New Soccer Coach???

Billy Ken

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Anne Kordes - she was almost selling out Chaifetz when the Penn States and Stanfords of the women's volleyball world came to call. One of the best coaches to ever don Billiken Blue in any sport. 

I was at the Penn State game and I believe there were over 6k there.. More importantly she was hot   

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I was at the Penn State game and I believe there were over 6k there.. More importantly she was hot   

Anne is an unbelievable coach, recruiter and motivator. I worked as a manager for her my first semester at SLU. She could get her teams to run through a brick wall for her. Cheryl Levick really hit a home run when she hired Anne.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Anne is an unbelievable coach, recruiter and motivator. I worked as a manager for her my first semester at SLU. She could get her teams to run through a brick wall for her. Cheryl Levick really hit a home run when she hired Anne.

+1, compared to Marilyn Nolan, she brought a lot of spunk and energy to the VBall squad. 

15 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Another reason little old Creighton, from small market Nebraska, made the Big East while SLU from the 20th largest TV market did not...  Winning men's basketball games will sure help, but our sports program overall (has not appreciably improved... and may have decreased) over the last 25 years.  Where is the funding for our sports program.  Remember when SLU was a national power in volleyball b/c of our hiring the right coach?  Now, we seem to have solid coaches for men's basketball and baseball and our women's basketball appears to be in good shape but not much of anything else.  Sad.

I think the President and Board of Trustees need to have a hard look at the overall management and organization of the athletic department at all levels. But then again their lack of commitment to the basketball team tells me that SLU as a whole is a school that just doesn't want to prioritize athletics.

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Without a doubt. There isn’t a single reason why we can’t be top of the league in women’s sports that aren’t field hockey. The A-10 is putrid in everything but basketball. 

Womens Basketball is like top 15 RPI conference, not particularly stellar. SLU is just headed in the wrong direction. I really believe there needs to be a shuffle among the top of those who are making decisions. 

27 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

Womens Basketball is like top 15 RPI conference, not particularly stellar. SLU is just headed in the wrong direction. I really believe there needs to be a shuffle among the top of those who are making decisions. 

Absolutely. Mediocrity and status quo is rewarded right now. The culture has to change completely 

I use to be a fan of the AD, I've heard a lot about him, my recent personal interaction, and his Butler meltdown. He's been there ten years or so correct? MBB was set up before him with Majerus, baseball was set up before him with current coach. So, he gets no credit there. He hired Crews, now I know people will argue he was great, coach of the year, etc. that was with Majerus players. He's George Siefert, Bill Callahan, etc. Everyone knew he could coach and the knock was he couldn't recruit. Both true. Plus nobody was clamoring for him after he won coach of the year, no one. I like Ford, but he's a good recruiter and so-so coach, that's his history. After a while you are what you are. I still think Ford is fine, but jury is out. Again, no one else was knocking down his door after OK State let him go, ask this question, if Villanova or Creighton job opened would Ford get an interview? Not sure. WBB he didn't hire last coach, so that's not on him, but Stone has peaked I fear. Plus she wasn't first choice I've heard, Coach Majerus told him to hire her, they had Wisconsin ties and maybe same agent? Volleyball is atrocious. WSOC ran off St Louis coach who recruited team they have now and he hired McGinty and fired him without a replacement in hand! We haven't even talked about the Big East, at height of program he couldn't get us in and I've heard it was Father B fault, I have my doubts because one thing that guy knew was money, getting into Big East meant a lot more money for university. My whole point is this whole experience trying to hire a soccer coach is alarming. I tried to support him, but again when I tried to talk to him, face to face he looked at me and walked right past me. I guess I don't donate enough to matter and that's fine. I love the Billikens and there was an AD before him and there will be another AD after him. If I'm way off on any statements please help fill in the blanks. This is what people who have worked the game tables have told me and a couple friends that are bigger donors. Happy New Year! Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I use to be a fan of the AD, I've heard a lot about him, my recent personal interaction, and his Butler meltdown. He's been there ten years or so correct? MBB was set up before him with Majerus, baseball was set up before him with current coach. So, he gets no credit there. He hired Crews, now I know people will argue he was great, coach of the year, etc. that was with Majerus players. He's George Siefert, Bill Callahan, etc. Everyone knew he could coach and the knock was he couldn't recruit. Both true. Plus nobody was clamoring for him after he won coach of the year, no one. I like Ford, but he's a good recruiter and so-so coach, that's his history. After a while you are what you are. I still think Ford is fine, but jury is out. Again, no one else was knocking down his door after OK State let him go, ask this question, if Villanova or Creighton job opened would Ford get an interview? Not sure. WBB he didn't hire last coach, so that's not on him, but Stone has peaked I fear. Plus she wasn't first choice I've heard, Coach Majerus told him to hire her, they had Wisconsin ties and maybe same agent? Volleyball is atrocious. WSOC ran off St Louis coach who recruited team they have now and he hired McGinty and fired him without a replacement in hand! We haven't even talked about the Big East, at height of program he couldn't get us in and I've heard it was Father B fault, I have my doubts because one thing that guy knew was money, getting into Big East meant a lot more money for university. My whole point is this whole experience trying to hire a soccer coach is alarming. I tried to support him, but again when I tried to talk to him, face to face he looked at me and walked right past me. I guess I don't donate enough to matter and that's fine. I love the Billikens and there was an AD before him and there will be another AD after him. If I'm way off on any statements please help fill in the blanks. This is what people who have worked the game tables have told me and a couple friends that are bigger donors. Happy New Year! Go Bills!

