Interesting recruiting site

VTIME

Just if anyone was wondering.

#1 StL Player...Ranked 77th....Leon Powell VASHON.

3rd StL Player,(Ranked 182) Albury Doss...VASHON

4th StL Player, (Ranked 217) Raymond Harrell....VASHON

Ranked 384.... Harvard McLemore....VASHON

Sounds like Vashon has a good team... ;)

prominently here. I also noticed three local players: Powell, Gilmore and Doss. With two of these three players from Vashon, it looks like another banner year for Vashon.

with all of those horses in the barn, maybe vashon won't duck any more teams like they did when they pulled out of the poplar bluff xmas tournament to avoid tyler hansbrough last year. a true national schedule like they used to play instead of the one last year with one national power (niagara falls) and a host of big-name schools in down years should be in order for the 05-06 season. They have the talent and coaching to go head to head with just about anyone, so let's go represent the 'Lou. there's no streak to protect this year and no tyler to deal with an the end of the trail, so let's throw caution to the wind. they should have at least a half dozen big-time national or regional opponents on the schedule. that's what cost them a state title last year. p. bluff took on the very best and took some losses while vashon fell in love with its streak and did not schedule as aggressively as in years past. Now, they can go back to the old days.

bad boyz for life

I dont think that they were dodging Pop Bluff by pulling out of that tournament seeing as though they beat Pop Bluff before with Tyler and Ben Hansbrough by double digits. He has to schedule out of town teams because a large quantity of teams outside his conferene just wont play him for some reason. There must be some animosity that I'm unaware of. They should play a tougher schedule especially with another top 10 national finish and no Tyler at the end of the road. Time to start a new streak. With 4 of the juniors to be in the nation, plus Bobby Hill, James Washington, and Brian Roach, Vashon shouldn't lose to anybody in the state and compete, probably beat most of the out of state competition as well. With Leon playing the inside-outside Nick Kern role it will be interesting to see who starts at center next season. Roach has played strong in the past, but doesnt have the potential of the 6'8 Adams or 6'8 Harrell, but we'll see if Irons goes for production over potential.

they played bluff twice in '03 when tyler was a sophomore and ben was a freshman who played part time minutes. bluff won the first game by about 25 points in their xmas tournament and vashon won the rematch in st. louis by about 15. they did not play in 2004 when both teams won state titles. that would have been the game to see. everyone speculated who would have won the game had they played. I guess tyler ended all of that speculation.

bad boyz for life

Tyler ended what speculation. There's a big difference between Curtis Muse and Leon Powell. Muse might not have been able to shut Tyler down, but would've put up a lot more resistant and been able to score on Tyler at the other end. There's also a game by the name of Dwayne Polk who was there in 2004. Only thing Tyler showed was that he could beat the guys who were junior, sophs and frosh on the 2004 team.

you right, muse would have given tyler a bigger target to dunk on repeatedly. hansbrough has excelled against the best young big men in the USA and around the world to become an all american. i don't think curtis muse would have been much of a problem for him. i think you know that too, but thanks for providing a little comic relief on the billiken board by mentioning those two in the same breath. don't try to backpedal and say all tyler did was dunk on a bunch of juniors and sophs. those juniors and sophs. comprised the No. 1 team in the country, right. they didn't lose a game right. So, what you're really trying to say was that that team wasn't as good as we all thought. vashon was favorite to win that game, remember. we were all shocked by how easily they got shellacked by basically a two-man show.

who knows who would have won the game in '04. but bluff was much better in 2004 than in 2005. they have the brown kid and other kid (i think his name was rivera) who could shoot lights out. ben hansbrough was the third and sometimes fourth option half the time. vashon really needed a leader like polk last year. they didn't have one. that's why they fell apart in columbia when things got hot. vashon needed a 21-point quarter from polk just to get by kearney, which was basically a football team in basketball shorts.

bad boyz for life

Dont underestimate Polk's presence. He had unlimited potential before the injury. He got back to his old self during his senior season, but unfortunately the scouts had long since dropped off of him. He was destined for another great Vashon and captured the only undefeated season in school history. I'm happy for Pop Bluff though. They got 2 titles, now they can fade back into oblivion. Polk has 3 titles, and Hansborough 2. Vashon will be in the title game again while Bluff might win their district, maybe. Vashon will be okay. Powell, Washington, Roach, Harrell, Davis, Hill, McLemore, will all be shooting for a second state title, while Adams, Cannon, Walker, and Hobbs will be shooting for their first title. Doss is looking to go to his 3rd straight championship game, he's yet to win one in Missouri or Georgia after his team appeared in title games in both states. Doss is a second generation Vashon player.

