NCAA Soccer scores...

courtside

...SMU continues to lose(2-0 New Mexico)...granted to some very very good teams, but they are having their worst year in recent memory. This does not boad well for "quality" win for SLU over them.

Tulsa formerly ranked but not anymore, did beat top ten Creighton last night, so that helps a little bit.

I don't know but Donigan sure realizes the situation:

"I can't begin to explain the depth of my disappointment in this result," Billikens head coach Dan Donigan said. "In the last two matches, we haven't played the type of soccer that honors the legacy of this program. We will change that, and that's a promise."

I'm not making excuses ... but I don't know how many teams could go through the losses we have and still be dominant. Either way though the last 2 games have been horrible. Donnigan needs to get it turned around and quick

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Two straight years of no NCAAs should mean Donnigan is ready for the chopping block. I don't care how many guys leave for the pros with our legacy and the surrounding areas immense soccer talent we should not be looking at a second straight losing season.

I don't care how good you are ... if you lose 3 of your top 4 or 5 players after 1 or 2 seasons to the pro's ... you are going to have a down year or 2. We won't finish with a losing record, though we will have to win the A-10 tourney to make the NCAA tourney.

I will agree that Donigan needs to get this team playing to their capabilities. Losing to Tulsa like they did and then this loss last night are not acceptable, but Donnigan said the same now lets see what he does. We have too much talent on the defensive side of the ball to give up a quick goal to Northern Illinois and we need to finish chances. There is no question we need to recruit a couple of difference makers on the offensive side of the ball.

Torch ... did you go last night?

>Two straight years of no NCAAs should mean Donnigan is ready

>for the chopping block. I don't care how many guys leave

>for the pros with our legacy and the surrounding areas

>immense soccer talent we should not be looking at a second

>straight losing season.

Wasn't the team over .500 last year? Considering the timing of Vedad's exit that really hurt the team.

this year we lost 2 players to the MLS draft Will John and Tim Ward both U20 National team players. Will was going into his Jr year and led the team in scoring last year and Tim Ward was a freshman defender with incredible skils. Brian Grazier an ex U17 National team player has not yet played this year. Wileman our 2nd scorer last year was hurt early and has only had a couple of weeks to get in game shape and our starting keeper is just coming back from an injury.

I would disagree that sending players on to the professional ranks and bigger and better things shouldn't be included in a coach's evaluation. You've got to be kidding me.

You see this same thing happen in hoops more and more these days.

SLU has had two seasons of mediocre play for their standard after several kids left early. They weren't immediately replaced at the elite best of best level. I still believe this year's team will win most of its remaining games, and their conference tourney at home.

SLU tied the consensus #1 team and defending national champion away from home 1-1, and played them even. They did lose to ND in 2 OT in another even game. The problems were Duke, weren't ready to play against the then #2 team in the first half, Tulsa and N Illinois. Michigan has become a MUST win game this Sat at home. SLU needs to basically run the table the rest of the way, ...GW is a good team as well.

SLU's record when scoring even just one goal in a game vs not, is night and day. Their problem is finishing and has been for two seasons. And the pressure to finish just builds and builds.

First I want to say hi to everyone as this is my first post and I'm looking forward to much Billiken soccer and basketball discussion!

Courtside you bring up some valid points but I was at the game Sat. and unless some MAJOR adjustments are made and some boys decide to step up this team will be an utter, utter disappointment irregardless of who they lost.

That game Sat. was the WORST I have ever seen SLU play in all the years I have been watching them. Outside of a few guys it was as if they never played soccer before. I am a huge supporter of Johnny D. but I didn't know he was playing! And why Donigan had him flanking that left side vs. right is a mystery to me. The Bills couldn't put 3 passes together that actually moved the ball up the field to save their life. Pathetic effort. Granted N. Illinois got a goal on a deflection and just packed it in, but we HAVE to finish. This team has to get past Vedad's abscence which is now an entire season removed. There is plenty of talent on this team but they have to really bear down, wear opponents out and finish.

Also, does anyone know what is up with Calum Angus? He did play at all Sat. and therefore he must be hurt as he is the anchor of that defense.

Z

Welcome to the board.

Nobody on the national college soccer scene and really on the local level expected SLU to be good this year. They were unknown, expected to be competitive and play tough, but the questions were can they finish? Most thought no, and up until they have been right...played the elite teams tough, but don't finish. Playing poorly the past couple of games and resulting in losses were not expected and won't be tolerated.

