? Sometimes, in some cases, it seems to count for quite a bit. It probably depends on whether the committee wants a second team from the A10, imo. Building a case for them certainly doesn't hurt. There's some ESPN talk recently about the MOVal being overrated, but I don't know how much effect that has either.

Based on past selections and comments from the committee ....winning 20 games for example...does't mean anything. Who you beat and where. How you do later in season helps some, but who is it against? Charlotte for example is a nice road win for SLU, but they are not an NCAA caliber team. Let's not overestimate the quality of the win or wins.

SLU has ZERO chance of getting in unless winning conf tourney, epriod. Not to be e downer...but this talked about but no cigar stuff etc...not going to happen. I would have to agree with Lunardi's comments posted on another thread this weekend when posed with this question. He said SLU is closer to NIT bubble than NCAA bubble. There will not be a big discussion about SLU if they make conf tourney finals and lose.

If GW does not win conf tourney, then 2 will make it. If GW wins conf tourney, one team will make it.

With Courtside...Billkens ONLY chance of playing in this year's Big Dance is if they win A10 Tourney. Anyone thinking differently is in for huge letdown on selection Sunday. We needed a win against the Zags or Iowa and came up empty...if we win one of those games early then with our last season streak we are looking much better. I heard Ken Pomeroy on ESPN and he talked about several bubble teams...he did not mention any team from the A10.

At 16-10, winning our last two and then two more will get us to the "magical" 20 win plateau. 20-11 teams get talked about as far as getting into the tournament, particularly if they are second in their conference and only one other team from that conference is in. Everyone that is arguing we won't be in the conversation if we win 4 more is kidding themselves. No one is saying we would definitely get in with that scenario, but we will certainly be in the conversation.

If we win out and lose in the tourney final ... we will be 20-11. We will get brought up and probably a little consideration ... but no cigar. Obviously your statement that you have a better chance of winning the lotery is a bit of an overstatement.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Here is the Bubble Watch write up for Charlotte on ESPN.com by Andy Glockner. I'm not sure of his track record. The write up is a bit outdated now. I think you could just substitute SLU for Charlotte in it now.

"Charlotte [17-10 (10-4), RPI: 107, SOS: 151] One-point escape at UMass means the 49ers likely will have won eight of nine entering the game at GW -- what could be a must win. RPI and nonconf SOS are still very weak, but the 49ers still could finish second in what should be a multibid league. Strange case."

That being said, I think we have to win it all. We'll get a mention if we get to the finals but that equals nothing but NIT Not-in-Tourney.

this is one RARE time I will talk about my former employment with channel 5...I still talk to these guys frequently, and the contacts they have is incredible....and they all say the same thing...SLU HAS to win the conference tourny to get in (period). If GW wins the tourny, they are alone...anybody other than GW, it's a 2 bid....in some inconceivable fashion, if GW wins, and all other major and mid-major conference tournaments are won by FAVORITES (teams already going to the dance), then we are Bubble...but only a mention. Believe me, I want to be there; but because of the overall conference RPI, we CANNOT compete. The way I see it, we have beaten X twice (When they were 2nd in conference), Charlotte, and ALMOST beat #1 GW. With the loss of Bonsu - the ONLY THING WE SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT RIGHT NOW is winning that tourny. We all thought of it as unrealistic throughout the season, but it is now possible. If we draw X second round or UMASS or whoever, we can make a run. I am betting GW won't even be in the finals because of their guaranteed spot - they want to stay healthy. We need to think about winning that tourny, and guess what - besides the obvious nationwide pick of GW, we're the team to beat that week. Let's just hope Brad and co. can keep playing these hardnosed games.

By the way, does anybody else think we should be playing more fast-break or higher tempo offense? I mean our scoring average is up 12 points per game over the last 6 games. Fast breaks for us aren't resulting in a lot of buckets; but as we've seen in the last two games, they are resulting in a lot of odd-man breaks which means the opposition is fouling us to stop the easy lay-in....well Lisch, Meyer, and who would have thought Voyoukas are hitting free-throws and are going to continue doing such. We can win games by actually trying to convert on these situations. Any thoughts?

phillikens, i hope your "contacts" are not renee and the chick. they are the worse and i wouldnt take their word about anything.

on the other hand, of course if frank told you, believe it.

Frank really doesn't have any clue who the selection committee will consider. Rene doesn't have any clue there is a selection committee.

If we are 20 - 11 and lose in the conference finals having won 11 of our last 13 with road wins over LaSalle, Charlotte and X and home wins against Temple and X we will get a look. Will we make it who knows. But the committee will also see us as an up and coming team with our top 3 players returning, 2 of them potential future stars and the other a potential NBA pick next year ... We also have a win against SIUC and very close losses to UNC, GW and Gonz.

Our RPI should be at least in the 60's ... teams have made it with worse resume's. I do of course agree that the more upsets in smaller conference tourney's the lesser chance we have. Either way let's just win out and get it over with

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Teams have made it with worse resumes - is correct but that is if you are from the Big 10 or SEC or ACC. Can you believe that the so called experts are actually talking about how IU is in with their win over Michigan State - amazing - IU is 15-10 and 7-7 in conf. We are 16-10 and 10-4 in conf. and we haven't got a chance at an at large bid. I agree that we won't get one but nobody can tell me that IU is deserving at this time.

You are correct and someone yesterday gave a couple examples of teams getting in with RPI's in the 60's last year...the only flaw with their example was they were both from BCS conferences...Big 12 and PAC 10. Anyone thinking that might happen with this year's version of the lowly A10 may need to check themselves. This is a one team league unless someone other than GW wins the A10 Tourney. I sure hope that happens and of course it would be wonderful if it is our Billikens. The way we are playing right now it looks doable too.