GDT. No mercy on Detroit

CBFan

I went to the game expecting a win and came back with a defeat. Most of the game they were passing the ball outside the zone and making few real physical attempts to penetrate it. I guess Detroit saw the videos of our game against Providence and so will all of our opponents. We got better on the last part of the second half more physical and less sleepy. Agree Hines shoots entirely too many bricks to be allowed to shoot some more. Anyway we lost, too bad.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the mascot's fault. Only thing more important than that was miserable FG shooting, miserable FT shooting, miserable decision-making, miserable game plan, miserable.... fill in the blank. First time I've thought that what OK State fans said about Ford's coaching ability might be right.

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I get that but there was no attempt to HAVE HINES STOP SHOOTING

Hines absolutely destroys any chance at achieving fluid ball movement when he is in the game. Every time he touches the ball he dribbles aimlessly for 5-10 seconds. Most of the time he then jacks up a terrible shot. He looks to be achieving his goal of impersonating Milik Yarbrough though, so stellar work there (see:  https://twitter.com/Get_Buckets24/status/931362491711545344 ).

Alas, tonight's loss cannot be blamed solely on Aaron Hines' atrocious performance. Once again, when facing an inferior opponent, we got off to a great start and then seemingly lost interest for a while. This is becoming an alarming trend that allows teams to stick around. Until tonight, we ultimately were able to pull away down the stretch.

If you are the coaching staff, you have to realize that opposing teams are now going to pack it in all game long daring you to shoot 3's. At some point, it becomes your job to create a game plan that allows your players to succeed. Our zone "offense" worked out at first because Jalen was on fire. However, as soon as he started missing shots we looked absolutely lost. There was absolutely no movement away from the ball.  Every single player looked overly passive. The few times that we were aggressive we found guys cutting on the baseline for easy lay-ins.

I'm starting to believe that some of our issues with finishing at the hoop can be attributed to our bigs. There is absolutely no attempt to seal the defender. Jett, McCall, and Kwamain had so many easy looks because Rob and Cody were so adept at sealing off the help-side defender. The middle just looks so clogged right now.

Which brings me to the next point. We are going to continue to be challenged offensively until we get back AD, JB, and Welmer. Every player right now is just so similar we become completely one dimensional and easy to guard. Everybody will look so much better offensively when you just add a few shooters to space the floor. Just by keeping defenders honest you will see so many more opportunities at the rim for guys like Bess and Goodwin.

I'm so incredibly frustrated now with SLU's handling of Situation 2.0. The fact the guys all traveled to New York is our clearest evidence to date that nothing criminal occurred. If nothing criminal occurred we are merely dealing with student conduct rules. But in typical SLU fashion, they have no idea how to handle things. If school rules were broken, then those rules were broken by more than the 3 players. Yet it is the players who have been publicly outed by the University. By not commenting on the matter and leaving everybody in the dark, this has become the story. For example, we absolutely dominated Virginia Tech for our best win in years. Rather than the announcers focusing on that, ESPN ran a graphic on Situation 2.0. This is no longer fair to the players or their teammates.

Gotta make this up at Butler (hopefully with a full roster).

#FreeAdonys #FreeBishop

majerus mojo likes this

24 minutes ago, Scoop said:

Remember when we shut down people from 3.  I'm tired of teams raining 3s on us.  This makes for a Thanksgiving.  Have to Butler to make this right.

You left some words out of your last two sentences. You are probably drinking heavily as am I. So I am going to give some suggestions to complete these sentences.

This makes for a  SAD  WORRISOME  TROUBLING  DISAPPOINTING  UNGRATEFUL  Thanksgiving.

Have to  EDGE  PUMMEL  KILL  OBLITERATE  NUKE  POUND  EVISCERATE  Butler to make this right.

Choose your words carefully but above all, have fun!!

Fellow Jesuit friends.  1st your arena looks awesome!  We luv Calihan Hall, but a make over to a SLU type arena is long over due!  

I WISH the Detroit program left the MCC when others did like SLU!  Pretty sure we are the last remaining MCC team after Loyola left!  A10 for Detroit would be a good fit with other similar type schools.  Detroit had a chance to go to the Big East in '80 but blew that chance.  Long story for another day!  Dickie V could of helped after we gave him a platform getting on the map.

To the present.... When March rolls around this will be viewed as a Bad L.  The Detroit program is in a complete shambles!  2 years ago the AD was hooking up with the Asst Coach while our HC ignored what was going on.  We hired a terrible new AD with no Detroit or Metro Detroit connections.  Fast forward to now a suspended HC.  Will come out eventually, but the jist is the HC  yelled not so nice things that were caught on camera - Internet age...

Team plays playground summer youth AAU basketball, which in the long run does not work in D1.  They chuck balls up and its literally Daddy Ball!  Evidence 2 players with most of the shots...

