No comment from AD

Billy Ken

5 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Who is in charge then??? The students, the cleaning lady, or the usher in my section down there? You being CEO of wherever isn't the same thing as Chris May as AD who is actually in the business and stuck at SLU. So if nobody else wants him, we should? Ok. Think of it this way...if you see children throwing a temper tantrum or disrespecting authority, do you blame the kids or the parents for not parenting? The kids are the result of failed parenting. If the leader of the department is silly enough to not hammer away as much as possible about sexual assault, social media, don't put yourself in bad situations, etc, year after year...after S1 then I don't know what else to say. We can just disagree and wait around for S3. 

Look I have no idea what type of warnings they give. I know they have the conversation. To blame May for what 18 year olds do on a Saturday night is a reach. Whatever I did that night was on me not my father or mother. Your expectations of him are unrealistic. 

NextYearBill and SShoe like this

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Look I have no idea what type of warnings they give. I know they have the conversation. To blame May for what 18 year olds do on a Saturday night is a reach. Whatever I did that night was on me not my father or mother. Your expectations of him are unrealistic. 

You might be right, it's not Chris May's fault at all. It's Pestello who keeps him in charge of athletics. Chris May is the result of Father wanting a yes man puppet and Pestello having no clue. The perfect storm to stay around 10 years and never be held accountable. Again, amazing how May is never held at fault for anything. Jim Crews, S1, S2, Big East, Soccer program, facilities, fundraising, etc. I could keep going. This is my last post, I'm not changing your minds and you definitely are not changing mine. And that's ok. Have a good night. Thanks 

42 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Since I'm almost positive none of us attended the supposed orgy, and since no one that was present or SLU are talking yet not sure how we are going to find out exactly what happened that fateful night. Sure has been a lot of conjecture with no real factual information from those present.

you should avoid any threads hovering around 350 pages  

VeniceMenace and SluSignGuy like this

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

No. I do not blame Chris May at all for the players actions. I'm saying I believe the department is systemically dysfunctional and from what I've heard from people that are connected is that the basic programming and education about sexual assault was totally lacking over the time between S1 and S2. That is 100% on AD. Who would want to put themselves, students or program in that situation ever again? He was asleep at the wheel. That's poor management and not smart. The actions of the players are a result of not being educated and led. They are kids. Chris May should be the adult. To say he has no ownership and is the AD is unacceptable, first time he got a pass, second time, he needs to go. Do we wait until S3 to maybe do something? That's what he signed up for and gets paid for, not be a helpless victim in all of this.

Your “insiders” are misinformed. The ADept is constantly teaching and mentoring the student athletes to develop as adults. You are aware that SLU dominates every conference they’re in on academic performance. 

The day of  S2 the players were reminded twice not to get off track. You may like or dislike CM, but his commitment to the kids is top notch. 

9 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

What??? Does Chris May just hand out towels and do the laundry down there or is he not suppose to be the leader of the department? Resources have nothing to do with educating and setting standards of conduct within any department. Has Dayton or VCU had two high profile sexual assaults within years of one another, under same AD? Not too many places have. All I'm saying is when people that know what's really going on within department say they don't do hardly enough to educate/scare the students into making good responsible decisions that is 100% on AD. I get they are kids, but the lack of accountability is alarming. I'm not implying the players did anything illegal, they were stupid, they are kids. What happened to them is/was terrible and not deserved. Chris May is their leader. If Chris May was CEO of Purina or AB or Express Scripts or Joe's Auto Shop USA and two high profile sexual assault situations arised under his watch there wouldn't be a third, I'll promise you that. It's called being accountable, it usually starts at the top with the leader. Fair or unfair they don't get out of jail cards in real world. Like I said earlier, let's wait until S3 then think about replacing AD....you may love the guy and he could be nicest man since Jesus, but being stupid isn't a very good defense. That's my point, doesn't matter if I like him or not, he's accountable and shouldn't get a free pass.

pesty is the ceo.   may is one of his underlings.

11 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Okay, but Biondi has been gone for several years now.  What is the current administration doing to position SLU for a move to the Big East?

