New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

Care to share who those multiple candidates are?

I'm not going to say the last candidates name because he is a good friend of our family. But I will say he is a head coach currently and an alumni of SLU. AND he turned the job down. In all fairness he didn't want to leave his current job, he heard the AD out and even though he played for the Bills, that wasn't enough to convince him to leave. That is a concern. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SLU_Lax said:

“Important people” would have to care. How many emails, letters, or tweets with incorrect dates, times, or opponents has the AD sent?  I do not think those types of details are considered that important. Shoot, we tried to have Tatum do his official visit during the dead period. 

I’m not meaning to pass a judgment. I am just trying to say the school has the right to set their own priorities and standards. Their past actions and repeated mistakes would indicate it is within their acceptable standards. 

I unsubscribe to the department emails when two years ago I called to complain to the marketing man about sending out wrong time for an event. He did say sorry and asked if I actually went. I said no, my wife caught the error before we crossed Boone Bridge, he said then I guess I don't need to say sorry and laughed. So, again due to personal experience, I agree with this statement.

8 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Just like with our head basketball coach, SLU is generally not a destination spot for college Athletic Directors and we should be concerned each year about losing our guy -- from head coach to Athletic Director.   With Romar, we did lose him.  With Brad and Crews, this was never a concern.  With RM, we were concerned he would give up/leave (and he likely would have had he not died).  But with AD May, there is no concern that anyone will poach him (which is a major warning sign). Also AD May does not appear to have gotten himself onto any influential NCAA committees like Debbie Yow (which is a warning sign) or used his seniority/connections to SLU's advantage within the A10 (I see nothing) and there seems to be no interest for him of moving up to bigger conference, with more teams/staff/football  even like "do nothing" Doug Woolard (which is another warning sign).  Now, had Chris May already established himself and then returned home to where he grew up (see Cheryl Levick), then I would understand.  Instead, AD May seems like he is content simply cashing a paycheck and putting mediocre teams and programs on the field/court.  Sad.

This post is spot on. Why spend millions of dollars on new scoreboards, locker rooms, charter flights, coaching salaries if you don't want to be as good as possible???? I'm just tired of always saying to my Mizzou and Kansas fan buddies, SLU has so much potential. Potential just means you haven't done anything yet and it's been almost 100 years in the making. I never thought about it but ADs from mid major schools that are good are usually poached, May has been at school 10 years and hasn't much to show for it, add that to list of things I posted earlier about his tenure. Hate to say this but look at the crowds at basketball games, it's all old people like me. In ten years, I hope I'm still here and going but a majority of us won't be. Something to think about. 

16 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

I'm not going to say the last candidates name because he is a good friend of our family. But I will say he is a head coach currently and an alumni of SLU. AND he turned the job down. In all fairness he didn't want to leave his current job, he heard the AD out and even though he played for the Bills, that wasn't enough to convince him to leave. That is a concern. 

If it was Mims up at Nebraska Omaha, that would be disappointing to hear. I was thinking that he would be an excellent coach for our program.

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

I’ve heard that it wasn’t the offer amount with Mims it was the lack of commitment.

Speaking of Nebraska, if it weren't for U of Nebraska completely cleaning house and hiring a new AD from Washington, they would have never landed Scott Frost from Central Florida. Sometimes a total culture change is necessary to affect national perception. Chris May just isn't the type of person who's going to build up SLU athletics to what we want it to be. In fact it feels as though the athletics culture at SLU has been significantly diminishing under his watch. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’ve heard that it wasn’t the offer amount with Mims it was the lack of commitment.

This is what I heard too.  I heard it was, also, the reason a big name college coach with area ties lost interest in the job.  They offered both enough money to interest them, but were not willing to put the resources into the program they felt they needed to make it worth leaving their current situation.  

I love the Billikens. I really do. If you stop and rationally think about where this program is, after ten years it's very mediocre. I think SLU can do better. For any of the big donor posters that say May has done a great job and his hands are tied, then use your influence to the board and president and get him what he needs. If an alumni turns you down for a job because of lack of commitment, not money, that means that candidate was the person who was the right man for the job. It's not always about the money. Plus how people are treated during the interview process is eye opening and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Spoon-Balls likes this

25 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Who did the negotiating? George Costanza? This sounds like an "it's not you it's me" type of situation. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

He used to kick my butt in NHL 93 when we were in school.  His commitment to that game was real.