I would disagree about SLU's talent level. SLU's talent level is not elite. Period. They do not have "elite" back level players. Solid players sure, elite, no. They do not have even one proven "elite" finisher, let alone a couple. They didn't even have a creative midfielder last year. SLU has too many muckers and grinders, and too many soft players. They have virtually zero size as well. A few years ago, they had multiple finishers, depth, etc...and and went deep into NCAA's a few times.

With success comes expectation. The old farts who are the walking dead with blue hairs have unrealistic expectations of the program. Period. The rest of the country has caught up with area soccer level, and some have surpassed it. Being great every year is quite challenging. More so than ever. Look at some rosters...how about the toughest conference in America, the ACC...loaded...and most of those elite teams have a roster of local and regional talent...UNC, UVA, etc...elite academic institutions, with great facilities, weather, size, etc..why wouldn't a kid want to go there...same out West....A REALISTIC expectation for the program is top 25 ranking and making the NCAA tourney each year. Some seasons like just a few short seasons ago, SLU will put together a run to the Final Four...with those couple of recent quarterfinal appearances, then maybe fall back a little bit...but I would agree that SLU should expect a top 25 team each year or close to it.

One game does not a season make....playing IU even on the road...on the high end, and losing to NIU at home on the low end.

BTW Tim Ward starts every game for NY Metrostars, and he isn't old enough to leagally drink...he also played the Worlds in Netherlands this past year, as did Will John, two defectees....and Vedad Ibisevic was the NATIONAL FRESHMAN SOCCER PLAYER OF THE YEAR, and playing professionally in Europe. ....It's not as if Casey Spiess, who's only other offer was Quincy college, left for pro ball.

I think it is fair to say people are concerned with the Tulsa and NIU losses, and where they are right now. They have a big game with Michigan Sat....and later on 4-5 straight road games to end the year...We'll see where they wind up. Two bad seasons would be frustrating...a couple of more after that would increase urgency.

SLU is a top 25 program, having a couple of tough seasons. What did they finish 6th nationally two years ago?....relax.

Courtside ... I would agree with you on our talent level, except on D. I don't know that we have any superstars ... but I think Angus could be one he has looked very good both times I saw him. I also think Brandon and Mo are above average and Danny Wynn has looked good. I don't know what happenned against Tulsa ... but take away that game and the 1st half against Duke and we have played good defense.

The midfield and front line are different stories. We are counting on Ryan Wileman to be one of our leading scores. I like his toughness and hustle ... but I don't think he has a high skill level. Johnny D is the same player as a Jr that he was as a freshman. Unbelievable on dead balls. but he has a head down run hard style with the ball that isn't condusive to stringing together passes. I've always liked Brian G and the way he distributes, he is strong on the ball and makes good decisions ... but he is hurt and I have no idea when he will be back.

With the Bills lack of speed they should be looking to string together short passes and push the ball through on the ground, but I rarely see that happen ... they keep wanting to play the ball back to the defenders who want to play it long down the wings ... not good when our forwards and midfielders can't outrun the other teams defenders.

We also cannot continue to miss 1 on 1 opportunities. I was never that big of a fan of Will John's style ... but give him the ball in the open field or a 1 on 1 with the keep and he finishes.

I haven't seen any of the freshman enough to give a real opinion.

Joe Germanese...Soph at Vanderbilt from SLUH, named MVC player of week leading Vandy to two wins over top 25 teams...scored twice and assisted twice in win over Memphis. Finding some fnishers would be nice. There are some out there, not easy to find, but it needs to be a priority.

I would agree that the back line is solid and in better shape than mid and upfront.

>Also, does anyone know what is up with Calum Angus? He did

>play at all Sat. and therefore he must be hurt as he is the

>anchor of that defense.

Calum Angus tweaked his MCL in training on Friday 9/23 and appears to be day-to-day...Grazier is working his way back, but it hasn't been decided if he'll play again this year, or ever, at SLU...Patterson had a quad problem, and that has limited his conditioning and training time...Wileman tweaked his foot...Donigan wouldn't say if that was the same injury or not.

The team is banged up, but Donigan is pretty pissed...I remember seeing Grazier benched during the 04 season; he responded pretty well...Expect Donigan to start going deep into his bench until he can find someone who wants to play...

As for players leaving early...Tim Ward apparently never intended to play college ball for more than a year, no matter where he went. Donigan was very upset about that and people in the program feel like Ward's lack of honesty wasted one of our roster spots...he would never have been recruited in if that was known. Nobody thought Will John was ready to leave early, but he did...Grazier and Johnny DiRaimondo may graduate soon, as they piled up college credits at Bradenton...this could be a very interesting recruiting year...