Well said..You are spot on. I am not sure how you can defend this. There are HS Baseball fields in the STL Metro area that are better than ours. Softball field is an intramural field, soccer hasn't changed. The people leading the show are lost. It is a sad situation. Yet he continues to keep his job and get a raise? (Rumor that I heard). 

From those I know who have worked in the AD the past few years, a number of aspects of it are an absolute mess. People would be going to "meetings" at Chipotle only to sit there and eat for 2 hours to avoid doing extra work... The culture in the AD is not great right now with flailing soccer and volleyball programs, and mediocre or subpar results from everything else. Marketing efforts in the local region (and on campus) have been disappointing to say the least.  

Billy Ken likes this

19 minutes ago, TheGrandLife said:

One would think these allegations/rumors/stories would catch the attention of "important people" and make a change. 

“Important people” would have to care. How many emails, letters, or tweets with incorrect dates, times, or opponents has the AD sent?  I do not think those types of details are considered that important. Shoot, we tried to have Tatum do his official visit during the dead period. 

I’m not meaning to pass a judgment. I am just trying to say the school has the right to set their own priorities and standards. Their past actions and repeated mistakes would indicate it is within their acceptable standards. 

Billy Ken likes this

12 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

I use to be a fan of the AD, I've heard a lot about him, my recent personal interaction, and his Butler meltdown. He's been there ten years or so correct? MBB was set up before him with Majerus, baseball was set up before him with current coach. So, he gets no credit there. He hired Crews, now I know people will argue he was great, coach of the year, etc. that was with Majerus players. He's George Siefert, Bill Callahan, etc. Everyone knew he could coach and the knock was he couldn't recruit. Both true. Plus nobody was clamoring for him after he won coach of the year, no one. I like Ford, but he's a good recruiter and so-so coach, that's his history. After a while you are what you are. I still think Ford is fine, but jury is out. Again, no one else was knocking down his door after OK State let him go, ask this question, if Villanova or Creighton job opened would Ford get an interview? Not sure. WBB he didn't hire last coach, so that's not on him, but Stone has peaked I fear. Plus she wasn't first choice I've heard, Coach Majerus told him to hire her, they had Wisconsin ties and maybe same agent? Volleyball is atrocious. WSOC ran off St Louis coach who recruited team they have now and he hired McGinty and fired him without a replacement in hand! We haven't even talked about the Big East, at height of program he couldn't get us in and I've heard it was Father B fault, I have my doubts because one thing that guy knew was money, getting into Big East meant a lot more money for university. My whole point is this whole experience trying to hire a soccer coach is alarming. I tried supportdoe him, but again when I tried to talk to him, face to face he looked at me and walked right past me. I guess I don't donate enough to matter and that's fine. I love the Billikens and there was an AD before him and there will be another AD after him. If I'm way off on any statements please help fill in the blanks. This is what people who have worked the game tables have told me and a couple friends that are bigger donors. Happy New Year! Go Bills!