Anyway - Ford has brought in and is bringing in very good players.  SLU has a system and facilities to grow!  Look to the west towards Creighton and further west to Gonzaga the present day Jesuit desired program!   

To be safe, WIN the A10 tourney to get into the dance!  This L will provide Ford teaching moments!  Appreciate you pulling for the Titans this year, otherwise they will be pulling your RPI down.

Will point my friends to SLU as a barometer...  Oh and feel free to whip on another league rival who was smart enough to leave - Butler!  As we say in the D - Buck Futler!!

Edited by Titan M
S

Hi Titan.

Just one comment to your mention of March.  This is a BAD LOSS NOW!  I sat through the game. I don't have to wait till March to rate the baddity of this loss.  The funny thing is, we've got Virginia Tech crying about THEIR bad loss to US. Wait till they see tonight's result.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I really don't put that much blame on ford.  As another poster said, this team is one dimensional on offense. Defense wise we just didn't do as good of a job rebounding as we did in the past.  Too man second chance shots.  Our FG% wasn't bad without AH numbers.  In the end we played with only 7 guys, we will continue to lose games with only 7 players.  

7 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Definitely the mascot's fault. Only thing more important than that was miserable FG shooting, miserable FT shooting, miserable decision-making, miserable game plan, miserable.... fill in the blank. First time I've thought that what OK State fans said about Ford's coaching ability might be right.

Most of those issues are recruiting-related.  You recruit poor shooters, you're going to get poor shooting.  It was necessary for Coach Ford to recruit better athletes and rebounders.  The next step is to recruit better shooters.  

49 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most of those issues are recruiting-related.  You recruit poor shooters, you're going to get poor shooting.  It was necessary for Coach Ford to recruit better athletes and rebounders.  The next step is to recruit better shooters.  

We have some good shooters.  Unfortunately they are injured (Welmer) or suspended.

Goodwin is doing a lot of really good things. If he would just make his layups his shooting percentage would be respectable. He missed two last night and then had one taken away on an offensive foul. If you put those three shots in his stats he is 7-13. We would take that every time along with 7 rebounds and 7 assists. Hopefully his 3 point shot will improve.

They needed to make some adjustments on defensive last night. Way to easy to feed the post. Either double team him or front him. When the ball was in the corner they forced them to the baseline. Unfortunately they would go in for an easy layup because there was no help. 

Jalen Johnson had a great game on offense but his lack of foot speed makes him unable to stop his man from dribbling right by him. 

I am sure Hines is a good kid but if he continues to play meaningful minutes we will be a very average team. Our only guard off the bench should be the 12th player on the bench. Not his fault.

Our freshman are going to be really good.

9 hours ago, White Pelican said:

You left some words out of your last two sentences. You are probably drinking heavily as am I. So I am going to give some suggestions to complete these sentences.

This makes for a  SAD  WORRISOME  TROUBLING  DISAPPOINTING  UNGRATEFUL  Thanksgiving.

Have to  EDGE  PUMMEL  KILL  OBLITERATE  NUKE  POUND  EVISCERATE  Butler to make this right.

Choose your words carefully but above all, have fun!!

Haha. Exactly what happened.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am not sure why the players did not have there energy - sounds like an excuse.  I am not sure if the players simply did not do what Ford asked or he was out coached.  I am not blaming Goodwin for the lose but he is part of the solution - he has to start hitting something other than a lay up or put back.  Even a mid range jumper would help.  Right now we saw the formula for beating us - key on Bess and assume the others will fail.  I am not sure why Roby was sitting so long - his defense was not good but neither was anybody else.  We need scoring and Roby was the only one beside early on with Johnson who could shoot from the perimeter.  We shot FTs very poorly - if we shoot our season avg we win the game.  If we shoot our season avg of 3s we win the game.  I was very disappointed but with this game and the last one I am beginning to wonder what to expect for the year.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

On top of everything else no flu vaccinations for rest of the team. :(  Hines took all the shots!

happy turkey day hope we all recover. Days like yesterday really make me feel like and idiot for being so involved with a bunch of young kids playing amateur sports. 

This made me laugh. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

On top of everything else no flu vaccinations for rest of the team. :(  Hines took all the shots!

happy turkey day hope we all recover. Days like yesterday really make me feel like and idiot for being so involved with a bunch of young kids playing amateur sports. 

Ha, had the same thought this morning. Good for the holidays to snap us back to reality. 

Still stinks though and think this was a huge missed opportunity. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

13 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I've never been a Bishop fan but I'll play him all 40 if it means Hines stays on the bench. Hines wasn't close to the only problem tonight but he has to understand his role and ability 

Right. The Bills need a guy to replace Hines who can go, at least 2-11 from the field, along with more than 1 assist.