Who will be our statistical leaders next year?

Free throw attempts

Frew throws made

Assists

Rebounds

3 PT percentage

Liddell will lead in FT attempts, FT made and assists. I could see Liddell making a run at rebounds w/ the lack of bulk inside. As for 3 pt percentage, I'd have to go with Lisch at 36%. Never seen Lisch, but I can't see anybody on SLU shooting in the 40s.

I think there's a little too much hype on Liddell. I wish we would tame our expectations of him, but I see him leading the team in scoring and shooting less than 40%.

it wouldnt surprise me if lisch and liddell were the leaders in every category even rebounding.

Let's try this....With the addition of the outside threats and the improved passing I expect, I believe Vouyoukos will be the team leader in points this year. They won't be able to double team him like they did last year, he will be a year wiser, so if they do double team him, he will distribute. The limiting factor will be how quickly he gets pulled when he picks up fouls, as I don't see Husak being especially effective this year backing up IV.

mhg

"I think there's a little too much hype on Liddell."

AJ, you're on record as Liddell being our future leader in scoring, assists and possibly rebounding, so you're kinda in the hype camp yourself.

I wanted to get some input first before I threw my perceptions out there:

Free throw attempts: Vouyoukas

Frew throws made: Lisch

Assists: Polk

Rebounds: Vouyoukas

3 PT percentage: Lisch

on Liddell and that we should lower our expectations of him. However when I look at the roster, I just can't see who else would lead this team in the stat categories, especially with Lisch coming off serious knee surgery.

If Liddell leads the team in rebounding, then I would not expect to see him out on the break too often unless it comes off a steal. That is one of the reasons I hope Danny Brown gets significant minutes as he can guard the opposing 3 and help out on the boards relieving TL of that defensive assignment. I want to see Polk and Liddell screaming down the court creating easy baskets for themselves and others. Polk and Liddell 2 x 2 in the open court is really a mismatch.

But he can hit 15 ft jumpers consistently and if they cant keep him from just going right to the basket they'll have to double team him from to stop him. Give it 3 games, before word gets out on Liddell and teams have to start double teaming.

David, are you also from Greece or what? The only way Ian leads us in rebounding is if the ball always bounces right to him. Good rebounders need two traits-aggressiveness and jumping ability, neither one of which IO has--unless he has improved greatly over the summer. I agree he has above average skills, but he must soon learn how to play with desire/passion or he will continue to underperform for his talent level just as Matt Baniak did a few years ago.

"Good rebounders need two traits-aggressiveness and jumping ability."

How much organized basketball have you played? Rebounding success is primarily based upon good positioning. Aggressiveness and jumping ability will only get you in foul trouble if you don't know how to establish great position. Ian was the best on the team at establishing good positioning. This is why he was tied for the team lead in rebounds for the season and head and shoulders above everyone else after he took over the starting spot. Unless Ian is injured or Obi is healthy and the next coming of Anthony Bonner, there is no way Ian doesn't lead the team in boards.

David, agressiveness is what gets you in good position and if you would focus on IV in games you would note that he does NOT GET into good rebounding position but happens to be where the ball comes often times. For example, one game last year he was given credit for 2 rebounds that bounced on the floor first! He only led us in rebounding because we didn't have any other players who could rebound and some that might have been able to didn't get any minutes. I watched his rebounds/minute played last year and it was not pretty for a 6' 11" center.

I don't know how much organized BB you played to qualify you to know so much about rebounding, but remember you don't have to be a great player to know HOW to play the game right, e. g. Whitey Herzog and Tony LaRussa. However, many years ago I played 4 yrs. of high school and 1 year of SLU ball (not scholarship), not that that makes me an expert. I have just spent a lot of time watching IV at practice and in games since so many of you seem to think he is the 2nd coming or something and the more I watched him the more I saw a skilled player with no heart, speed or jumping ability. Hopefully he will be improved next year but I wish he had stayed here and worked with the coaching and conditioning staffs instead of going home.

As a Bills fan I hope for big improvement in IV next year since he will have to get the majority of the minutes in the 5 spot.

