SLU Men's Basketball 2005-2006 Starting lineup.

VTIME

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

problack, if you truly followed billiken basketball, you would know based on the fact that the likes of diener, varner and drejaj have been soderberg starters in the past few years, it really doesnt matter who the best players might be when the first starting lineup comes out. no sense even trying to predict until about november and we know how practices have been going and who has been putting out the most effort.

but for what it is worth i agree with your guards you want to put on the floor and how. however, it wouldnt surprise me to see drejaj, meyer and brown out there just as well. especially meyer and drejaj since they both are heady players that play hard nonstop.

i would add to probable list vouyoukas. he has to play. no matter how much he frustrates me with his underachieving, there is no denying his skills and what he will add to the team. he has to play and play a lot.

the pf is the open position. that spot could be filled in a number of ways imo. that is where the drama of preseason will be a show imo.

Doesn't matter who starts ...... what matters is who finishes. And what that result is. Y'know, for a guy who "knows" alot, you sure ask alot of questions .....

In my opinion, it'll be...

C Voyoukas

PF Newborne

3G Liddell

SG Lisch

PG Polk

Voyoukas will obviously be the starting center next year. I would think Newborne will be the stating power forward since he has more experience than Obi and more determination than JJ. Obi might de-thrown him later in the year though. Liddell should probably be the 3 guard because of his height. Lisch, the shooting guard due to his scorer's mentality. I would put Polk at the point guard spot since he's the quickest guy on the team and controlled the reins all of last year. Although I could see Brad letting Liddell, Polk, and Lisch all bring up the ball during the games.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Polk is not a pg. Last year was the first time he played pg since elementary school. He was always an off-guard at Vashon. He's a scorer. Liddell is a true pg. Lisch is also a scorer with some handle. Polk is most effective off the ball and Liddell is most effective handling the ball. On defense, Liddell will guard the opposing sf, Lisch the opposing sg and Polk, the opposing pg.

Roy it is possible that you can use the name of Vouyoukas without using terms such as underachieving. A lot of us would disagree with your opinion of him/ I know he was with Jason Edwin when they ran over your dog but give the kid a chance.

Yeah, I figured you'd disagree with me about Polk being the pg and that's fine. Personally, I don't have who the pg is as long as we win games and make it back to the big dance!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

>Roy it is possible that you can use the name of Vouyoukas

>without using terms such as underachieving. A lot of us

>would disagree with your opinion of him/ I know he was with

>Jason Edwin when they ran over your dog but give the kid a

>chance.

LOL! Funniest post of the year!

He really wasnt as disappoint as people make him out to be. 7 pts and 5 boards for a big man, who wasnt a projected starter is more than we could've expected from him. Frericks was supposed to man the middle and Voyoukas played admirably for someone thrust into action.

Considering IV averaged over 10 points a game once he was named starter I'm not sure why anyone would think he underachieved. I get the feeling that Roy believes that just because he is big he should be able to dominate. Well he is also very young and his body and coordination hasn't caught up with him yet. However, nobody has made more progress on our team the past two years and I expect to see more of the same the next two. I only wish we had more Ians.

5 Ian

4 Vas'Shun or JJ

3 Tommie

2 Kevin

1 Polk

That's the way I'd like to see it. I know 1-3 can interchange, we've covered that. Let's not forget about Danny Brown. He's listed @ 6'4" and has the tools. I just hope he's not too overshadowed. Obviously, Luke will play a major role with numerous starts. AD deserves some quality pt. When Ian is catching his breath, Bruce needs to be in there.

McKinney played pg as a senior so he would be ready to play pg at Mizzou and Jackson played it a lot that year as well because he was supposed to be the starting pg, when McKinney graduated. Polk was never the pg. Polk was always off the ball.

You need Tommie at pg for the offense to run correctly. He has outstanding court vision and will create for Polk and Lisch. Liddell is at his best at pg. The other two are best off the ball. You NEED Liddell at pg. Teams are going to have trouble with this trio of lefties. Anybody ever seen a team that had 3 left handed guards that all started?

Polk was hurt a lot his junior year. He only played 16 games and only avg 0.94 assists per game. When Polk was healthy Donny Jackson played pg. When Polk wasnt healthy, the young freshman James Washington played the pg. Bobby Hill also got a couple starts at the pg that year. With Donny Jackson only one year ahead of Polk, Irons had no intentions of every using Polk at pg. Even as a senior Polk didnt play pg, even though he had a tad bit higher assist average than Washington. That happened one other time, in 2000 when Joel Shelton had a higher assist average than starting pg Jesse Akins, http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball.../Defense277.htm but when you run and gun, that happens sometimes. But everyone knew Akins was the pg and the year before and after that Akins lead the team in assists.

Considering Ian had one year of american style ball under his belt and he was only 19 or 20 last year I would say he overachieved if anything. He will never be a defensive stalwart in the middle but only the top tier of post players in the country can guard him one on one. He will be double and sometimes triple teamed exclusively in the A-10. This may hurt his numbers but it will give his teamates tons of open shots. He is a big plus for the Billikens.

Jackson and McKinney played pg during McKinney's senior season. Irons let McKinney play pg, because that was the position he was going to be playing at Mizzou. Jackson played pg whenever McKinney was in the game and when they were running the backdoor lob for McKinney. They announcers even talked about it during the title game. It was the same lineup as Polk's freshman year, they just put Jackson in Akins place and put Aarons in Gordon's place. Polk started at sg all four years. I'm one of the biggest Vashon followers, I've followed Polk from the time he beat out Arnold Britt, 4 year player and a senior Polk's freshman year until the time he became All-Metro player of the year. He never played pg. A couple times Polk didnt start at all that year and they started the defensive stopper Darren Boone, like when they played Lebron James' St. Vincent St. Mary team during Polk's sophomore year. He started at sg all four year and was the last four-year varsity Vashon player to graduate. There wasnt one in 2005, but there will be 2 in 2006. I follow Vashon religiously and Polk was never the pg.

As a sophmore Polk was rated as the 9th best pg in the country. Why would you want an outlet going to Liddell and Polk filling the lane. You want the ball in Polk's hands and Liddell filling the lane. In a half court set, it is going to be irrelevent, they will all distribute.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Because if you give the outlet to Liddell he's big and athletic enough to make any pass on the fastbreak or finish it himself, plus Polk is faster Liddell and you want a streaker filling the lane. Polk is a score first guard and Liddell is a pass first guard. In a halfcourt setting you want Liddell running pg, because he wont have trouble seeing over the defense and can post up any pg in the land or simply shoot right over them. He can take any small forward of the dribble. That comes from years of dribbling around smaller, but quicker guards. Polk never played pg at Vashon and as a sophomore he was ranked the 9th best pg, not because he was a pg, but because they projected him as a pg, because he was only 5'7 at the time. At most colleges he would have to play, but SLU has the advantage of having a 6'5 pg. This reminds me of what Philadelphia did for years with the 6'5 Eric Snow at pg and 6'0 Allen Iverson at sg. Ofcourse Liddell has way more potential than Eric Snow.