New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Delboy said:

If you have been to a Field Hockey game this season you will see how much they have improved. The record for the previous 8 years was 2-14, 1-18, 2-16, 1-17, 1-19, 3-16, 0-20, 1-16. Danielle has them going in the right direction. They now play on proper field hockey fields at Sportsport, instead of the turf fields at Soccer Park.

I think we all appreciate improvement he was making a point. It’s been a running theme with the current AD to celebrate mediocrity. The way they celebrated the NIT run with women’s basketball is a prime example 

3 hours ago, WUH said:

Everyone knows Biondi hired Majerus. I never said May hired Majerus.

May was there for the opening of the arena. I stand corrected. Still a lot of work in years 1-2.

Not defending May at all, but I think it is a stretch to say he watched the program burn.

Who is ultimately responsible for the men's soccer program???? The AD! He kept McGinty, he set the expectations, he decided to retain him when if you did a poll of most soccer alumni they would of gotten rid of him two years ago at least. 100% he sat back and put that program in the situation it is today. He loved McGinty because of his connection to Virginia, I'll bet he will try and do the same thing now and hire another "big time" program assistant and spin it off as the greatest thing since sliced bread. History will repeat itself, always does at SLU especially last ten years. Then don't complain about same results. How you can argue he has no accountability I find hard to believe, that's my opinion, not saying you are wrong, I just think his fingerprints are all over that soccer program, IF McGinty was successful don't you think he'd take all the credit? Absolutely he would. Take the good with the bad, that's the job he signed up for and it's a report card business. Can you imagine if a CEO of a Fortune 500 company had three straight bad years and made the defense to the stockholders , it wasn't my fault it was the management team I hired and oversaw! Think about that one. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think we all appreciate improvement he was making a point. It’s been a running theme with the current AD to celebrate mediocrity. The way they celebrated the NIT run with women’s basketball is a prime example 

NIT is as far as Stone will get the program. I like what she's done, need a coach now to take them to next level. Not to discount what's she's done, just again look at her history...she is what she is and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Delboy said:

If you have been to a Field Hockey game this season you will see how much they have improved. The record for the previous 8 years was 2-14, 1-18, 2-16, 1-17, 1-19, 3-16, 0-20, 1-16. Danielle has them going in the right direction. They now play on proper field hockey fields at Sportsport, instead of the turf fields at Soccer Park.

4-12 and people are excited? Really? This is what I'm talking about people! Then look at previous seasons? How is this to be taken seriously? 4-12? I guess in the land of the blind the man with one eye is king. Sorry not coach or girls fault but to be touting this as a successful year is sad, especially if you call yourself division 1! 

1 hour ago, Delboy said:

At no point was I making a slight at the coaching staff or players..This falls on the hands of the Athletic Department and school but mostly Athletic Dept because they don't want to be great. They are ok with a couple teams making runs here and there and they keep their jobs. My point is you don't celebrate the 4-12 record, its a joke. They have more turnover in the arena then anywhere. If this were a business which it should be, people would be fired...and FAST. 

16 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

At no point was I making a slight at the coaching staff or players..This falls on the hands of the Athletic Department and school but mostly Athletic Dept because they don't want to be great. They are ok with a couple teams making runs here and there and they keep their jobs. My point is you don't celebrate the 4-12 record, its a joke. They have more turnover in the arena then anywhere. If this were a business which it should be, people would be fired...and FAST. 

I’m by no means celebrating a less than mediocre field hockey program but We’re lucky to win any conference games being a Midwest school playing an east coast sport in an all east coast conference . Field hockey plays 20 minutes from campus no matter how you spin it that sucks. Let’s make mistake field hockey has historically been a sport to satisfy title IX Scholarship requirements. What the coach has accomplished is nothing short of miraculous 

Billy Ken likes this

49 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m by no means celebrating a less than mediocre field hockey program but We’re lucky to win any conference games being a Midwest school playing an east coast sport in an all east coast conference . Field hockey plays 20 minutes from campus no matter how you spin it that sucks. Let’s make mistake field hockey has historically been a sport to satisfy title IX Scholarship requirements. What the coach has accomplished is nothing short of miraculous 

I took what you said out of context and apologize. I agree, but I feel for that coach and those players. Again, how does the school, AD, whoever is in charge honestly look at a coach and their players and expect results when not giving them the support needed. It's a shame and very disappointing that each year this program is set up to fail and be embarrassed and that's acceptable. A program is only as strong as its weakest link and if this is just a check the title ix box and whocares, what a slap in the face to that Coach, the players and the players families. 

