No comment from AD

Billy Ken

Chris May was actually on hand and available yesterday from what I understand.

“Goodwin, whose father said he was cleared of sexual assault in the case, will be eligible to re-enroll and return to basketball activities after the completion of the spring semester in mid-May, according to athletics director Chris May.”

My understanding was that Goodwin's family had hired a lawyer to look into further legal action. The statement above appears to indicate that the Goodwin family reached an acceptable settlement with the University.

Does anyone knows what happened with Bishop? Stu had a twitter post shown in the board yesterday saying Bishop was not enrolled in the University any longer. Anyone knows what actually happened?

On 2/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, Spoon-Balls said:

Chris May is just a lackluster AD. SLU could (and should) do so much better, but they won't because it's convenient keeping someone like him around.

How does he keep getting a free pass? This is the third, the third major sexual assault fiasco he's been around, one at Colorado and now 2 at SLU. Is that just bad luck or a pattern? He's the leader and the buck stops with him. Something is way off internally at SLU. Also, not getting into the Big East makes recovering even harder for a program like SLU's in the long run after another black eye like S2. Not getting into the Big East should of been the death nail for this guy or any other AD, not at SLU though. I'm sorry and I'm sure people will defend him and think I'm crazy. I totally respect your opinions. I just disagree. Him and his assistants need to go. University can do better than current management. He was a lap dog for Father B and now he's one for Pestello. Go get a someone smart, fresh and hungry to make SLU as good as it can be. Thank god we still have Coach Ford, imagine if we had an AD to complement him with? Sorry for the rant just frustrated over whole situation. I think a change in general is warranted at this point, just for the sake of change. It's stale.

25 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

How does he keep getting a free pass? This is the third, the third major sexual assault fiasco he's been around, one at Colorado and now 2 at SLU. Is that just bad luck or a pattern? He's the leader and the buck stops with him. Something is way off internally at SLU. Also, not getting into the Big East makes recovering even harder for a program like SLU's in the long run after another black eye like S2. Not getting into the Big East should of been the death nail for this guy or any other AD, not at SLU though. I'm sorry and I'm sure people will defend him and think I'm crazy. I totally respect your opinions. I just disagree. Him and his assistants need to go. University can do better than current management. He was a lap dog for Father B and now he's one for Pestello. Go get a someone smart, fresh and hungry to make SLU as good as it can be. Thank god we still have Coach Ford, imagine if we had an AD to complement him with? Sorry for the rant just frustrated over whole situation. I think a change in general is warranted at this point, just for the sake of change. It's stale.

Not much to disagree with. The two situations alone are more than  enough reason to make a change. Why didn’t Ortiz call him out? He might’ve had a leg to stand on. Moron 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, Spoon-Balls said:

Chris May is just a lackluster AD. SLU could (and should) do so much better, but they won't because it's convenient keeping someone like him around.

Spoon I have been around this program for 50 years. Chris is one of the best if not the best AD’s we’ve had. Look we’re not some football school with 50 million dollar budgets. Chris has elevated the non revenue sports, made good hires(Ford),raised money and has been out in the public. The only AD’s I would consider as possibly better would be Larry Albus and Debbie Yow. Larry because he was a pioneer who invented the basketball doubleheader,and Debbie who challenged Biondi to bring the program out of the dark ages. If you think May is bad you should have been here for Joe Yates and Jim Bakken. 

VeniceMenace likes this

40 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

My take on not getting into the Big East is that our record wasn’t good enough. The other is other Big East Presidents didn’t like Biondi. Who should we have gotten in over. If you say DePaul I say Chicago. We need to win so we can be there if they ever expand. 

7 minutes ago, willie said:

Spoon I have been around this program for 50 years. Chris is one of the best if not the best AD’s we’ve had. Look we’re not some football school with 50 million dollar budgets. Chris has elevated the non revenue sports, made good hires(Ford),raised money and has been out in the public. The only AD’s I would consider as possibly better would be Larry Albus and Debbie Yow. Larry because he was a pioneer who invented the basketball doubleheader,and Debbie who challenged Biondi to bring the program out of the dark ages. If you think May is bad you should have been here for Joe Yates and Jim Bakken. 

