3 liddell articles in the belleville news democrat toda

probably the best place to find good reporting on the billikens locally now is the news democrat not the post. the post should have tried to hire sanders.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/sports/12153824.htm

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/sports/12153825.htm

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/sports/12153805.htm

three excellent articles and you can tell it only took a few interviews of Tommie, Brad, and Angres to get all the materials he needed.

If the Post thinks people (SLU fans and non-SLU fans alike) aren't interested in reading articles like that in the offseason they are crazy.

Roy, it most often is not the reporter, but the sports desk assignment editor that allows for three articles in one day. If we get some outstanding play from the local players, then we will not be complaining about lack of reporting inches in the Post sports page.

That said, I am not looking forward to Timmerman being the Bills bball reporter.

I also love the direction and focus that Tommie has achieved in a year at Hargrave. It takes a great deal of strength to turn your back on all that makes you comfortable, and plunge into a new world at eighteen.

I'm pumped about Liddell being at SLU for the next few years. I know Hargrave has produced some great D1 players in football I don't know too much about their basketball products but they were #2 in the nation.

On a sociological note, this is no fault of Sanders or Liddell, but why is sports the "way out of the ghetto"? Why does there have to be a way out and why is it always sports or entertaining? What about changing it for the better through education and being a productive citizen? Until we come to that realization senseless violence and a cycle of dependency on the government will continue.

all due respect sheltie, bs. we shouldnt have to wait until we are going to the final four to get a reasonable amount of coverage. is it too much to ask for a few feature articles on the players during the season. or maybe give us some recruiting insight. how about reporting on the nonrevenue sports occasionally? timmerman has proven in the past to be extremely noncaring or lazy or both. he was a DISASTER before as the reporter and likely is being sentenced to the duty now. his lack of passion proves he didnt want the job. and the lack of any kind of coverage to speak of this summer only proves the post dispatch doesnt care. the fact bernie reported more billiken information in 3 sentences than what timmerman has reported in weeks is a sad testimony considering how much bernie hates the program.

norm isnt even the billiken beat writer for the news democrat. steve korte is. norm is the blues beat writer. yet he went out and got a story(s) and sold it to the editors. and all the reports were top notch. good for the news democrat. sadly typical for the post dispatch. especially with stu out of the picture. my bet is that timmerman doesnt even know a single perspective billiken recruit and probably doesnt know what kevin lisch looks like.

abomb, the city of e st louis is a political nightmare. the citizens of east st louis have allowed the powers to be in city government, county government, state government, national government and the district educational system to greedily rape them of any chance at this time of ever helping themselves. it is all about a few getting rich and damn the rest. i.e. i understand the likes of tommie figuring his only chance is to play ball.

what befuddles me is the way the citizens continue to allow themselves to be held back for a few bucks. be it 7 dollars for their vote or a friendly politician turning a few favors to get additional aid, or allowing teachers that wont teach to continue to be employed, the citizens continue to sell their souls. it is a mess that frankly cant be fixed from the outside imo. the citizens gotta demand change internally first.

I gave up on the P-D a long time ago for overall coverage of SLU

sports. The only thing to do is to go to slubillikens.com and get all of the game results, with box scores included. The men's bball team is going to have to win big time, and advance in the NCAA a few rounds, before it will become a P-D "news" item. I'm not excited about Timmerman, but he isn't deciding what or who gets print space.

On a sociological note, this is no fault of Sanders or

Liddell, but why is sports the "way out of the ghetto"? Why

does there have to be a way out and why is it always sports

or entertaining? What about changing it for the better

through education and being a productive citizen? Until we

come to that realization senseless violence and a cycle of

dependency on the government will continue.

The story was about a basketball player with above average basketball skills from an impoverished area. A lot of kids who don't play the major high school sports of basketball, football, baseball, & etc. may not share the same ideas of athletics as their only way out. I'm sure most would tell you so, if only some reporter would do the story.

the city of e st louis is a political nightmare.

what befuddles me is the way the citizens continue to allow themselves to be held back for a few bucks. be it 7 dollars

for their vote or a friendly politician turning a few favors

to get additional aid, or allowing teachers that wont teach

to continue to be employed, the citizens continue to sell

their souls. it is a mess that frankly cant be fixed from

the outside imo. the citizens gotta demand change

internally first.

If you think these things only happen in East St Louis, you missed a very good program on PBS about the 2002 Mayoral election in Newark, NJ. tonight. People tend to side with political figures that most resemble their backgrounds, therefore if you have some elected official who may be corrupt, but also hands out turkeys during the holidays and can electric slide, his wrongdoings can be overlooked.

The PBS program followed the campaigns of incumbent Mayor Sharpe James vs Stanford educated newcomer Cory Booker. Booker was clearly the best candidate for the job, but lost because James labeled Booker-a Democrat a pawn of the right wing Republican Party. This is the silliness that keeps unqualified officials in office and qualifed people away from the stink, not the measly $7-10 dollars payouts at election times.

Thanks a lot for the post BRoy. These articles get me really excited about being a SLU student and a huge fan of a great basketball team. Not beacuse we will make the final four or even the tournament, but because I know that we recruit quality kids who will give everything they have on the floor and will also succeed in life. Tommie's comments prove this and so do the credentials of players on our current roster, alumni and incomming freshman. I am proud to know Tommie will play for SLU. I cant wait to meet him on campus in the fall. GO SLU!

"On a sociological note, this is no fault of Sanders or Liddell, but why is sports the "way out of the ghetto"? Why does there have to be a way out and why is it always sports or entertaining? What about changing it for the better through education and being a productive citizen? Until we come to that realization senseless violence and a cycle of dependency on the government will continue."

Sports alone isn't the only way out of the ghetto, it's the most ACCESSIBLE way out of the ghetto. Why not use it, as long as it gets you out, what does it matter? No one wants to stay in the ghetto. Who do we know that's successful still living in the hood and even if they are, how long will it last before the ghetto consumes them. The key is to make it out of the hood, find your own success in life and then come back to make a change. Here in Baltimore, we have ghetto's or hoods, as I say..but we have working people in the hood, retired people in the hood, we have politicians in the hood. The only time people outside of that like Media, Colleges etc want to come to the hood, is for an EXTRAORDINARY kid that's about to come up. How many of us have been in a situation where, u find yourself getting advice from the same people in the same situation as you. How did u receive their advice? Now take that same person who used to be in your situation, but is now a success story. Wouldn't u listen to him/her now? No ones gonna listen to someone who's trying to make a change and they're still in the hood, u have to show people why they need to make a change, show them what can happen if we make a change, show them you after you made a change. That's why u use your gimmick, game plan, your hustle to get out and use that same hustle to get others out. That's the way I see it. Harriet Tubman did it, many celebrities have and it actually works. That's how my family has done it for years and in my old neighborhood change is on the rise.