35 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I took what you said out of context and apologize. I agree, but I feel for that coach and those players. Again, how does the school, AD, whoever is in charge honestly look at a coach and their players and expect results when not giving them the support needed. It's a shame and very disappointing that each year this program is set up to fail and be embarrassed and that's acceptable. A program is only as strong as its weakest link and if this is just a check the title ix box and whocares, what a slap in the face to that Coach, the players and the players families. 

No need to apologize. I don't disagree with anything being said. It's an embarrassment indeed. He has no issue getting a pay raise for himself though. 

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If they bring Clarke back will they make him do the team’s laundry like they did in his first go around as coach?

Is that true?

I guess the added duties after Keough and the coaching position became a full-time job.

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

Who is ultimately responsible for the men's soccer program?

Please ignore my previous post.  Our disagreement is so minor as to be a non-issue.

I know we are in agreement that the program is in a bad way. 

11 minutes ago, WUH said:

Please ignore my previous post.  Our disagreement is so minor as to be a non-issue.

I know we are in agreement that the program is in a bad way. 

All good, we both want same thing! I just want to throw facts and history out there and get some answers. When you make a list and talk to enough people, this is an alarming pattern over a long period of time. Where is the accountability by AD and who actually is in charge of keeping him accountable? President? Who fires a coach and doesn't have the replacement in hand waiting? It's insane. Then have an alumni turn you down! Something isn't right and these are good questions to be asking.

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

Who is ultimately responsible for the men's soccer program???? The AD! He kept McGinty, he set the expectations, he decided to retain him when if you did a poll of most soccer alumni they would of gotten rid of him two years ago at least. 100% he sat back and put that program in the situation it is today. He loved McGinty because of his connection to Virginia, I'll bet he will try and do the same thing now and hire another "big time" program assistant and spin it off as the greatest thing since sliced bread. History will repeat itself, always does at SLU especially last ten years. Then don't complain about same results. How you can argue he has no accountability I find hard to believe, that's my opinion, not saying you are wrong, I just think his fingerprints are all over that soccer program, IF McGinty was successful don't you think he'd take all the credit? Absolutely he would. Take the good with the bad, that's the job he signed up for and it's a report card business. Can you imagine if a CEO of a Fortune 500 company had three straight bad years and made the defense to the stockholders , it wasn't my fault it was the management team I hired and oversaw! Think about that one. 

Yes and no.  Funding (or lack thereof) continues to hamstring SLU athletics.  If you are referring to who is responsible for the men's soccer program at a Power 5 conference, then I agree that it is the Athletic Director who is ultimately responsible.  With a budget of $35 million coming from SEC football/tv alone, then there is sufficient money hire the right soccer coach , to let go a soccer coach who still might have 2 years left on his contract, to provide security to your head coach beyond one year contracts and to hire/pay quality assistant coaches. With a shoe-string budget, A10 basketball TV revenues and NCAA Tourney monies drying up from the glory days of men's basketball, I don't believe AD May had the resources to let McGinty go (and keep paying him) or to make facility upgrades, etc.  Under Fr. Biondi, department heads could continue prior year's budgets but had no authority to buy a box paper clips without the good Father's approval. 

I believe we are taking for granted the generosity and financial support of basketball boosters like Novelly and Chaifetz.  We appear to have no equivalent for men's soccer or the other sports.  And while the men's soccer program has a truly rich and storied past, the lack of an active soccer booster club is surprising and real missed opportunity.  Frankly I know soccer alums who feel like the University has always short-changed the soccer program.  I assume Fr. Biondi and our athletic department have alienated alot over the years.  And while the University has had its own financial issues, I do believe that President Fred and our AD must team together to kick off a capital campaign to help the sports programs  -- facility upgrades, equipment upgrades and money to fully fund the programs with NCAA allowed scholarships -- but this must be a concerted effort by the whole University - not just by our AD.

5 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

NIT is as far as Stone will get the program. I like what she's done, need a coach now to take them to next level. Not to discount what's she's done, just again look at her history...she is what she is and nothing more.

Who in the hell appointed you as the pontificator supposed expert on all sports at SLU for Billikens.com. You know so little but say so much-- over and over again- that it is truly astounding. We know you hate all things Billiken. Why not just give it a rest. This board is already so full of junk that many long time fans ignore it and say that it is now the home of trolls and idiots (of course there are still a few long time long suffering true blue Billiken fans but not that many as compared to the trolls). You have no idea what is really going on at SLU-and in fact there are many many good things happening. It is in fact a wonderful school with excellent students who really care about making a difference. These days and times are some of the most difficult ever in the history of private Catholic education and SLU is dealing with these complexities very well on many fronts. Your constant negative ignorant diatribes do not make them true just because you type words on your computer.

