Xavier Student Body = Amazing...SLU Student Body = Path

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone considered doing some research into the reasons students claim they don't come to the game? It would be interesting to hear what they had to say...however...

As a recent graduate, I would venture to guess the reasons cited by BCFinance are the top five.

Conclusion to draw from this entire thread (other than how to attach SLU fans that go to games): The arena will be great, but an absolute blitz of marketing must accompany it. Not just for the first game or two, not for the first season or so, but ongoing from that point forward. Knowing the composition of our athletic department as I do as a former Blue Crew finance man myself, I'll tell you that right now we do not possess anywhere near the staff (nor is the staff given the resources) to make that blitz happen. And it might help to have a really good team the first couple of years as well (which is why what we do with the 3 schollies we have open is crucial).

One of the following must happen for SLU to attract more students, and also a younger fan base:

1) Fr. Biondi wants to win in hoops, andsees the value of winning hoops for the overall school. (this has not happened in his tenure)

2) The coach sells the program to anyone and everyone, while also coaching the team. It is a business, big time business. The coach cannot defer those things to the Athletic dept and administration. Coach must have a vision for the whole experience. Soderberg does not want to do more than coach...as if he were at a D-III school. I admire his passion for pure hoops, but it doesn't work that way...gotta enbrace the rest too.

3) Win games, and not by 50-48 scores. Dynamic non-conference shceduling(the conference itself won't drsw extra folk). and recruit better players. Not just one class.

4) The AD needs to have that vision that the coach does not have. Levick for example, came from a long winning tradition in multiple sports at Stanford.

Seriously, for anyone to go to Wake Forest, Marquette, Villanova, Xavier etc...go to a Thurs night or Sat game against a decent opponent. Observe all the things going on...you would be amazed at the difference. I am telling you...that kind of atmosphere extends past the handfful of great games on a schedule and dips into the average games on a schedule, or still exists if your team is merely decent, once the atmosphere is created.

I could not agree more with your post. Please do not let this idiot get under your skin or diminish your enthusiasm. That is what negative jerks like to do--hurt people and bring them all down to the sewer in which they reside. Keep up the good work and thanks for your efforts.

bluecrewprez,

don't let the board clown, metz, get you down. Even though you are relatively young, you probably have already noticed that the world is nearly fully of big-time talkers, while 20% of the total commit their time and talents.

prez, you will always be a contributor, and metz will always be just a talker.

Thanks for your efforts.

I don't think we are necessarily just bashing the Blue Crew. However, I don't see how anyone honestly can defend them. It is just the complete lack of student support at games that frustrates me. I don't think I have ever heard a uniformed cheer from the student section. That is pathetic. Have some pride in the school you go to. Forget cheering for Xavier or Marquette or Mizzou, they may be better programs, but the fact of the matter is you go to SLU, show some pride. It seems like all of the students at SLU cheer for another school. I don't understand it. I went to the SLU/Gonzaga game with friends from Vanderbilt, Arizona, and Mizzou and they could not believe the complete lack of student support and overall cheering at the game. Granted it was winter break, but there are a lot of students from the area who should be there and its the biggest home game of the year. I just wish there was a way to get students to the games. Having a winning team that is exciting to watch is hopefully the answer. I just can't stand hearing all of the students from Wisconsin who root for Marquette and other students who root for teams other than SLU. What happened to school spirit? Hopefully, winning is the answer. Why isn't there a group like the Antlers here at SLU who make it a point to make the opposing team uncomfortable every night. I look forward to the day of an oncampus arena where the students come out and where opponents can't stand playing.

i believe one of the claggett and highmark teams went down to the last game tied with cincy. not completely sure, but seem to remember that.

before that, i think our last conference championship was back in the early 70's in the mvc with joe wiley as our star player.

>I don't think I have ever heard a

>uniformed cheer from the student section.

Then you're not listening.

And you can defend the Blue Crew because they're the students that have spirit. Your problem is with the ones that aren't there. Like everyone has been tell you, your criticism is misdirected. Let it go.

Is the band not a student organization?

The talk that I responded to was the situation 5 years ago. There were about well over 50 STUDENTS in the band that came to every game.

No, not all band members are students... but the majority are.

I'm not at all disagreeing with the question of student support, in fact it was something that I was always very upset with in my days as a student. There are many excuses why students won't support the basketball team- but very few good ones. The fact is Saint Louis University doesn't have very many people that choose the school for their athletics. 35% of kids that go to KU go there because they have been raised as KU basketball fans... and that 35% is plenty to fill up the Phog.

SLU would be lucky to have 3% of their applicants interested in their basketball program as fans. We rely on the students that are sports fans in general... but they won't come out unless we are winning.