I could see Liddell or Obi, leading the team in rebounding. Liddell is so active and I'm sure Obi is a better athlete than Ian. No one puts up big rebound numbers without being a good athlete, they can put up solid rebound numbers like Voyoukas did done the stretch last season.

>Free throw attempts

>Frew throws made

>Assists

>Rebounds

>3 PT percentage

>I think there's a little too much hype on Liddell. I wish

>we would tame our expectations of him, but I see him leading

>the team in scoring and shooting less than 40%.

News flash, Liddell has never shot less than 45% in any season as a high schooler. The 45% happened during his sophmore year when he shot 45.4%. The following 2 years would see him shoot 51% and 52.1%. So where is this under 40% crap coming from. As far as lowering expectations, I would be on the side of raising them after his performance against the so-called National All-stars guards. Can anyone argue against that Liddell was not only the best player on the court at DJ's event, but he was heads and shoulders above any guard on the floor. 40%, you must be under the impression that Liddell's point came off dunks and put backs only.

>I could see Liddell or Obi, leading the team in rebounding.

>Liddell is so active and I'm sure Obi is a better athlete

>than Ian.

I would hope Tommie is not the team's leading rebounder. He led his high school in rebounding every year as a starter. This imo held down his scoring as he was not getting out on the break for easy opportunities, but surrounded by multiple defenders under the basket.

After watching his improved offensive aggression and his improved strength and size, I think Tommie should score around 17-18ppg,4apg,5rpg, and 1bpg.

Liddell was never leaking out on the fastbreak in high school any way because he was the pg. Why would he leak out on the fastbreak with athletes like Darian Luster, Demario Smith, and Mark Howlett. People think because he's a great athlete that he wants to run the wing, but thats not how he plays. He can play that way, but is better suited to run the offense get his teammates involved and take the scoring opportunities when they present themselves. One of the most unselfish big guards I've seen in the country. Speaking of big pg's, is SLU interest in 6'4 pg Spencer Stewart. He will be a teammate of Dustin Maguire this winter. He avg 9pts, 8 rebs, 9asts this past season.

>Liddell was never leaking out on the fastbreak in high

>school any way because he was the pg.

My point exactly. He wasn't leaking out because he was too busy leading the team in rebounding. Who was East Side best open court player, unquestionably Tommie Liddell? This part of his game was wasted for the better part of 3 years.

Why would he leak out on the fastbreak with athletes like Darian Luster, Demario Smith, and Mark Howlett.

Take Howlett out as an athlete. He was very limited in that regard and if you took away his spot-up shooting, you took Howlett out the game. These great athletes you speak of should have been 1 & 2 in rebounding, yet they finished behind Liddell. If they were controlling the boards as they should have Liddell could have leaked out for easy baskets. The goal of basketball is to outscore the opposition. East Side was always in a dogfight because they didn't get anything easy, despite having superior athletes.

People think because he's a great athlete that he wants to run the wing, but thats not how he plays.

Obviously you did not see the game vs O'Fallon when he scored over 20 points with 5 dunks. He got those dunks by running the wing and finishing the break. He followed that up with another multiple dunk game vs Alton. It was no coincidence that Dennis Brooks missed those games with an ailment.

He can play that way, but is better suited to

run the offense get his teammates involved and take the

scoring opportunities when they present themselves.

Tommie is skilled enough to play an uptempo game or a half-court game. Anyone who has seen him play already knows this to be true.

"Tommie is skilled enough to play an uptempo game or a half-court game. Anyone who has seen him play already knows this to be true."

Strongly agree. I don't have any doubt that Tommie, Dwayne and Kevin could run a lot of teams into the ground. I just don't think we have the rebounding in the frontcourt to allow them to do so. So we're back to having to make open 17-20 ft jumpers once the guards beat their man off the dribble and kick it out, which makes me nervous. I'd prefer that Tommie take it all the way to the basket and either finish or draw the foul if he gets a step on his defender.

But it's a lot harder to finish against 6'9 240 lb men than it is 18 year old boys. Being 6'6 will definitely help his cause.