I Suppose Coach Soderberg...

Schasz

No offense to Xavier...but because of their league this year...non-conference quality wins are very important. And I am sure it is tough for them to schedule too. They have ZERO margin for error in conference and conference tounrey. If X keeps sprinking in more of these losses, and has an ordinary conference run, they aren't dancin. Iowa and UNC get to play in the rigors of tougher conferences, where you find out just how good a team is or isn't, as long as their conference is having a decent year. They can lose a few more, if they throw in quality wins.

If some other A-10 schools were having better seasons, and more importantly had they beaten some ranked opponents non-conference, X would have a better shot.

IMO, X's recent tourney success as well as their tradition, will help them when on the bubble. If, given their results this year...their name was more garden variety...I wouldn't have a lot of confidence with tourney hopes.

Those RPI numbers etc...will be making some big changes for people good and bad.

anyone that follows the a-10 board knows that the typical a-10 fan is clueless about the rpi. a number of them have argued with a few of us billiken fans about the importance of the rpi and sos to make the tourney. so many of them think total wins is more important.

the other issue that kills our conference will ultimately be the bottom 2-4 teams. the rpi for the likes of duquesne and st bonnie will just be a killer for the other teams.

I see X as losing no more than 1 Conf game, if even that, the rest of their schedule. If they play even close to their ability then no A-10 losses and yes that means they beat us in our rematch. Our defense is not so good as to have caused them to go almost 13 minutes w/o a field goal-we got lucky that they imploded.

You are so right! Luke had a wonderful game--particularly his floor game and his defense and hustling for loose balls. The three ball was nice and the free throws were clutch. He deserves huge kudos for hanging in there even though he was not playing much in previous games. I said it last year--he reminds me a lot of Chris Sloan--he is a player that impacts the game much more than the statistics!

while i tend to agree that gw is slightly more athletic, the inside players of xu as a collective group are without peers in the conference. that duncan kid that comes off the bench would be a top player at most every school in the conference. i'd rather have thornton than pops. the rest are also very big and strong and mobile. add to that, wolf, burrell, and finn are no slouches. but the frontcourt is the difference.

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had numerous bad calls by the refs. We turned the ball over 20 times. But we played hard for 40 minutes. The reason they shot so poorly is because we played great defense. You do not win a game on the road against a team as good as Xavier by luck. You might have one shot roll off the rim and be lucky but you are not "lucky" for the whole game. Give the team some credit for gosh sakes!

SLU won fair and square. I rarely do the official talk, but will sparingly. And it isn't happening here.

SLU won, tip cap...move on. I think it wouldn't be a stretch to say SLU surprised X with their tenacity and defensive effort. It's a dreaded Sunday night game at home for X, playing SLU....did they look past them...maqybe. Doesn't matter. Obviously if X matches the intensity of their opponent...most times in the A-10 they will win, including against SLU.

SLU is going to get wins against better teams because of their effort. SLU also is going to lose games because of thier ability level, and inconsistency with less expereinced players, and with less talented players. That is just what they have right now. Throw in a game where SLU struggles with thier play and doesn't bring an "A" effort....people will cry Richmond or something else. Very small margin for error. When good teams match their intensity level, they will lose more games.

It isn't the case on this thread...but I never undrstood why people get so up and down over one game....this team was supposed to be inconsistent and they are.

Your inability to accept any comment less than 200% positive about Brad, the players or anything else Billiken BB related is getting old. Please get yourself to accept realistic comments that may only be 98% positive.

The purpose of my Xavier post was not intended to diminish how happy we should be about the win. It was huge. If I wanted to throw cold water on the win I would have brought up the 20 turnovers YOU brought up. If you cannot be objective enough to admit that our defense, although very good, did NOT cause Xavier to go 13 minutes w/o a field goal, then enjoy your little dream world. Will you accept that we were "fortunate" that X imploded? Golly gee, lighten up.

The post was responding to a post which questioned whether Xavier would get into the NCAA tourney. My response was intended to give my viewpoint about how good I believe X is. Sorry that in attempting to praise X I may have not been 200% positive about our Bills.

I apologize for the tone of this post, but man you are wearing me out.