6 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-what does a new soccer coach need from the Admin to be successful that hasn't been there? can someone please detail for someone not close to soccer on the commitment that is needed

There is no universal answer to the question, but rather there are multiple ways in which SLU could provide the commitment necessary to recruit a big time coach. Examples include salary and staff salary pool, travel and general expense budget, and commitment to facilities.  SLU could also signal commitment by agreeing to offer the new coach a long term contract

In regards to the salary, private institutions do not need to disclose salary terms, but the public institutions do.

I did a search for Coach Mims and his base salary is $74,XXX, though it is likely that he gets income from his summer camps.  That varies from institution to institution, but he may be pocketing 100% of the profit.  Who knows?  For further comparison, Coach Rensing at Michigan State makes a base salary of $95,XXX.

In regards to facilities, the University of Nebraska Omaha is the perfect example of an institution that demonstrates a commitment through facilities.  Caniglia Field is beautiful: http://www.omavs.com/news/2013/10/28/209293705.aspx.

In regards to long term contracts, Dan Donigan reportedly left because he wanted the security of a long term contract which he received from Rutgers.  It has been a good thing for Donigan because he remains employed by Rutgers having only won 4 games over the past two seasons.

6 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is what I heard too.  I heard it was, also, the reason a big name college coach with area ties lost interest in the job.  They offered both enough money to interest them, but were not willing to put the resources into the program they felt they needed to make it worth leaving their current situation.  

This is baffling to me. It is a shame to see the University not commit to a program that has so much history that should be celebrated. When I went to the game this fall against Denver, my friend (not a SLU alum) was telling me how amazed he was to find out just how good SLU soccer was when he did some research before the game out of curiosity. With the number of Billiken soccer alums in the area doing well for themselves, it shouldn't be too hard for that program to raise some $ either.

46 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

The AD had 10 years over seeing the soccer program. He watched it burn for years and now he is in charge of fixing it. Think about that one.

OK, now this is a bit much.

SLU soccer made it to the second round of the NCAA tourney in the first two years of the Chris May tenure.

Dan Donigan left and Coach McGinty looked to be a solid hire at the time.

SLU soccer began trending up and made it to the second round in 2012 even if most of the fans had concerns. 

May clearly should have charted a new course last year and should have invested more in the facilities, but building the arena and a competitive basketball program was obviously going to be a priority.

22 minutes ago, WUH said:

May clearly should have charted a new course last year and should have invested more in the facilities, but building the arena and a competitive basketball program was obviously going to be a priority.

May did not build the arena.  He also did not hire RickMa.

Also, it would be nice if an AD could focus on more than one sport at a time.

7 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

HA! Fat chance..Put all their eggs in basketball basket. No pun intended. Outside of the arena the facilities are no better than Juco or High School.

Let me also add we celebrate mediocrity. 3rd article on website is celebrating a 4-12 Field Hockey Season..That is a joke, I am sorry. 

6 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

He used to kick my butt in NHL 93 when we were in school.  His commitment to that game was real.

The craziest thing in that game is that Jaromir Jagr was in it and he's still playing today.  

He'll probably retire before a decision is made in S2.

DirtyRican likes this

12 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

HA! Fat chance..Put all their eggs in basketball basket. No pun intended. Outside of the arena the facilities are no better than Juco or High School.

Let me also add we celebrate mediocrity. 3rd article on website is celebrating a 4-12 Field Hockey Season..That is a joke, I am sorry. 

This

23 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Everyone knows Biondi hired Majerus. I never said May hired Majerus.

May was there for the opening of the arena. I stand corrected. Still a lot of work in years 1-2.

Not defending May at all, but I think it is a stretch to say he watched the program burn.

1 hour ago, TheGrandLife said:

If you have been to a Field Hockey game this season you will see how much they have improved. The record for the previous 8 years was 2-14, 1-18, 2-16, 1-17, 1-19, 3-16, 0-20, 1-16. Danielle has them going in the right direction. They now play on proper field hockey fields at Sportsport, instead of the turf fields at Soccer Park.