Just like with our head basketball coach, SLU is generally not a destination spot for college Athletic Directors and we should be concerned each year about losing our guy -- from head coach to Athletic Director.   With Romar, we did lose him.  With Brad and Crews, this was never a concern.  With RM, we were concerned he would give up/leave (and he likely would have had he not died).  But with AD May, there is no concern that anyone will poach him (which is a major warning sign). Also AD May does not appear to have gotten himself onto any influential NCAA committees like Debbie Yow (which is a warning sign) or used his seniority/connections to SLU's advantage within the A10 (I see nothing) and there seems to be no interest for him of moving up to bigger conference, with more teams/staff/football  even like "do nothing" Doug Woolard (which is another warning sign).  Now, had Chris May already established himself and then returned home to where he grew up (see Cheryl Levick), then I would understand.  Instead, AD May seems like he is content simply cashing a paycheck and putting mediocre teams and programs on the field/court.  Sad.

In soccer news, the US is holding a mega-camp for 153 U-16, U-17, U-18 and U-19 players. Of concern here (and maybe alarm to those who still think Stl is the epicenter of US soccer), and perhaps as a retort to those who think a team of locals would re-create the glory years, few locals have been invited. I see Jack Maher and Aedan Stanley, and if we are being nit-picky neither are from St Louis/Missouri. This is really damning to the state of the local scene (the few college players I noticed are all from Indiana, by the way).

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/12/29/17/28/20171229-news-ynt-first-ever-us-soccer-mens-ynt-summit-brings-153-players-together-in-single-camp

1 hour ago, William Iken said:

In soccer news, the US is holding a mega-camp for 153 U-16, U-17, U-18 and U-19 players. Of concern here (and maybe alarm to those who still think Stl is the epicenter of US soccer), and perhaps as a retort to those who think a team of locals would re-create the glory years, few locals have been invited. I see Jack Maher and Aedan Stanley, and if we are being nit-picky neither are from St Louis/Missouri. This is really damning to the state of the local scene (the few college players I noticed are all from Indiana, by the way).

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/12/29/17/28/20171229-news-ynt-first-ever-us-soccer-mens-ynt-summit-brings-153-players-together-in-single-camp

Don't disagree that we can't be a team of mostly locals, but lets not kill Stl as a soccer region just yet. The best U17  player in the country is from St. Louis

On December 26, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Billy Ken said:

If I was a parent of one of the players I'd be more than upset that there wasn't a coach in place, everyone is in limbo. I heard the job has been turned down by multiple candidates and as of right now it's back to square one. If this is true that is so bad. I think I'm getting to the point where I'm caring less and less about SLU in general because of how the whole place keeps shooting itself in the foot all the time! Sorry just feeling down on soccer situation and MBB situation. Very upsetting.

Care to share who those multiple candidates are?

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Athletics are not important to the school. That has been more than proven the past few months.

sadly i have to agree.   when the powers to be are more worried about having themselves a merry christmas than justice for our student athletes, that speaks volumes.   i hope Pesty and krafty had a wonderful christmas. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

sadly i have to agree.   when the powers to be are more worried about having themselves a merry christmas than justice for our student athletes, that speaks volumes.   i hope Pesty and krafty had a wonderful christmas. 

Holiday. Watch your mouth with the Christmas , Roy. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Holiday. Watch your mouth with the Christmas , Roy. 

i was going to say "happy holidays" then thought, "no i am not going to fall to the ugly world of the academia's"   it's christmas.  

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was going to say "happy holidays" then thought, "no i am not going to fall to the ugly world of the academia's"   it's christmas.  

Always one of my favorites, Roy. Happy New Year, sir.