polk was definitely a difference maker in high school and will be in the next three years.

however, what poplar bluff did and more importantly, how they did it is what will have people talking about their title(s) for decades. it was the most anticipated state title game in many years in this state, plus you had one team that was ranked no. 1 in the country against a team that won the state title the year before with one of the top five players in the country. and the game was televised regionally so many people saw it in different states.

regardless of the outcome, this is the game that people will always talk about as long as they play high school basketball. i'm originally from chicago and still go back there quite often to see family and friends and to watch ball. we're in the middle of the summer and people are still talking about how tyler destroyed the No. 1 team in the nation. even my boys in chicago knew how good tyler was, but his legend grew when he whipped vashon in the title game. they still wonder how a team that is ranked No. 1 in the country with so many division I players could be beaten so soundly by a team with basically two division I caliber players.

we may all be old and gray before this one fades into oblivion. vashon may very well go on to win the next 10 state titles against the substandard competition in Missouri in front of a half-filled mizzou arena. Very few will care. they will blow out the vianneys, springfield glendales and parkway centrals of the world winning a bunch of titles is nice and vashon's record is tremendous, but is it really that big a deal when you have the opposition so badly outmatched from the jump.

Most people will remember what they were doing on that Saturday night in March when the two titans collided and what happened was a repeat of the Mike Tyson-Michael Spinks knockout.

that's what i like about being from illinois. you can have the best talent in the country and you still have to battle you behinds off just to get to peoria, much less win a state title. even the dynasties of peoria manual and east st. louis lincoln had to go through the ringer before winning their championships. you can recruit and stack your team all you want like carbondale did, but in the end, schyer was waiting for them in the title game and they handed them their heads. you got teams that have recruited and stacked their teams and still couldn't get a sniff of a state title.

I'm sure billiken roy and a few of our other illinois residents are feeling me on this one. take a trip to chicago sometime and look at some competitive basketball.

bad boyz for life

it has long been understood that the city league champion of chicago is more or less the team to beat at state. sure as p diddy states, there comes a peoria team or a lincoln team, but you can count on it, they will be playing a chicago team in the championship.

and what is amazing about that, probably the 2nd 3rd 4th and maybe even further of the rest of chicago will likely beat the rest of the state as well.

One great player can beat a great team and Tyler proved that. Congrats to him. I have been a Hansbrough since the night they beat Vashon. I couldnt be a fan before that, because I knew they were on a collision course with Vashon. I wouldnt say they beat Vashon soundly, but pulled away with a late run in the third quarter and sustained their distance throughout the fourth quarter. A sound beating was the Vashon thrashing of DeSmet in the 2002 title game. The score was like 84-29. It was anticipated because most people wanted to see the game in 2004, as did I. We all knew it would happen in 2005, but didnt know the outcome. I guess we'll never know what would've happened in 2004, if they had let Vashon play in Class 5 as they petitioned to do. I dont see Vashon losing to an in state team as long as Powell and Doss are there. They will win the next two Class 5 titles, but after that I'm not sure that 2008 class is that strong. The only one's who made varsity as freshman are 5'7 pg Darron Hobbs and 6'0 combo guard Cornelius "Cornbread" Walker

It is more competitive in Chicago. That's because all the top players in Chicago dont go to the same school. The top players in St Louis end up at Vashon and everybody else gets the rest. That doesnt mean Vashon could compete for or win a state title in Illinois. They beat a very good Chicago team this season led by 6'9 Mississippi signee Marquis Young

>That doesnt mean Vashon could compete for or win

>a state title in Illinois. They beat a very good Chicago

>team this season led by 6'9 Mississippi signee Marquis Young.

That "very good Chicago team" Vashon beat was Austin, which didn't qualify for the 64-team Illinois Class AA championship tournament (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/boysbasketball/cs-2005prepbbbrankings,1,2988569.htmlstory?coll=cs-hs-boysbasketball-utility) and wasn't ranked in (Chicago Tribune writer) Bob Sakamoto's final rankings (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/boysbasketball/cs-2005prepbbbrankings,1,2988569.htmlstory?coll=cs-hs-boysbasketball-utility).

I don't remember the specifics, but that "very good Chicago team" was rated as the fifth, sixth or seventh best team in its conference in the preseason by the Chicago Tribune.

- Nate

So were the scouts this forum lives by wrong or did they underachieve as a team. Doesnt matter, Vashon will still win the next two state titles, may not lose again until winter 2007 and have 3 or 4 players on their roster that SLU would be grateful to sign.