New Message Board Question

I probably should have asked this in the very beginning. But do people even want a new message board script? I simply thought it would be nice to upgrade to add a few features (mainly the ignore feature). However, it seems like people really want to make sure a lot of the old features of this board are retained in the new one, and that isn't entirely possible. Would it be best just to stick to this message board script or something very similar (The php version of it) instead of a completely new board.

If we ever do need to upgrade, we can eventually. However, it won't be until next summer until we do so.

Please Reply.

Steve

I am perfectly happy with the current board. I prefer it to the few other boards that I read. The ignore feature would be nice, but relatively low priority.

Either board is fine with me, the one feature that I would like to keep either way is the "view all" feature that is currently available so that I don't have to click on each message as I read through an entire thread.

Otherwise, the other board looks nice and modern.

i dont need gimmicks. i come to this board first and foremost simply because it has billiken talk and the best collection of discussers (is that a word?) on the internet. no where else do you find the level of intelligent discussion that we have at billikens.com.

the only change i have ever wanted is to make the posters more responsible for their thoughts. i.e. take away anonimity and the ability to use multiple screen names and fake information about themselves.and make them realize that their opinions will follow them reputationwise.

Roy, there is a flip side to your anonymity wish. If you destroy the ability for a person to post anonymously, I strongly suspect that we will lose the insights from several high-quality posters. There are people out there who have a lot to add to the discussion, but have legitimate reasons for not disclosing their identity.

the compromise is not to allow multiple personalities, aka say you post your basketball thoughts as billybobexpert but then argue insanely as triangleman. there should be a way to make sure someone doesnt have multiple screen names or is exposed for it so people know they are one and the same.

but you are probably correct. there are likely radio and tv personalities and billiken insiders that would just not post if they couldnt hide their profiles. those people deserve their anonimity. it is the trouble makers that dont want to take responsibility for their biting comments that are the problem.

I will leave this thread up for another day. If anyone has any dramatic complaints about this board, let me know.

Thicks, there will likely be a change of server and that is it (unless sentiment changes).

Steve