JUCO PF's

GMan Alum

I was at Meramec's JUCO shootout this past weekend and there were a couple guys that could possibly fill the big man openings.

#1 was Lance Stemler from SWIC. He's listed as 6' 8" and poured in 32 versus a very good (although they didn't play well this particular game) Moberly team. He has a nice stroke and hit 5 3's, plus he rebounded well and scored from all over the court, including inside. For those that attended the high school shootout at Savvis last week, think of a poor man's Chase Budinger. His high school coach (Gibault) was pleading for Earl to have Brad recruit the kid. He went to Bradley as a freshman so he is going to play D-1 ball somewhere next year.

#2 was Abayomi Ajasin from Three Rivers. Originally from Nigeria, he's a legit 6' 7", with an NBA-type body. his defense needs work, but he rebounded well (one was spectacular) and showed some nice inside moves.

Anybody else know much about them?

I don't see Lance as a power forward. imo, he is a small forward. He scores, but he doesn't defend well and he is not a tough rebounding PF.

Out of Gibault, Lance did not have any serious D1 offers and went to SWIC in Belleville. I believe he broke his wrist in the pre-season workouts before his freshman season, and took a redshirt year. Late the following summer Lance took a remaining scholarship from Bradley.

At Bradley, Lance played in 12 of 28 games, averaging 5.4 minutes per game. Shot 3-17 from the field, including 1-12 from 3. Had 11 rebounds in the 12 games he played. I don't know why Lance left Bradley after one season.

In high school Lance was a scorer. Scoring well this season for SWIC also.....but he is not a PF. He was skinny in high school and has added some nice strength over the past two years. Needs another 15 or so pounds of strength. A nice wing player...but not a strong PF.

Tseugnekillib, I completely agree with you on your statements about Stemler. I think Bradley or a program similar to it is the right fit for Lance. He is by no means a power forward as you said, but can score from the wing. What about Curtis Muse? I have absolutely no clue what his grades are or anything else, but he seems like he has a lot of potential. Is there any chance on him? Just a thought.

Muse verballed, not sure if he signed or not, with a smaller Texas school, something like Texas St, can't remember exact name though.

Only other JUCO forward that I know about is Calvin Walls at Iowa Western CC. He is putting up good numbers there, but you can't tell too much by that. This is the same JUCO that Kenny Brown went to and also Morris the PG that signed with us and then didn't pass that summer course and ended up at Wisc-GB. At least we do have a history of getting recruits from this JUCO which seems like a big deal since we know SLU troubles with transfer credits from JUCOs.

From what I heard after Mullen's Tulsa event, SLU is pretty interested in Ajasin.

Yomi is still pretty raw, but has improved markedly since his freshman season. He is a really emotional fellow, and that sometimes hinders him. He can sometimes disappear for long stretches, but I think he is becoming more consistent. He is an excellent student.

Three Rivers has a couple of other PF's. Both are more slender than Ajasin. Jermaine Dailey is a very explosive leaper, but he is more offensively raw than Ajasin. Durrell Nevels is an excellent shot blocker, and while he is more polished than the other two, his productivity is down greatly from last season. I assume he is still feeling the effects of a knee injury that cut short his freshman season...

There is a 6'8" soph at Moberly named BJ Benning. He is putting up some good numbers this season after seeing limited minutes last year.

i saw stemler quite a bit in h.s. and felt he could become a better shooting chris sloan. i.e. i thought he was a little thin in h.s.

i have not had an opportunity to see him this year at swic, but seeing his numbers, it has occurred to me that possibly he might be our answer as well. can you comment on his body and his ability to guard inside players and rebound iyo?

>Muse verballed, not sure if he signed or not, with a smaller

>Texas school, something like Texas St, can't remember exact

>name though.

>

>Only other JUCO forward that I know about is Calvin Walls at

>Iowa Western CC. He is putting up good numbers there, but

>you can't tell too much by that. This is the same JUCO that

>Kenny Brown went to and also Morris the PG that signed with

>us and then didn't pass that summer course and ended up at

>Wisc-GB. At least we do have a history of getting recruits

>from this JUCO which seems like a big deal since we know SLU

>troubles with transfer credits from JUCOs.

Muse committed to North Texas

Walls name has come up on several occasions. Wondering if there is actually any intrest and what his grades were/are like. Checked his stats out once this year and seemed in line with what VN did his last year at Chipola, perhaps Im wrong on that. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure that we can afford another bust like VN in the next couple of years as they will be critical to prove that our program is on the upswing.

