OT: Porter out for the year

billiCAN

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, do you go not-one-but-still-done given what will be fears on a second instance of injury and a complete loss of future revenues for the kid and his family?  Does he pull a Leonard Fournette and pray to be drafted high base don rep alone? 

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

So, do you go not-one-but-still-done given what will be fears on a second instance of injury and a complete loss of future revenues for the kid and his family?  Does he pull a Leonard Fournette and pray to be drafted high base don rep alone? 

Kyrie Irving played only a handful of games at Duke before going No. 1 in the draft.  I can't imagine Porter will come back.

41 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Porter is still a top 5.

Him playing only hurts his draft stock. Being super careful with any injury is spreading to ncaa from nba. Porter has nothing to lose by sitting out.

Sales of tinfoil are going up in and around the Lawrence, KS area today. I guarantee you the KU board has to be a great conspiracy theory house today.

Epic: https://scout.com/college/kansas/Board/103719/Contents/Will-Porter-Jr-ever-play-a-regular-season-college-game-110578506

^ KU fans taking it to the next level. Priceless. 

It is too bad, but the kid's future is way mooore important than helping Cuonzo win ball games. My kid, my advice, get well and shoot for that NBA camp in the spring. Get drafted and secure your financial future. While I feel bad for him, you have to admit there's some poetic justice here for Cuonzo. He basically got Zo fired when he hired his dad away from UW.

24 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Sales of tinfoil are going up in and around the Lawrence, KS area today. I guarantee you the KU board has to be a great conspiracy theory house today.

Epic: https://scout.com/college/kansas/Board/103719/Contents/Will-Porter-Jr-ever-play-a-regular-season-college-game-110578506

^ KU fans taking it to the next level. Priceless. 

Not sure why KU cares - they are not in the same conference anymore.

44 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Kyrie Irving played only a handful of games at Duke before going No. 1 in the draft.  I can't imagine Porter will come back.

I was trying to think of other top prospects who played very little NCAA ball, ended their careers injured, or both and where they ended up going in the draft. 

Here is what I came up with:

• Kyrie Irving - played 11 games at Duke and put up good stats (17.5 ppg, 4.3 apg) drafted #1 overall.  Irving was hurt (toe) in Duke 9th game and missed a few months, but came back to play in the NCAA tournament showing he was healthy / productive again.
  • Enes Kanter - signed w Kentucky, but ruled ineligible by the NCAA so he never played a game.  Drafted 3rd overall.
  • Nerlens Noel - played 24 games at Kentucky before tearing his ACL.  Put up pretty good stats (10.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 4.4 bpg).  Drafted 6th overall.
  • Thon Maker - never played college basketball was eligible out of HS because he graduated early.  Drafted 10th overall.
  • Mitch McGary - missed 2nd half of Soph season with back injury.  Got busted for weed the following summer so he entered the draft.  Drafted 21st overall.

Obviously all of these scenarios are a little different.  Kanter and Maker don't apply because there was no injuries involved.  I just included them to show you don't have to play college ball at all to be drafted with a high pick.  Irving came back during college and showed he was healthy, so I don't think he is a great comparison.  He also had a lot more than MPJ's 2 mins of playing time in college.  Noel is an interesting comp because both were very highly regarded recruits.  Noel showed decently in college, but maybe not as good as expected.  Mitch McGary didn't have MPJ's pedigree, but his injury seems to be the most similar.  His stock definitely slipped a bit, but he still went pretty high in the draft.

Ultimately, it depends on how MPJ recovers and shows out in the NBA draft combine and team workouts, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's still a top 5 pick.  I highly doubt he's not a lottery pick still.  Very hard to pass up that kinda green for another year in Boone County and risking another injury.

6 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not sure why KU cares - they are not in the same conference anymore.

Well, many of them are speculating he injured his back in that exhibition game MU played against KU for hurricane relief.

Regardless of conference, the Missouri/Kansas hate has its roots in history more than sports and that always comes to the surface when something happens like this. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Well, many of them are speculating he injured his back in that exhibition game MU played against KU for hurricane relief.

Regardless of conference, the Missouri/Kansas hate has its roots in history more than sports and that always comes to the surface when something happens like this. 

Well I understand the history part - I also know that KU felt like Missouri abandoned them when they joined the SEC.  If I were them I would simply say good riddance to bad rubbish.  If he was hurt against KU then I understand their interest being a little heightened.