This game says it all!!!!!!!

Billikan

This is the best road win in years and it was a real team effort.

It is incedible how much better Tommie and Kevin are playing than they did earlier int he year and they were playing good then! They have a real chance to be a fantastic tandem for years to come. They are really good together and they compliment each other. I thought by the end of the year they would not be playing so much like freshmen but I had no idea they would play this well--behind on the road against a top team in conference and we were solid as a rock!

Now for all of the naysayers who were unrelenting in the negative posts in the early part of the year--asking if we should give Brad one more year--second guessing his every move. For those of you, and there were many--too many for my taste-- just look at this team and see the improvement. The coaching job that Brad did tonight was nothing short of magnificent. he tried combinations, made subsititutions, made adjustments set up plays and outcoached Lutz, who is supposed to be such a great coach. His decision to go with the twin towers in the second half was masterful. I love the fact that Bryce was playing tough and clearing out the lane!

My son played college ball and the other night he said to me--"Dad, you know we have a great coach". I have thought that for a long time and he proved it again tonight. I sure hope the morons who were on his case earlier will shut up!

That was the most fun I had watching a Billiken game since the Larry Hughes year and this team has a lot more future potential than that on becuse we only had Larry for one year. I am on a true high!!!!

GO BILLIKENS

Brad is an excellent coach and coached a wonderful game tonight. However, much of the focus of the criticism a few weeks ago was centered around the merry-go-round starting lineup and rotation. It isn't just a coincidence that this team's consistent success began when the starting five and rotation was made consistent.

I am sorry but you and others were not saying that Brad is an excellent coach. The issue was partly the rotation because Luke was hurt and the coach kept trying to use JJ and Danny who make constant mistakes. The reason why we are better now is because our freshmen have matured and played great. Ian has played fantastic--he forces everyone to double team him to stop him. Brad is the same coach he was then but the players are executing the game plan beautifully.

I will say this, I think Brad's decision to stay more calm on the bench vis a vis the refs has helped him and I give him huge credit. it is hard for someone who is as intense as he is to stay calm under fire!!

Agreed, I had forgotten about Luke's injury, and that's why he was trying to do a patchwork job with the lineup until he was back. He made a statement on BM's show one morning that he realized he wasn't doing the team a favor going ballistic, and you're right, it has paid off if for no other reason I think his last game decisions are more sound.

"I will say this, I think Brad's decision to stay more calm on the bench vis a vis the refs has helped him and I give him huge credit. it is hard for someone who is as intense as he is to stay calm under fire!!"

I completely agree. I think that has been a huge difference. Lutz's technical tonight was nearly a deciding factor in the outcome.

I like Brad but the WLWLWLWLWL earlier in the season was frustrating. Losing the close games to the big teams that we wanted to beat so bad is frustrating. I understand that starting Freshman will lead to inconsistency and now that they have some experience they are all playing together much better. That is why he got criticized earlier in the year as the head coach he was responsible for being in the position to have to rely on freshman and is overall responsible for the performance of the team which we all knew and hoped would be better.

I don't think we can call him an excellent coach until we have some success in the tournament. This game is about getting to the tournament and performing in the tournament. Two things Brad has not been able to do yet at SLU. I believe that he will do it but the "excellent" tag will have to wait until then for me.

We have some advantages over similar schools that have had success either currently or in the past. Georgetown, Temple, Marquette, St. Joes, BC etc. Those are a metro schools, with some money to spend, and have been succesful. We have an advantage as being the only DI school in town. The new arena, promising Freshman and a dedicated coach are the building blocks for a successful program.

Couldn't agree more. There were a lot of frustrations early, but think about it.

1) KL & TL were freshman and no matter how good they were and how high the expectations were, there was going to be an adjustment period. They had to play games -- they had to experience things -- see what they could and couldn't do against D1 competition. For whatever reason, they could only come close in the NC & Gonzaga games. And they were going to lay some eggs (see St. Joes). But they are smart players and they are talented players -- great combination

2) DP started most of last year -- it was his job to lose. You don't make that call after 5 games, 10 games. You learn more about your team during this time, and you come to realize that having TL & DP on the floor at the same time is not good for your offense. So you make the change.

3) LM was injured. He wasn't physically able to do things the way he was capable. As much as you might think he should be in there, he wasn't physically able to perform. He's not a dominating player, but he is very smart, plays hard and does a lot of things right. But it took SLU 15-18 games to get him ready to play.

4) Without LM, we've had to play JJ, VN & DB -- all decent players, but they don't have the whole package. Each have their shortcomings.

UB did everything he could to win games in the first 18-20 games until some things could become clear and players could become healthy and changes could be made. Frustrations come because he didn't do things the way you would have done them. No crime in that. But I would rather have him calling the shots because he is doing it the right way. The players who are getting reduced playing time are doing so because their performance dictated it.

If he things Stemler and Walls are good additions, I'm all for it

In UB I trust

Go Bills

I agree some what. Frustrations was everywhere not long ago. KL & TL are still freshman and will be up and down. But the key is they know they are starters and can play through their mistakes. Coach is sticking with LM no matter what happens on the floor. That was not always the case with DP,DB,JJ. It is unfair to say those three have many shortcomings and that's why we were unsuccessful early on with either. It could easily have been one of those three and not LM and we still would have been playing at the level we are now if Brad would have stuck with them the way he has stuck with Luke. LM is good player but even he doesn't have the whole package and has his own shortcomings.

UB has been great of late. A10 Coach of the year in my opinion. The players who are getting reduced playing time are doing so because the starters are getting the job done and we are on a roll now. It's not broken so don't mess with it. I like the starting five but DP,DB,VN, JJ,BH all have made contributions to the success of the team this season......

At times this year, each of the bench players has made contributions. But I think you can trace the team's turnaround, first and foremost, to the steady presence of Luke. He is out of position and all that, but he's added something to the mix that was missing - good basketball smarts and unflappability (if that's a word).

Since that time, KL has raised his game, overcoming freshman jitters. TL is becoming a confident floor leader. A nice core of these three with Ian sets the stage for a solid 06-07. Let's hope Stempler AND Walls see the light that if they want to play some big time basketball, they couldn't pick a better opportunity (and don't forget the potential of Obi).

i'm all for the physical dimensions of walls, but it pained me to see the references to the mental and intensity part of his game. we dont need jj II. so i hope that is being evaluted closely.