favorite bills game ever

bbill

I'd have to go with the UMASS one too. When Hughes came flying down the lane on that dunk, my roommate and I at the time erupted with every Bills fan. It was right in front of us. And then he hit that turnaround j on the baseline.

My favorite moment from that trip was after the game at the Underground. I was a freshman, but we were with a group of adults. Everyone was happy we won, but knew we'd get killed by UK. I think the first prediction was 40 points, and everyone pretty much agreed. Then, people started drinking Bud Lights and after 30 minutes, it was down to 30. Then after about 90 minutes, the consensus was, "we may be able to hang with them for a half, but we'll lose by 20." After 2 hours of drinking, it was a 10-point loss. By 10 p.m. that night, everyone had us in the Sweet Sixteen.

I guess mine would be the win over Kansas on Robertson night,man all the Jayhawkers at work couldn`t believe it.JLove !

Got to see Hughes in person,here in KC,when to Bills beat UMKC,we sat like 3 rows from the floor.

I'll always remember two others with special fondness. Grawer's first NIT team--we had the first round NIT game against So. Miss. It was only the NIT, but for us that was a major deal. Finally, a feeling of legitimacy. And Kiel was filled. The other is a home game against Memphis State in the mid 80's. We basically kept Larry Finch's guys from scoring for the entire 3rd quarter of the game. There's nothing better than stifling defense!

Of course, every win against Huggins was sweet. I miss Gruehls. Maybe some A10 fan will fill the void.

Not in order...

- My first ever SLU game vs. Loyola (think I still have the ticket stub somewhere)

- Bonner NIT vs. New Mexico

- Hughes single-handedly beating Marquette

- Troy Robertson beats Ryan Robertson and KU

- All three of the Mizzou games

- SLU vs. Maryland in the 94 Tournament - at that point, it was just exciting to be there

- The UC and DePaul games in the Miracle in Memphis run

- Marque and the boys upset #2 Louisville

- SLU finally wins at the Shoe that same year

- Our tourney wins vs. Minnesota and UMASS

great billiken games in my fandom in no particular order:

-depaul win at the old kiel to send us to new york for the nit semi's. i thought that was really the beginning of the billikens becoming a serious program after living through ekkerball and coleman's mess.

-beating illinois and mi$$ouri at the dome. both were great wins that gave me bragging rights to a lot of friends.

-most of marque's senior season was great finishes galore. of course louisville was the best of the group.

-troy robertson's greatest nite of his life beating more heralded big brother ryan and kansas. just awesome.

ncaa wins vs minnesota (claggett, highmark and h) and umass (larry legend)

*********but NOTHING tops the miracle in memphis. justin love guaranteed that tourney. and he carried the team to the title game. the win vs cincy was particularly sweet. i was still on an adrenalin high when i got back to st louis hours later.***********

The DePaul win a couple days after the Cincinnati win in that C-USA tournament. I got to watch the Billikens cut down the nets! That was awesome. They carried Perry up the ladder to cut his piece of the net. Then it was party time on Beale Street. I don't remember much after that.

A lot of this thread is relatively recent games, so I'll remind you some older ones - our 20 pt comeback in the 2nd half at "The Pit" in NM - Roland Gray was the man in his sr. year who wouldn't be beat on the way to the NIT finals. The other was vs the Memphis State team that played UCLA in the NCAA finals when Walton dropped 21/22 shots on them in St. Louis. We played MS our final home game at Kiel and beat them - Harry Rogers, Jesse Leonard, and Bill Paradoski were the big 3 on that team, which finished 21-9, I think, and didn't even make the NIT. The fields for both tournaments were smaller in those days.