Right now all they can do is build a strong long running program. They screwed up with hiring Crews and I said that at the time. This situation hasn’t helped but sometimes circumstances dictate how you get boxed in. May had no control over this   Freddy had a chance to provide some deft touch but did not - that was not Mays doing. Right now the BE is not expanding so wishing does not make it so.

9 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

Your “insiders” are misinformed. The ADept is constantly teaching and mentoring the student athletes to develop as adults. You are aware that SLU dominates every conference they’re in on academic performance. 

The day of  S2 the players were reminded twice not to get off track. You may like or dislike CM, but his commitment to the kids is top notch. 

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Maybe you have a great relationship with May. That's fine. My "insiders" paint a totally different picture within that department of what happens on a day to day basis. It's window dressing. After talking to people that work there, I'm convinced the truth will eventually wash out. I hope I'm wrong, for kids sake and university's. But my gut says I'm right. Also....I'm so tired of hearing about academic performance, that's the go to when your on field performance is poor. Good grades should be the standard at a minimum. If I wanted to root for GPA, there is a much better option west, just on the other side of Forest Park in town. That's their job, to get good grades, not a gold star, give us a hug moment.

25 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Maybe you have a great relationship with May. That's fine. My "insiders" paint a totally different picture within that department of what happens on a day to day basis. It's window dressing. After talking to people that work there, I'm convinced the truth will eventually wash out. I hope I'm wrong, for kids sake and university's. But my gut says I'm right. Also....I'm so tired of hearing about academic performance, that's the go to when your on field performance is poor. Good grades should be the standard at a minimum. If I wanted to root for GPA, there is a much better option west, just on the other side of Forest Park in town. That's their job, to get good grades, not a gold star, give us a hug moment.

-you may have just hit the nail on the head

12 hours ago, willie said:

Spoon I have been around this program for 50 years. Chris is one of the best if not the best AD’s we’ve had. Look we’re not some football school with 50 million dollar budgets. Chris has elevated the non revenue sports, made good hires(Ford),raised money and has been out in the public. The only AD’s I would consider as possibly better would be Larry Albus and Debbie Yow. Larry because he was a pioneer who invented the basketball doubleheader,and Debbie who challenged Biondi to bring the program out of the dark ages. If you think May is bad you should have been here for Joe Yates and Jim Bakken. 

Lets be honest. Chaifetz hired Ford.  See: http://insidestl.com/cusumanos-opening-monologue-slu-booster-chaifetz-has-significant-role-in-fords-hiring/1958171

Billy Ken likes this

13 hours ago, willie said:

I agree he should not be responsible for the actions that took place that night, but I do hold him accountable for the rest of the failures of the Athletic Department. I know @billiken_roy will tell me it's on Pestello/BOT (that's just an acknowledgment - not snark, Roy), but May is not someone I would consider a strong leader, or someone that is able to take SLU to the next level. He hasn't shown me he has the ability to excel. He's kind of just....there. 

Billy Ken and billikenfan05 like this

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I agree he should not be responsible for the actions that took place that night, but I do hold him accountable for the rest of the failures of the Athletic Department. I know @billiken_roy will tell me it's on Pestello/BOT (that's just an acknowledgment - not snark, Roy), but May is not someone I would consider a strong leader, or someone that is able to take SLU to the next level. He hasn't shown me he has the ability to excel. He's kind of just....there. 

Basically, he is nothing but a position holder.

Billy Ken likes this

I want to know who or whom donated the majority share of the locker room money? I'd love to thank them in person at a game before the end of the season. That whole story is fishy to say the least. The lack of acknowledgement of a major donor or donors is suspicious. I'll leave it at that. Especially after not building anything of significance in ten years. I've been told AD reads these boards religiously. I hope that is true because he knows the real situation and what's true and what isn't. We just speculate, myself included. But, this is a pass/fail, report card business and I'd give May a D+ after 10 years. MBB, sure future looks great, Chaifetz hired Ford. Wbb is a bust, if you want to hang your hat on NIT after all resources given to that program, I got nothing to say. Soccer is irrelevant and we have to pray the 8/9th choice coach is the savior. For record he is a great hire, thank you Jim Kavanaugh. Just look at the report card. Oh and you can even take away S1 and S2...it's still bad. Move on get fresh leadership and more forward thinking AD and staff to help Travis Ford move program forward. Not the stuffed suit that's had ten years to figure it out and hasn't. Let him go to a D3 and high five students with good grades and pour lemonade and eat cookies all day, just get him out of SLU. Please.

