Cardinal Ritter

The amazing thing about that team,they didn`t win a state championship that year.Forgot who did win it.

White underachieved at G'town. By then Thompson just couldn't coach, so not his fault. White still kicks around in the league. More than Carrawell and soon Woods can say.

My memory escapes me but I believe Ritter had one more talented D-1 player on that team if not two more.

I think you are right. Ritter was a 2A school (back when they only had 4 classes) and played virtually nobody until they played Pembroke Hill out of KC. Pembroke had Jaron and Kareem Rush (Jaron was considered much better then his younger better back in highschool).

i would take laphonso ellis lincoln teams against those ritter teams. besides ellis, i am thinking that there were a couple of athletes on the team that ended up in the nfl as well so they were loaded with pure skills and talent as well.

i am sure p diddy or even jalensdad can remember the teamates, thinking there was victor scott and the big marshall guy that got in trouble when in the nfl plus phiffer kid that was a marvelous point guard. not sure why he never did anything past high school.

>i would take laphonso ellis lincoln teams against those

>ritter teams. besides ellis, i am thinking that there were

>a couple of athletes on the team that ended up in the nfl as

>well so they were loaded with pure skills and talent as

>well.

>

>i am sure p diddy or even jalensdad can remember the

>teamates, thinking there was victor scott and the big

>marshall guy that got in trouble when in the nfl plus

>phiffer kid that was a marvelous point guard. not sure why

>he never did anything past high school.

Victor Scott I believe was an outstanding football player at East St Louis Sr. Calvin Phiffer(Cincinnatti) was before Laphonso, he played on the 1982 State Champion Lincoln Team, which was Bennie Lewis' 1st championship. Some believe the 1982 team was Lewis' finest. The 1986-87 Lincoln team featured 3 Division 1 players in Laphonso Ellis(Notre Dame), James Harris(Temple), & Chris Rodgers(Creighton). Harris later went on to play in the NFL for the Raiders and the Rams. Harris was linked to some drug sting in St Louis but was later cleared. He never played a regular season game for the Rams.

I think those Ritter teams with all the great players (White, Woods Carrawell,Evans) at least by where they went to ball college ball, only one 1 state championship. I recall they used to get beat by Portageville, who didn't have a player over 6'2" on their roster.

My buddies and I had a theory that Preston Thomas, the Ritter coach, had an arragement with a car dealership that for every timeout he had left at the end of a game he got a discount as he was clueless.

On kind of a different topic, I live in St Charles and got into large disucssions with folks out here who said Ryan Robertson was the best player that year in St Louis area. My arguement was it was Chris Carrawell who was a sophmore. This was before he hurt his shoulder. He could do it all. One MO class 2A championship with that roster, unbelievable

cuonzo martin was not on the first lincoln state team in '87. he was a freshman, but lincoln was a three-year high school at the time. he was on the '88 and '89 teams that won the titles. they finished third in '90 when he was a senior playing injured.

phiefer played with the '82 team that featured tyrone jackson, todd porter and mark dale. the guards in '87 i believe were rodney chavis and a kid named chambers.

i was in school in chicago then and saw some great teams like king, simeon, de sales, aurora east and lincoln beat them all. nobody in chi-town could believe that a team from downstate could win three state titles in a row, but lincoln did it. those guys were unbelievable.

bad boyz for life

who was the good point guard from lincoln that ended up at kstate and when did he play? I am thinking last name jackson?

On page 164 of the book "Sweet Charlie, Dike, Cazzie, and Bobby Joe" - High School Basketball in Illinois, they list the guards as Lawrence Bradford and Mark Chambers.

Even though I didn't grow up in Illinois I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

ah yes - chris "cheese" rodgers...

was a top 50-100 recruit coming out of ESL lincoln - but scored about 10 pts his whole career at CU after numerous knee injuries...i believe he is now an alderman or some sort of elected official in omaha.

i don't know that cuonzo martin was on that squad - only a frosh if he was - i saw him play against my former high school over xmas break his senior year...he single handedly outscored the pioneers that night - was an impressive performance - and on another note - glad to see that he has beaten cancer and is starting a nice coaching career.

those were some impressive teams out of lincoln at that time - a lot of national recognition...

always big for us in the QC to beat teams out of chicago and the east st louis area - my fondest was kicking the crap out of altoff in 4a playoffs in 86 - but that was more for the classless fans/students than anything else (football).

my brother lost to the 91 version of BA - hickey thompson was the star - and he was a damn good running back - never won the three heismans that he predicted though...think he flunked out of both michigan state and illinois state. i think at the time he was the all time rusher for the state of illinois.

In 1988 didn't Althoff have a great back court of Corey Cox and BC Perry. Those 2 kids could play but the coach at that time was a football guy and had no clue about hoops. That team could have had the best back court in a longtime. BRoy would probably know those kids

>who was the good point guard from lincoln that ended up at

>kstate and when did he play? I am thinking last name

>jackson?

Your talking about 6'3inch Vincent"Action" Jackson. He was a 2-guard/sf and was the 1st player in the state to win 3 state championship. He hit the winning shot at the buzzer to beat Peoria Central for Lincoln's 3rd straight title. Tyrone Jackson went to K-State as a small forward.The point guard was a heady guy by the name of Rico Sylvester. He was the consumate point guard who always got others involved despite being a great shooter. He went on to SEMO.

That team placed 5 starters into Division 1 programs

Rico Sylvester-pg-SEMO

Chris McKinney-sg-San Diego State

Vincent Jackson-sg/sf-Kansas State by way of Moberly JC

Counzo Martin-pf-Purdue

Ronald "Tree" Harris-I forget what school, but he earned a Division 1 track scholarship after winning the shot put title as a senior.