I have not seen Lance Stemler play but he is described as a 6'8" player (no weight given but was listed as 195 at Bradley last season so assume bigger, maybe 210) who can score from the wing and is thought to be soft playing down low. Assuming he gains another 10 pounds of muscle, I think you are describing PFs at many D1 schools--Steve Novak anyone? Granted Novak was a superior shooter and 6'10". Everyone is looking for a big mashing PF who can get it done on the block. I'm skeptical we'll land such a player from a JUCO who can qualify at SLU. Great if it happens. Given that Stemler could contribute offensively (which many a PF at SLU has not) you could take a chance on him as a fallback option and hope that he can be coached up on the defensive end. Two summers in the SLU weight training program and you might have yourself a player for his senior year.

I have to admit I only saw him play one game, but he was pretty impressive. Moberly could not seem to catch up with him and he had very nice form as he buried trey after trey on them. He scored 32 and some of them were inside, plus a couple put-backs. He may still be a little lean, but he is not frail by any means. Ten pounds would be all he needs, because I'd hate to see him lose his quickness. He logs most of the minutes and never seemed to drag - the other bigs were rotated pretty regularly. I don't have a count of his rebounds, but he wasn't pushed around inside. Brad has said that he wants more offensive type players because he feels he can teach them how to play defense.

i have never considered novak as a pf. he is as soft as they come. nothing but a shooter. a fantastic shooter, but that is all he has ever brought to the table imo.

Novak is 6'10 and possibly the best shooter in the history of Marquette basketball. He's the exception, not the rule. I think Stemler's Adam Morrison-like numbers at SWIC when he couldn't get off the bench of Bradley crysalizes how much the juco scene has declined in recent years. The rise of prep schools has really been a drain on juco talent. If there was a game between Tommie's Hargrave team and SWIC, I'd take Hargrave in a heartbeat.

wow, that is an interesting thought 3 star. but it make a lot of sense. our own liddell and washington's justin dentmom bear that out. both would have been at jucos 5-10 years ago.

After checking out VN stats at Chipola and Howard they are more than acceptable. When it was announced that VN had signed with SLU I remember reading on this board that VN was going to be a great contributor to this team as I think he has been, but now you seem to think he is a waste. Do you remember Tom Frericks who came from Chipola 1 year before VN was said to be the best pf SLU had signed. But now there is a problem with a juco pf he may hurt the program. Well nothin can hurt this program worse than a team full of guards and a unhealthy pf. I think going with a juco pf is a great idea. What do you want a pf that is straight out of high school or unhealthy and has to waste a year and redshirt tell me how that will help the program? You know I think the coaches should let the board recruit and see what a great team you put together since you are so quick to judge.

Va'shun is not a power forward. He is a big slow guard or a small forward acking the ability to slash or jump. Take your pick. Tom Frericks was everything I could ask for in a juco center. Va'shun is not hardly anything I could ask for in a juco power forward. I'll agree that he isn't a "waste" as some might have intimated.

Vasshun is quicker than most if you attend practice you will often see Vasshun running in timed runs and keeping up with the all so mighty guards so slow I don't think so. Everything you want in a power foward it is a mystery what you people want out of any of the bills. But as said before the coaches should let the board recruit then you can get what you really want!

Quit with the Mississippi have you ever thought of Ms.Fan(Miss Fan) and I did not say he was faster/quicker than anyone I just was letting you know he was not slow. Stating that Vasshun keeps up with the guards and if you are calling him slow then you are saying the guards are slow.

first, why play games? we politely asked what the ms stood far and you were the one that wouldnt tell us. so that seems to give us the right to assume what we wish. if you are telling us it stands for ms as in mister or mizz fine. we shall call you mizzfan from here out. thank you.

as to the newborne speed issue, again it seemed to me you were implying that newborne was as fast or faster than some of our guards. now you wont commit on that statement specifically? i personally think newborne is aas quick or quicker than maybe husak and our injured obi and that is it. but if you think he is as fast as some of our guards, i would be interested in which ones you think he is as fast as.

Sorry you feel this way but VN and JJ are the men you are going to get inside this year so deal with it. And we are not only getting killed inside please outside to, did you see the Jackson State, UNC, or Ole Miss game? How many 3s' did they hit? How many did SLU hit come on this is an all around issue. Imagine the team with all guards and you think the record last year was bad this would be horrible. Thank god for the big men IV who is the man in the paint, JJ who has stepped up tremendously and VN the pf/guard!