Karraker On Ford

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford will be highly successful here for the next 4-5 years, and then he'll leave for a big name program. He'll definitely deserve that, but frankly, SLU doesn't deserve him. And to be honest, I don't think we could keep him here even if we tried because SLU systemically (from the BoT to Pestello to Chris May) doesn't really have a strong commitment to maintaining a winning program. 

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Ford will be highly successful here for the next 4-5 years, and then he'll leave for a big name program. He'll definitely deserve that, but frankly, SLU doesn't deserve him. And to be honest, I don't think we could keep him here even if we tried because SLU systemically (from the BoT to Pestello to Chris May) doesn't really have a strong commitment to maintaining a winning program. 

Disagree.  Ford has the opportunity to dominate this league by recruiting highly sought after players.  If Ford can get 1 or 2 A10 conference titles under his belt in the next 3 or so years, I see the opportunity and the appeal for him to stay here longer term and bring SLU basketball to Villanova/Xavier/Gonzaga status.  Remember, 4 or 5 of the current Top 25 teams (Xavier, Wichita State, Villanova, Oklahoma, etc.) are teams that we regularly, or at least occasionally, could knock out during the Majerus era when were a Top 10 program ourselves.

I truly believe that Coach is genuinely interested in building this into a destination program for top local and Midwest players. We have the facilities to make it happen, and from what I can tell he has a great relationship with Doc Chaifetz - that’s half the battle.  Remember, Chaifetz calls the shots when it comes to hiring/contract renewal time...!

billikenfan05 and Zink like this

2 minutes ago, TheOne said:

Disagree.  Ford has the opportunity to dominate this league by recruiting highly sought after players.  If Ford can get 1 or 2 A10 conference titles under his belt in the next 3 or so years, I see the opportunity and the appeal for him to stay here longer term and bring SLU basketball to Villanova/Xavier/Gonzaga status.  Remember, 4 or 5 of the current Top 25 teams (Xavier, Wichita State, Villanova, Oklahoma, etc.) are teams that we regularly, or at least occasionally, could knock out during the Majerus era when were a Top 10 program ourselves.

I truly believe that Coach is genuinely interested in building this into a destination program for top local and Midwest players. We have the facilities to make it happen, and from what I can tell he has a great relationship with Doc Chaifetz - that’s half the battle.  Remember, Chaifetz calls the shots when it comes to hiring/contract renewal time...!

Good post. If May leaves here before Pestello our only hope to keep Pestello from castrating our athletic department is Chaifetz. 

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Good post. If May leaves here before Pestello our only hope to keep Pestello from castrating our athletic department is Chaifetz. 

I have a feeling Freddy is on borrowed time.  Once donations hit the crapper, and they will, he’s going to have a little bit of karma coming his way.  He can only skate by on Biondi’s fundraising for so long.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

With Goodwin showing his commitment I don’t see ford bolting, this next season could be real special 

I agree. And once Ford brings the program back into the top 25, he's going to want an even stronger commitment from the school. And based on history (not just this last situation), the school won't support the program enough. 

Just now, slufan13 said:

I agree. And once Ford brings the program back into the top 25, he's going to want an even stronger commitment from the school. And based on history (not just this last situation), the school won't support the program enough. 

But Chaifetz will.  He’s the key.

TheOne likes this

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

With Goodwin showing his commitment I don’t see ford bolting, this next season could be real special 

I don't want to jump too far ahead because next years team will be awesome but I'm already drooling over Goodwins Junior and Senior years. 

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ya, have to think both Goodwin and Ford have had a talk about both being there next year. 

19 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

S2 just may end up costing those people their jobs here at SLU. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

S2 just may end up costing those people their jobs here at SLU. 

If it doesn't cost them their jobs, then S3 cannot be too far away.  I do not say that to be negative, but I think we should have our eyes opened pretty widely to how things work currently (both the landscape , the processes, and the entrenched personnel).

4 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

If it doesn't cost them their jobs, then S3 cannot be too far away.  I do not say that to be negative, but I think we should have our eyes opened pretty widely to how things work currently (both the landscape , the processes, and the entrenched personnel).

It doesn’t have to be a basketball player. Technically this is S3. Poor overnight bag guy. 

2 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Though I really don't want to prop up the subject, I do wonder if the apparent reversal of decision on sanctions for Goodwin might make the hearing officer feel undermined such that she would resign — at least from those particular duties.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Had an idea for the student section to recognize the players effort. I’d love to see Chaifetz give the players a standing ovation while the clock runs during the last minute of the season. Had nothing to do with the thread 

Oh. I was hoping we joined the Big East 

Even though I believe Ford could be successful right now at a larger program, it will take several years of success for another schools athletic director to have that conviction. He was fired from a Big 12 school less than 2 years ago. He will have likely zero ncaa/nit tourneys since then. He has dealt with off the court issues. Unless Travis simply decides SLU is not the place for him, he will be around for a while longer.