That’s funny! Totally forgot about Jim Bakken. Great kicker though!

1 minute ago, willie said:

My take on not getting into the Big East is that our record wasn’t good enough. The other is other Big East Presidents didn’t like Biondi. Who should we have gotten in over. If you say DePaul I say Chicago. We need to win so we can be there if they ever expand. 

Having talked to another Jesuit president of another university it is clear to me that virtually all of Biondi fellow Jesuit presidents could not stand the man. Now if we were X then they would have chocked us down.  Bottom line Biondi cost us the invite by holding us back all those years and being an all round jerk to his peers. This was not May fault   Even AB putting pressure on the network was not enough to overcome him

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Having talked to another Jesuit president of another university it is clear to me that virtually all of Biondi fellow Jesuit presidents could not stand the man. Now if we were X then they would have chocked us down.  Bottom line Biondi cost us the invite by holding us back all those years and being an all round jerk to his peers. This was not May fault   Even AB putting pressure on the network was not enough to overcome him

Okay, but Biondi has been gone for several years now.  What is the current administration doing to position SLU for a move to the Big East?

41 minutes ago, willie said:

Great post willie

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Okay, but Biondi has been gone for several years now.  What is the current administration doing to position SLU for a move to the Big East?

The only thing they can do is win. Why would the Big East want a bottom A 10 program. Win Babby Win. 

41 minutes ago, willie said:

I totally respect your insight and opinion, but any AD that was good did not stick around longer than they had too. Debbie Yow especially. I'm sure Chris May would take a power 5 job if offered, problem no one has offered. That's a red flag. Also, he didn't hire baseball coach or Majerus. I love Coach Ford, but let's be honest, no one was knocking down his door except SLU. Plus he wanted to come here and made it happen not May I've heard from some connected donors. You can only blame Biondi for so long until you need to look at his track record. It's not as good as you think it is. People are fooled because he's been at SLU so long, because no one else will hire him. No way planned to be at SLU as long as he has been. No way.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Great post willie

Roy, I always respect your posts and insight. I'm sure you've had a much better experience with Chris May over the years. My experience has not been as good and can't support him still being AD. Two sexual assault cases within 5 years gets 99% of ceo's and leaders in real world fired. He's in charge and should be held accountable. Forget that on top of all this he just isn't a very pleasent person, unless you have money or he deems you important. That's a phoney in my book. SLU can do much better IMHO. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Roy, I always respect your posts and insight. I'm sure you've had a much better experience with Chris May over the years. My experience has not been as good and can't support him still being AD. Two sexual assault cases within 5 years gets 99% of ceo's and leaders in real world fired. He's in charge and should be held accountable. Forget that on top of all this he just isn't a very pleasent person, unless you have money or he deems you important. That's a phoney in my book. SLU can do much better IMHO. 

So you are saying the players are responsible for S2 and may should have been able to prevent That?   Wow.

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So you are saying the players are responsible for S2 and may should have been able to prevent That?   Wow.

No. I do not blame Chris May at all for the players actions. I'm saying I believe the department is systemically dysfunctional and from what I've heard from people that are connected is that the basic programming and education about sexual assault was totally lacking over the time between S1 and S2. That is 100% on AD. Who would want to put themselves, students or program in that situation ever again? He was asleep at the wheel. That's poor management and not smart. The actions of the players are a result of not being educated and led. They are kids. Chris May should be the adult. To say he has no ownership and is the AD is unacceptable, first time he got a pass, second time, he needs to go. Do we wait until S3 to maybe do something? That's what he signed up for and gets paid for, not be a helpless victim in all of this.

TheBand likes this

Since I'm almost positive none of us attended the supposed orgy, and since no one that was present or SLU are talking yet not sure how we are going to find out exactly what happened that fateful night. Sure has been a lot of conjecture with no real factual information from those present.

