Coach’s Radio Show Monday 7 pm

HoosierPal

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

An unlikely ally, yes.

It's just weird to me that Frank and Kilcoyne take Terrell Ramey's word at face value with regard to SLU and Mizzou. Ramey isn't going to say, "I've had my eye on the big time for Courtney from the beginning, and we have ambitions beyond SLU and Mizzou," even though it's the truth. He's going to feign ignorance so he doesn't come off as a jerk. They should know enough to realize that these programs aren't just going to flat-out ignore a top-50 kid in their own backyard. How dense can they be? 'Gee, both programs could use another point guard - do you think they're aware that one of the best high school point guards in the country is in Webster Groves?' It's so dumb. The coaches are obviously aware. They've obviously done their due diligence. There's an obvious reason they're not actively recruiting him, and it's not because of incompetence. Don't let Terrell Ramey, the single most biased source as it relates to Courtney Ramey's recruitment, shape the narrative about how these programs recruit.

The fact and as usual I may be misinterpreting that the kid coming in same year was getting 100K under table when they got brought down always sticks with me and this recruit's saga. seems Rameys may have been in line when the window closed. Either way I love it when we don't waste time on those that don't want to come here. I always assumed we didn't recruit most non local studs cause we have know chance of getting them. I find it amazing that we have gotten 4 n 5's that we never would of offered back in the day. Of course shoot for a little higher than we should but remain realistic.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught most but not all of the show tonight.  The first half was pretty much a rehash of what he talked about with Frank C earlier today. (See my earlier recap.)  He did speak more on Jalen Johnson.  He does practice those 25 footers that he shots in the game.  Coach said Jalen's put back late in the Dayton game is what sealed the deal. 

Two GA's were on, Dante Milligan and Brian Petruzzelli.  Dante played for Ford at UMass, played professionally overseas and two years in the D League.  He has one more exam to take before he gets his Masters.  Petruzzelli only played one year at DIII, but his dad is/was a HS coach, so he has the bug.  Ford said he gets 3 to 4 requests or applications each day for GA's.

Team has been practicing cutting a lot in the past three weeks.  Ford never played a 1-3-1 zone before this year.  He did use a 1-3-1 as a trap press, but never stayed in it as a set defense before this team.  He said it allows players to rest more than in some other defenses. (I don't get that.)  

St. Joe's 5 is their best three point shooter.  Most all of his shots are behind the arc, so we will be making some adjustments.  St. Joe has lost at home only once, to Villanova. They defeated VCU, Dayton and St. Bonnie at Hagan Arena.  This will be a tough game.

Coach Ford shared the program with Coach Stone and it was pretty good.  A few new items. Goodwin is getting 16 to 18 deflections per game.  He wants to start a Deflections Chain, similar to the Rebound Chain.  Travis said that the guys really like the Rebound Chain, even though it is pretty ugly.

They haven't done much on rebound drills in practice, because Coach is afraid players will get hurt.  Today the managers held pads and banged on the players in the rebound drill.

Quite interesting comment on point guard play.  Coach said that when Hines is in the game, he is the point guard.  His main job is to bring the ball up the floor and enter the ball into the set.  When Hines is out, then he really doesn't care who brings the ball up.  He said that most sets, the ball comes back to the top of the key with 10 to 12 seconds, and that player needs to take over. He said Roby and Goodwin are learning how to play the point. 

Coach left early.  He hopes the bus doesn't get stolen again this trip to Olean.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Feb 12

Rammer stated that the radio broadcast location at St B is one of the best anywhere.  I found that interesting.  Coach said that they didn't necessarily lay an egg in Olean, they just weren't sharp.  He looked at the tape on Adams, and labeled it as an incredible performance.  'From where he was shooting, when he was shooting, there wasn't much more we could have done."  "Jalen kept us in the game in the second half. He was our offense."  He said the two quick fouls in the LaSalle game, Jalen never got into the flow of the game.

LaSalle is one of the worse match-ups for the Bills in the A10, with them playing small and we play big.  French's 6 blocks were tied for the third most blocks in one game.  [Henderson had 8 in 1979 and Reed 7 in 2009.]  Coach thinks French passes out too much rather than being aggressive at the rim.

Game and a half out of second place.  Looking forward to Rhode Island at St.Bonnie this week.  Everyone except Rhody is playing for seeding. 

Earl Austin Jr. talked about the Alumni Weekend and how many are coaching HS in the STL area.  Tatum - CBC, Frazier - Burroughs, (learned defense and cussing from his HS coach), Claggett - SLUH (now a defensive minded coach - he listened to Spoon screaming for better defense 'after he finished playing').  [Claggs took heat from Earl and Rammer on his lack of D at SLU.]  Claggett attends a lot of SLU practices.  Justin Love now coaching at Mascoutah.  John Duff coaches at Nerinx Hall,  Dwayne Polk Asst at Vashon. and Kevin Williams at Saxony Lutheran in Cape. Luke Meyers Asst at Borgia, and Danny Brown at STL College of Pharmacy.   A bunch of the Alum's came to practice on Friday. 

Coach is going out recruiting on Wednesday. All the assistants will be out most of the week.  His son's Senior Night is Tuesday at DeSmet.  His daughter's 16th birthday is this week.

Excited about Pearson.  Coach saw him the other night.  6'8" now.  Brings the ball up in traffic.  Sharp passer.  Can really shoot it.  Thatch out month with an ankle injury but back now.  Looked good on Friday.  Gordon's team will make a solid run for another state championship. Likes that all three have experienced winning and know the work needed to win.  Coach says he recruits to a need within his system, rather than just all great athletes.  Talked about recruiting at Campbellsville, in the NAIA.  You had to grab D1 transfers if you wanted to succeed.  You could recruit every day in the NAIA and scout your opponents.

Why the hell would someone mark this post with troll? He gives a nice detailed report of the coaches show, wtf is wrong with this?

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Ha. I have a “fan club”. 

If he's a '71 grad, cut him some slack. He maybe just tech challenged and hits the wrong button.

I'm 74 grad and many times I get tech challenged. Just lucky I have a son that majored in IT and we have team-view :rolleyes: