590 Show

Big Al 1

>

>In a perfect world (realistically), this spring we would

>land one big to redshirt, have Maguire redshirt, get a

>juco/prep school 4 to start, and a freshman point guard who

>can shoot and back up DP.

Next year, DP is already probably the backup pg.

>

>>

>>In a perfect world (realistically), this spring we would

>>land one big to redshirt, have Maguire redshirt, get a

>>juco/prep school 4 to start, and a freshman point guard who

>>can shoot and back up DP.

>

>

>Next year, DP is already probably the backup pg.

That's fine by me, but I still prefer Tommie at the 3. Tommie is a good rebounder, plus I don't like having a point guard who can't shoot 3s. We lose AD, so I would like to see us get another combo guard, who can shoot and play some point. Another AD type or a player like Carl Turner was years ago.

Roy name one successful program that holds onto three scholarships like we do?

Ace, I think the jury is still out on Brad's ability to build a program. I just try to watch what other successful programs do and I can't think of one that holds three scholarships.

Also do you really think Brad is going to redshirt McQ? I definitely think he should but SLU is so starved for outside shooting I don't know how he can. But this proves my point in a way because a Red Shirt on McQ would be perfect. Let him settle into the program and the speed of D1 ball and then bring him in ready to go when Polk graduates.

>

>Also do you really think Brad is going to redshirt McQ? I

>definitely think he should but SLU is so starved for outside

>shooting I don't know how he can. But this proves my point

>in a way because a Red Shirt on McQ would be perfect. Let

>him settle into the program and the speed of D1 ball and

>then bring him in ready to go when Polk graduates.

If you get Stemler, you probably can afford to redshirt DM, because from it sounds like he is one helluva shooter.

Soderberg held two scholarships this past season, not three. Obi redshirted. I have been on record as saying I was disappointed in last spring signing period and that we held back two scholarships. I thought bringing in Obi was good, but we should have been able to land another big last spring who could compete for playing time at the 4. Or worst case scenario, we would have been able to sign another redshirt player, that way, we would have a freshman next season who has already spent a year in the program.

>

>>

>>Also do you really think Brad is going to redshirt McQ? I

>>definitely think he should but SLU is so starved for outside

>>shooting I don't know how he can. But this proves my point

>>in a way because a Red Shirt on McQ would be perfect. Let

>>him settle into the program and the speed of D1 ball and

>>then bring him in ready to go when Polk graduates.

>

>If you get Stemler, you probably can afford to redshirt DM,

>because from it sounds like he is one helluva shooter.

That's what I would like to see happen. Then I would like to see a rebounding 4 who can play right away and with the final scholarship one of the following: a combo freshman guard, another big to redshirt or an impact transfer. I agree with Hardball's sentiment that it is time to put all the scholarships to use. Let's build on some of the momentum the program has going. The future is now.

current scholarships:

1. polk

2. lisch

2. liddell

4. obi

5. meyer

6. brown

7. husak

8. ian

9. newborne

10. drejaj

11. johnson

that is only 2 scholarships not in use not 3.

we will lose 2 of the above and he maguire signed and has said he will sign 2 more. so next year he will only be holding one.

i just see no point of bringing in players just to bring in bodies that cannot contribute. now if you b!tch is why cant he bring in bodies that can contribute, i wont question that. but i never want to bring in bodies for bodies sakes.

plus, the fact he has every year limited the rotation to 8 players once the conference season starts makes those last couple of spots tough spots to man. of course the redshirt thing would make sense in that case. and i would definitly be a backer of that for developing emerging inside players or for players recovering from injuries that really take more than a year such as obi.

holding more than one scholarship must be a budget problem

but if they give scholarships for student managers that can't be

right. I do recall last year they were trying to get extra walk-ons for practise. Redshirts and walk-ons at big state schools are willing

to say they were on the team with so and so or because they are

gym rats or played for a big name coach. Our problem is getting a young successful coach who won't leave us if there is an opening at his Alma Mater or home state, It is good for us if Brad builds it slowly but holding schorships means we have ineffectve recruiters. I liked the choice of Sodaberg because he is Midwestern unlike Romar and graduated from a small school.

Weber would have taken the Slu job before Illinois opened up.

SIU has lower academic standards -many state schools like

Illinois have majors in PE and Parks ans Recreation. we fit in the A10 also. It will be a better league with Slu and Charlotte

People forget one of the big reasons he has two schollies left over is cuz darren clarke transfered fairly late in the year. Do you think Brad was planning on Clarke transferring? I'd doubt it.

>People forget one of the big reasons he has two schollies

>left over is cuz darren clarke transfered fairly late in the

>year. Do you think Brad was planning on Clarke

>transferring? I'd doubt it.

I understand, but the fact that we weren't able to land a 4 who could contribute this season has hurt. We might be talking about being on the bubble now.

Power forwards who can compete right away are few and far between. I don't think I've ever seen one around these parts. It's nice to say it and hope for it but tough to do it. Look at our history of jucos Brown, Newborne, Jeffers, even Love all made a much bigger difference as seniors than they did as juniors.

ace, just to get your accurate perspective, are you upset that the billikens couldnt land a quality power forward that could immediately contribute (quality) or are you upset that he didnt fill all the scholarships (quanity)?

i too am upset that we dont have any depth at the inside positions that can contribute significantly right now, however i do not see the point in bringing in players just to fill available scholarships. i think these are two separate issues.

>ace, just to get your accurate perspective, are you upset

>that the billikens couldnt land a quality power forward that

>could immediately contribute (quality) or are you upset that

>he didnt fill all the scholarships (quanity)?

>

>i too am upset that we dont have any depth at the inside

>positions that can contribute significantly right now,

>however i do not see the point in bringing in players just

>to fill available scholarships. i think these are two

>separate issues.

Again Roy, nobody is advocating just bringing in players to fill scholarships. Of course I want to fill scholarships with players who will contribute. My first preference would be to land a big who can contribute right away. I realize that may not be realistic, as Rich suggests. So the next course of action is to get a big in the program to redshirt. This is where player development becomes so important. It took Ian a couple years under his belt to really come into his own.

In hindsight, VN was a mistake and not landing a big with one of the open scholarships last year was a missed opportunity. I think landing a 4 the caliber of Randal Falker should be a realistic goal. This spring signing period is critical. It will be the difference bettween us being an NIT team or Tourney team in the years to come.

ace, i totally agree with that line of thinking. i was confused you and hardball were advocating that we should be filling scholarships just because. thanks for straightening me out.

>Also do you really think Brad is going to redshirt McQ? I

>definitely think he should but SLU is so starved for outside

>shooting I don't know how he can. But this proves my point

>in a way because a Red Shirt on McQ would be perfect. Let

>him settle into the program and the speed of D1 ball and

>then bring him in ready to go when Polk graduates.

Why do you call Dustin McGuire "McQ"? Should that be McG?