My all time favorite is the win over Cinci @ Memphis. I experienced so many emotions. My wife and I, walking to the Pyramid, are passed by a bus load of Cinci fans. We have Billiken colors on so they begin shouting and making fun of the Bills. I felt angry. During the game we moved up and sat is come empty seats behind the Bills bench and over heard Romar talking to the team during time-outs. Romar's intensity and emotion had an inpirational effect on us and we were not players, buy his talks still made us excited. Then the ecstasy and feeling of exhiliration over the win. That nite we went to a restuarant, and by luck, Bob Huggins and his staff were sitting at an adjacent table. Bob was joined by his beautiful wife and children. Huggins was crying over the broken leg incident. It was real emotion and very touching. It was a different side of Huggins I had never seen before and I became a fan of him. On the way home we stopped @ Lamberts in Sikeston. We had Billiken colors on and John Redden's dad came up and talked. He was a great person and I always like John because he played at Marquette HS which was close to where I use to live and John played so hard and so tough. As you can see by the end of the trip we had experienced a wide range of emotions. My favorite radio game was the win over Loyola in Chi town. We were down w/ 4 sec left and had to go the length of the court. Roland Grey received an inbounds pass and shot a 3 pointer from way out. It went in and the Bills won. Rammer went bonkers. So did I.

I am glad you mentioned that game. I remember being there and there many annoying Memphis fans at the game, especially one ditzy blond. She kept screaming about when Memphis would go into the zone press which they eventually did and that is when the Bills blew them out of Kiel.

I was at the tournament and I remember you telling that story. It was great.

Two other stories and I don't know if this was you but after the Bills beat So. Miss in the first round, Huggins was walking around the floor and somebody hollared for Huggins' attention. He looked up the Bills' fan shouted that we would take them down the next day. Huggins looked at the guy like he was nuts.

The other story relates to the obnoxius Cincy fans. Before the game they stopped in some bar near the Pyramid and were screaming Cincy cheers. After the game we were in the same bar and they all came in very depressed and my wife then started screaming Billiken cheers. They did handle it in good humour.

The most memorable games for me were definately the Miracle in Memphis and then when we beat Louisville. I can remember sitting in 8th grade Algebra class during the tournament in Memphis. My teacher let me sit in the back and watch the game tracker online for the Cinci game. I had no idea that Kenyon got hurt so after class I had P.E. and I was running around screaming that we just beat Kenyon Martin and the number one team in the country. Great memory! In person it was definately the Louisville game. I can still remember three Louisville fans who were sitting in the row behind us telling us the whole game how they were killing us and how we had no chance and I just remember dad turning to them when Marque hit that shot and they had no comments at all. Priceless!

#1 SLU beats Minnesota in first round of NCAA Tournament in Baltimore. That was the team when Erwin Claggett and Scott Highmark were Seniors. This poster's 4 undergraduate years at SLU coincided with the Ron Ekker Era. Thus, I almost could not believe what I was watching that day in Baltimore after flying all night from the West Coast to get there. It was like Heaven on Earth. Many were talking about the Billikens at Baltimore's Inner Harbor after that victory.

#2 SLU beats UMass in first round of NCAA Tournament at Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Larry Hughes took over that game at crunch time. That win was very exciting too.

#1 would be the win against SIU at SIU when Hughes took control in the last couple of minutes. My wife and I took my 12 year old son and two of his friends to SIU for the game. We were down by close to 20 with just a couple minutes left and the SIU fans were doing the "Na na na na, hey hey, goodbye". That is when Mr. Hughes decided to shut them up. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it seemed like Hughes scored like 25 points in the final 2 minutes and we won. The place just went silent. The Saluki fans were absolutely STUNNED, SPEECHLESS. I was equally stunned, but for a completely different reason. I knew at that point that Larry would not be playing college basketball for very long.

#2 I do not remember the exact game, but it was the Highmark/Claggett/Waldman era at the old arena. The upper deck had three huge tarps spelling out S L U. They covered about 60 seats or so, but it was okay, because there were never that many fans. The Billikens were on a winning streak and each game became more and more crowded. Finally, a couple of ushers went up into the upper deck and began removing the tarps to accommodate the growing crowd. Wow! What a feeling that was. Despite the ups and downs, the trend has been up ever since.