Any women's coach rumors?

providing the guy can bring felicia chester with him, i would seriously consider the incarnate word coach.

i was in st. louis a few weeks ago and stayed with a friend and we walked by incarnate word on one of our strolls. roy, i believe in one of your posts that you mentioned that the junior at incarnate is a better player than her teammate that's going to iowa state.

my friend pointed out that the golf club across the street from incarnate is the oldest golf club west of the mississippi and it might be turned into a housing development.

I grew up on that street and my parents still live there...they are extremely disappointed that Normandie Golf Course is going to get bought out.

http://www.savenormandiegolfcourse.com/

My mom played for IWA back in the day when there were 6 players on the court per team and 3 players had to stay on each side of the court.

Sorry I don' t have any woman's coaching rumors.

If people are suggesting they hire a current high school coach because of a current player on their roster is good, is absolutely ridiculous. If the player is that good than a ton of interest from other big time schools will be coming after her.

Slu needs a coach who was an assistant at a high profile college looking for their first head coaching position.

The school lost money firing Pizzotti because she still had time on her contract and they had to pay for that time. Once again they will have to get this done on the cheap.

eskimo, thanks for the website on the golf course.

since your mom played 6 on 6 you'll be interested to know that the junior college in the town where i live here in iowa just put on the musical called 6 on 6. it's all about how a potential lawsuit to bring 5 player girls basketball to iowa and how the switch came about.

it was outstanding. iowa and oklahoma were the last two states to give up the game with iowa being the last. i believe that was in 1994.

there was about an 8 or 10 year period where iowa had crowned a 5 and 6 player championship.

i wonder how many of our posters have ever seen the 6player game played?

i'm 47 and growing up here in iowa only the small schools had basketball . i grew up in a city of about 30,000 and we didn't have girls basketball in high school until my junior year which was the 73-74 year. athe first year they wouldn't let the the girls who were seniors go out. i believe they felt they would be gome after the one year and then they would be back to square one.

generally the big schools were the first to change over to 5 player but interesting is the number of girls out for high school basketball here in iowa is down, i believe over half what it used to be during the 6 player days. i'm sure there is a number of factors for that but a big belief is that alot girls didn't want to play 5 player.

My wife started on her 6 on 6 high school team which won a state championship in Louisiana, way back. I didn't know her at the time, so I didn't see her play.

I remember going to the girls games here in St. Louis. What I remember more than the basketball was the noise made by all those girls in the gyms - deafening

dan rolfes is also a very good coach. he knows the game and has consistently won games and competed at the highest level of girls high school basketball. he obviously knows the st louis scene and is respected by the other coaches. it isnt just because of felicia chester i would want rolfes to be considered.

good start with your opening appearance here. i am sure everyone will just love your fantastic attitude that you consistently exhibit at stltoday.com.

Rolfe's wpuld be a very good coach but only one problem. WHy is he being fired by IWA after such a great season. He screwd himself. The story goes is that he had an affair with another teacher at the school and his wife cofronted him in front of his class and he admitted it. So, the reason IWA is pushing for Rolfes to get the job is to make it sound like he left on his own terms and not make a big deal out of it.

I do not think you want him as your next head coach. But what I do know is Cheryl is considering the two assistants that were on Jills staff as canidated for the coaching position.

if your story is true, i agree i dont want him as the coach either.

as to the assistants, i find it hard to believe that we would hire the assistants of a coach that wasnt considered "getting it done".

that said, i admittedly dont know much about any of the current assistants of the billikens.

BRoy, Thank you for the warm greeting to the site. I actually know Dan very well from his days as an assistant at SLU but he has little to no chance because they will hire a woman if Lori Flanagan has any say in it. Even though Dan might be a good hire if they intend to be just ok, but if SLU is really dedicated to winning they will go with an assistant from a BIG TIME program. It would be shocking if they hired a male for a head coach at a high profile women's sport.

6 on 6 is such a better game for girls in HS.

the girls that can really shoot and handle the ball can focus on that - and the girls that are decent athletes and hard workers can focus on defending.

the floor opens up nicely and it really is a unique game to watch. much more enjoyable IMO than girls 5 on 5 - which you always compare to the boys where the game just can't match up.

Dear Newberry,

I am new to this board but not to high school basketball. I do not dispute your comment about Dan Rolfes but when did this happen. He coached IWA at Mizzou and that was just a few weeks ago as well as IWA is on spring break. Is this a true statement or just something heard. If it's true, he is done in St. Louis and I cannot believe SLU would ever consider him. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

nope

in fact - no wife - but there are always candidates in the mix...

i grew up in western illinois - and the iowa girls HS tourney was always broadcast and our family always watched it - my mom played 6 on 6 quite some time ago - so she was a big fan of it.

i would venture to guess that any who have watched girls at the HS level play both games will quickly come to the conclusion that the 6 on 6 game is just a better fit and more fun to watch.

was sad day IMO when iowa got rid of it.

Has any time frame for the hire been mentioned?I remember when w hired Romar they wanted to announce it during the Final Four(Championship day was when the word came down)

These are just that, rumors. That it would get posted here is lame.. whoever posted it has an ax to grind. Rolfes is alive and well and so is his wife.

As far as getting hired because he can bring in one player, thats ridiculous too.

The senior going to Iowa St is your prototypical power player, fast strong, runs well, good hands. BR has just never thought very highly of her. Certainly entitled to his opinion. The junior is really a nice player as well. Completely different style and position, though.

Its just unfortunate in general that the top tier local girls aren't being attracted to SLU or Mizzou. Maybe Rolfes or someone like him can turn that around.

So do I! MAybe I am wrong, I hope but that is what I was told by my daughter and another teacher. I hope it is not believe me if he doesn't get the SLU job I doubt it is going to be because of poster on a message board. Hell, there have been things said about my daughter on here that I know that are not true but people say them anyway.

If you are WRONG. What kind of ridiculuous statement is that. You attack someone's morals, say he was fired and that's OK. Man, you got issues if you accuse a guy on this type forum of what you said and now you are backing off. Better hope Dan does not read your post. Pretty sad

Newberry is an idiot, but most people on message boards are, even I am one! Do you guys ever think that he just posts a false info to see how long a thread can go? Even though he has been right a couple of times, one would think he is getting a laugh out of this thread since it is not true. I have heard that Rolfes might leave IWA for a public school to make more money but nothing else