10 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I want to know who or whom donated the majority share of the locker room money? I'd love to thank them in person at a game before the end of the season. That whole story is fishy to say the least. The lack of acknowledgement of a major donor or donors is suspicious. I'll leave it at that. Especially after not building anything of significance in ten years. I've been told AD reads these boards religiously. I hope that is true because he knows the real situation and what's true and what isn't. We just speculate, myself included. But, this is a pass/fail, report card business and I'd give May a D+ after 10 years. MBB, sure future looks great, Chaifetz hired Ford. Wbb is a bust, if you want to hang your hat on NIT after all resources given to that program, I got nothing to say. Soccer is irrelevant and we have to pray the 8/9th choice coach is the savior. For record he is a great hire, thank you Jim Kavanaugh. Just look at the report card. Oh and you can even take away S1 and S2...it's still bad. Move on get fresh leadership and more forward thinking AD and staff to help Travis Ford move program forward. Not the stuffed suit that's had ten years to figure it out and hasn't. Let him go to a D3 and high five students with good grades and pour lemonade and eat cookies all day, just get him out of SLU. Please.

I’m with you man I really am, but I think you can make your point while not calling women’s basketball a bust, we weren’t even COMPETING before Lisa was hired. I’ll lend you my copy of Gray Seasons on DVD to remind you at how disfunctuonal Shimmy’s tenure was. May wouldn’t have found Lisa if not for Majerus. I think Lisa and the women should be expected to do better but I don’t think you can say her tenure here is a bust. Now if you wanna say that we’re in a women’s basketball conference and that it isn’t giving Lisa the opportunity to succeed then yeah I’m there. That’s on May.

BourbanStreet likes this

13 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

All of this is spot on. If it SLU were even remotely similar to Gonzaga/Xavier/Creighton in terms of how athletics are run, May would have been out after 3-4 years.

But this is Saint Louis University, so we give him a 5 year extension right after the program was obliterated by the Crews squad. May was a "yes man" hired by Biondi, and it's like you said, the perfect shite storm has allowed him to remain here for over 10 years. 

I know several people who worked in the AD as tutors and apparently it's complete dysfunction. No exaggeration. People would go to "lunch meetings" for 2-3 hours to avoid working. They hired a bunch of former jocks who really don't know how to keep a full scale D-1 athletic department operating at optimal capacity. Janet is probably the only one who knows what she's doing in the department, she should have had Chris May's job 6 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m with you man I really am, but I think you can make your point while not calling women’s basketball a bust, we weren’t even COMPETING before Lisa was hired. I’ll lend you my copy of Gray Seasons on DVD to remind you at how disfunctuonal Shimmy’s tenure was. May wouldn’t have found Lisa if not for Majerus. I think Lisa and the women should be expected to do better but I don’t think you can say her tenure here is a bust. Now if you wanna say that we’re in a women’s basketball conference and that it isn’t giving Lisa the opportunity to succeed then yeah I’m there. 

You might be right, a bust could be too extreme. Lisa Stone has made the program better hands down. I'll apologize and own it. The way the department has built that program up, inflated expectations is probably what I am frustrated with. I forgot about the Majerus connection and I believe that is 100% accurate. Does prove my point, if he's not able to make hires without help of Chaifetz, Majerus, WWT guys, what does he do and why do we accept it? I never thought of it that way before and it just got me. Thanks in all seriousness.

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I know at least 8 people who gave money for the locker room. How much each gave I don’t know. At some point there is supposed to be an acknowledgment board. It was done with private money.