15 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I totally respect your insight and opinion, but any AD that was good did not stick around longer than they had too. Debbie Yow especially. I'm sure Chris May would take a power 5 job if offered, problem no one has offered. That's a red flag. Also, he didn't hire baseball coach or Majerus. I love Coach Ford, but let's be honest, no one was knocking down his door except SLU. Plus he wanted to come here and made it happen not May I've heard from some connected donors. You can only blame Biondi for so long until you need to look at his track record. It's not as good as you think it is. People are fooled because he's been at SLU so long, because no one else will hire him. No way planned to be at SLU as long as he has been. No way.

Look I’m not trying to be a Chris May apologists even though I like him. I’m trying to give some historical prospective. We have had a lot of AD’s at SLU and May is one of the better ones. Would he like to go to a Power Confrense ,probably. Would I like to be CEO of JP Morgan,sure,why not. (Actually no but get my point) Chris May is not our problem. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

No. I do not blame Chris May at all for the players actions. I'm saying I believe the department is systemically dysfunctional and from what I've heard from people that are connected is that the basic programming and education about sexual assault was totally lacking over the time between S1 and S2. That is 100% on AD. Who would want to put themselves, students or program in that situation ever again? He was asleep at the wheel. That's poor management and not smart. The actions of the players are a result of not being educated and led. They are kids. Chris May should be the adult. To say he has no ownership and is the AD is unacceptable, first time he got a pass, second time, he needs to go. Do we wait until S3 to maybe do something? That's what he signed up for and gets paid for, not be a helpless victim in all of 

that is an incredible reach to hold any one responsible for S2 beyond the participants.   If you think watching some films attending a stormy lecture and reading a textbook would have prevented that night you seem to me to be one gullible person.  

As Willie said above we don't exactly have the budget of a P5 state school and we've seen what kind of administrative support the Athletic Department and the BOT gives.  

You want to blame anyone it goes above the Athletic Department.   

1 minute ago, willie said:

Look I’m not trying to be a Chris May apologists even though I like him. I’m trying to give some historical prospective. We have had a lot of AD’s at SLU and May is one of the better ones. Would he like to go to a Power Confrense ,probably. Would I like to be CEO of JP Morgan,sure,why not. (Actually no but get my point) Chris May is not our problem. 

Who is in charge then??? The students, the cleaning lady, or the usher in my section down there? You being CEO of wherever isn't the same thing as Chris May as AD who is actually in the business and stuck at SLU. So if nobody else wants him, we should? Ok. Think of it this way...if you see children throwing a temper tantrum or disrespecting authority, do you blame the kids or the parents for not parenting? The kids are the result of failed parenting. If the leader of the department is silly enough to not hammer away as much as possible about sexual assault, social media, don't put yourself in bad situations, etc, year after year...after S1 then I don't know what else to say. We can just disagree and wait around for S3. 

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

that is an incredible reach to hold any one responsible for S2 beyond the participants.   If you think watching some films attending a stormy lecture and reading a textbook would have prevented that night you seem to me to be one gullible person.  

As Willie said above we don't exactly have the budget of a P5 state school and we've seen what kind of administrative support the Athletic Department and the BOT gives.  

You want to blame anyone it goes above the Athletic Department.   

What??? Does Chris May just hand out towels and do the laundry down there or is he not suppose to be the leader of the department? Resources have nothing to do with educating and setting standards of conduct within any department. Has Dayton or VCU had two high profile sexual assaults within years of one another, under same AD? Not too many places have. All I'm saying is when people that know what's really going on within department say they don't do hardly enough to educate/scare the students into making good responsible decisions that is 100% on AD. I get they are kids, but the lack of accountability is alarming. I'm not implying the players did anything illegal, they were stupid, they are kids. What happened to them is/was terrible and not deserved. Chris May is their leader. If Chris May was CEO of Purina or AB or Express Scripts or Joe's Auto Shop USA and two high profile sexual assault situations arised under his watch there wouldn't be a third, I'll promise you that. It's called being accountable, it usually starts at the top with the leader. Fair or unfair they don't get out of jail cards in real world. Like I said earlier, let's wait until S3 then think about replacing AD....you may love the guy and he could be nicest man since Jesus, but being stupid isn't a very good defense. That's my point, doesn't matter if I like him or not, he's accountable and shouldn't get a free pass.

TheBand likes this