DJ All-Star Game notes/observations

The fact is that before he went to prep school Tommie was not as good

as Larry was coming in from his senior year.

I can't give a fair comment as to who was better because I didn't see as much of Hughes, however I will say Tommie had as much talent as any local player in the last 25 years as a senior in high school. He was somewhat handicapped by an inexperience head coach, who really didn't get all the talent out of Tommie.

It appears that the additional year has provided Tommie to get bigger and stronger and improve his game. That was the point I was trying to make.

I have always said that Hargrave Military Academy was a godsend. It allowed him to develop mentally, physically, and most importantly academically. It was really tough hearing all the naysayers belittle Tommie for his academic shortcomings. I knew he was a much better student than he showed at East Side. Put in an environment where the scales were balanced I knew he would excel, this was borne out with a gpa above 3.0 and a SAT score above 900. Hargrave corrected 4 years of bad schooling in a 1 year span. The improvement in his game were negligible at best. If the game had been closer, I think Tommie's staline would have read around 23 points, 13 assists, and 8 rebounds. When the St Louis All-Stars fell behind, it forced Tommie to score more points.

Thanks Nate and I agree with Nark...as an out of town fan I cannot follow the local teams and this is about the only website that I can get good information on the good HS players. Hopefully, you can get the folks at the P-D to buy in to the idea.

I remember somebody coming in that game late and scoring. He was shooting all jumpers and look pretty light-skinned, so I never thought that was Tommie. That was Polk's freshman year too. I must admit, I really wasnt paying that much attention, but I did notice a reserve who wasnt bashful once he was the game was out of hand. For some reason they had his name spell wrong that year on the roster. And was he really only 6'5 that year. Devon Moss was the star of that team if I remember it right. He's making his collegiate debut this fall as a starting forward for