4 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

These days and times are some of the most difficult ever in the history of private Catholic education and SLU is dealing with these complexities very well on many fronts.

And how exactly is it the most difficult time in history? 

4 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

Who in the hell appointed you as the pontificator supposed expert on all sports at SLU for Billikens.com. You know so little but say so much-- over and over again- that it is truly astounding. We know you hate all things Billiken. Why not just give it a rest. This board is already so full of junk that many long time fans ignore it and say that it is now the home of trolls and idiots (of course there are still a few long time long suffering true blue Billiken fans but not that many as compared to the trolls). You have no idea what is really going on at SLU-and in fact there are many many good things happening. It is in fact a wonderful school with excellent students who really care about making a difference. These days and times are some of the most difficult ever in the history of private Catholic education and SLU is dealing with these complexities very well on many fronts. Your constant negative ignorant diatribes do not make them true just because you type words on your computer.

Ha.  This board is full of true blue Billiken fans. We would not be here if we were not.  The board and the fans have reached a level of frustration that I cannot remember in my 20 years of Billiken fandom.  We endured the Crews years and this year we saw some light at the end of the tunnel until S2 happened.  The university's seemingly bungled handling of that situation has now caused us fans to look at the AD's office and it appears to be a mess.  No NCAA tournament appearances since 2014, mediocre or worse results in most sports in that time frame, lack of adequate fundraising for Billiken athletics, numerous typos in marketing promos (Chris May's extremely long and self-congratulatory bio even includes one - "enchancements"), inability to hire a soccer coach in a reasonable amount of time after firing the previous coach and the hiring of Jim Crews are just some of the missteps.  Of course coaches at the school tell you the AD is great because they are producing mediocre results and want to keep their jobs.  At your place of business, do you keep those who do not produce results or are consistently mediocre?  From the tone of your posts, you project yourself to be in the know and able to make change at SLU.  I hope you show how you are a true blue Billiken fan and take a long hard look at what is really going on.

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

That is what I was told.

I was a student in Joey Clarke's first few years and I worked for the soccer team (although my role was game day).  I know the work-study guys (at the time other athletes) that did the laundry.  I do not remember Joey having a role but he certainly was the type of person who would have helped if he could.  He was there longer than I was so he could have been forced into it (the work-study jobs were not necessarily the tightest run at the time--so I could see gaps in laundry coverage).  I will say that Joey was really great to work for and the team was good in that era.

6 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

Is there a soccer coach? 

Joe was a player at SLU when I student. Just looked at his record and roster at WashU. He has 10 NCAA (are they D2, lower or NAIA?) appearances in 21 years at WashU of those only one made it past the 2nd round. He had a much better record at SLU. 12 NCAA appearances in 14 years. A Final 4 in '91. Also he had respectable records in the Great Midwest and CUSA conferences. Noticed from his WashU roster, no St Louis players.  

6 hours ago, Billikenswin said:

I've never said I was an expert on Billiken athletics. I've been a season ticket holder since the old Kiel days sir. So to say I don't care about the program, that is not true, if anything I care more about it than I should! I will agree that the students are great and they are the customers of the university. In the case of the athletic department I've soured on leadership, read my post going back years, I was on board with AD longer than most. But if you are talking about "all the good things going on" like...med school in probation and possibly staying on probation and on meltdown, lay offs while spending millions on scoreboards and locker rooms, a law school which is getting better but a shell of its former self and two brand new dorms that sit half empty, oh and that big capital campaign that has been in the works for three years and can't raise a dime, a president that is indecisive and over his head running a university like slu, oh clocktower accords worked out great, where is the follow through there? Hey, our opinions differ but everything I just listed is a fact. Very easy to call someone a troll or that they hate something IF the other person disagrees. It's actually the opposite! If I'm wrong and don't know anything, please correct me. But if we can't have an honest conversation without disagreement then you sir are the "troll" or "hater." Defend your points and quit your "pontificating" on proper etiquette on a public board. If your child is out of control, you can be upset and angry at them, but you still always love them. That's how I feel about university and athletics right now. But if you want to believe what you want to believe and rag against anyone who disagrees with you and not be open to criticism then you must either work at SLU or you have problems forming original opinion for yourself. Go Bills!!!

TaLBErt and SLU_Nick like this