"I Have a Dream"

bauman

I'm not predicting this but it could happen.

The B of Trustees and Fred have heard so much feedback from donors that they realize the seriousness of the school's potential financial loss and realize that the entire "investigation" was flawed from the beginning.  Therefore, they are looking for a way out.

Since the school has not announced any findings or punishment they still have a lot of flexibility at this point.

Change the word "suspension" to "probation" and somehow deal with what they perceive is a worse case-the expelled player -in a lesser, manner. 

Everyone, except Kratzy and Weathers are satisfied and the school financial problem becomes minor.

TF stays as do all the incoming recruits.

"I have a dream."

1 hour ago, bauman said:

The B of Trustees and Fred have heard so much feedback from donors that they realize the seriousness of the school's potential financial loss and realize that the entire "investigation" was flawed from the beginning.  Therefore, they are looking for a way out.

Since the school has not announced any findings or punishment they still have a lot of flexibility at this point.

Change the word "suspension" to "probation" and somehow deal with what they perceive is a worse case-the expelled player -in a lesser, manner. 

Everyone, except Kratzy and Weathers are satisfied and the school financial problem becomes minor.

"I have a dream."

I an an incurable optimist. This is my hope. 

I have no idea, but I am hoping the blow back has been greater than anticipated.   I still think there is a sweet spot that can be had here.  I find it interesting the one player appealed immediately.   The others are thinking about it or what?  they have only one or two school business days to decide, and if they do not appeal, their "sentence is set, and is effective immediately".  I think there will be a reduction of the reducing 18 month  suspension, to what I do not know.  Not clear what the offense is in this instance, Passing on pics or video?   IF this is the reported person, he has ties to St. Louis.  He may really be saying he wants to stay.  While I do not think he did anything illegal, I am sure there is a code of conduct violation there somewhere, but reduction of the suspension to something that teaches a lesson, yet still gives the student a chance to succeed in life is what the goal should be.  Revenge should not be the intent of the punishment, as has been suggested by some about the father of the one student who participated in the investigation.  Cura Personalis should be applied to all students, even in disciplinary actions.

As I stated to Pestello this is not justice.  

I am fascinated to know how the school decides who is the victim and who is the perpetrator in what was a consensual activity.  Of course the historical default is to blame the black men and declare the white women as the victims. I will be curious to see if SLU did a good job contrasting how one party was defined as the victim and the other as the perpetrators. 

If the deciding line is post event regret, I bet the boys are full of regret now. 

3 hours ago, bauman said:

"I have a dream."

This is an idea worthy at least of consideration.  Something like this could be the basis for compromise, settlement.

While this Title IX process, including its application, is troubling, it is said that the best settlements are those in which no one goes away happy.

57 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I am fascinated to know how the school decides who is the victim and who is the perpetrator in what was a consensual activity.  Of course the historical default is to blame the black men and declare the white women as the victims. I will be curious to see if SLU did a good job contrasting how one party was defined as the victim and the other as the perpetrators. 

If the deciding line is post event regret, I bet the boys are full of regret now. 

From what we know, am I wrong to believe that the likely misconduct allegation arose from the unwanted taking and sharing of video/pics -- what SLU calls sexual exploitation?  Not rape or physical assault.  Rosenblum would not discuss the video/pic issue at length according to news reports.  Probably because it is his weak spot.  I am guessing the punishments were arrived at by the degree the players were involved with this issue.  If they did take and share video/pics then the victim/perpetrator issue is an easy one to solve.  What is more difficult is why someone was punished who may have not been involved at all as some have claimed was the case with Goodwin. 

I have a dream,                                   STILL,                                                            based on a 30/45 second period last night.

If anyone can save this school and basketball program from itself, it is Dr Chaifetz.  At one point in the game last night, JG made a spectacular play down in front of the student section.  As I looked down in front of me, the good Dr. was out of his seat,  pumping his fist and applauding. He did not look like a major donor who was going to allow the school to waste his prior donations towards the arena.  I can still dream that he will somehow be able to get this resolved without a self-induced death penalty.

Thanks for coming to the game, Dr., and good luck in what I assume is your effort to get school "leaders" to come up with a reasonable resolution to S2.

MattyMo213 and GoBills73 like this

• 3 weeks later...

The longer this drags out, the more I think my dream "has legs."  In my mind the delay at this point is a signal that some resolution, other than endorsing the HO's decision,  is being strongly considered.  I think Dr. P realizes the untenable position he, and the school,  are in if he allows the HO decision to stand.

I hope other graduates have responded in the same way as I did to the recent appeal for donations.  I not only pledged $0, but also explained why.

HenryB likes this