OT: Porter out for the year

billiCAN

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Woods was number one in the world, had been named player of the year and won five titles the year before he had his lumbar microdisectomy.  It was his first back surgery. He hasn’t won anything since.

You're right about the back surgery.  At the same time, Woods' entire body has been breaking down - as is normal - when cycling off numerous years worth of heavy steroid use.

My take on the injury: 

- Obviously devastating to Mizzou and most of college basketball as a whole 

- Hope he has a full recovery he seems like a great guy

- Obviously brought in a bunch of pieces for the future (tilmon, harris, jontay)

I also believe he will turn for year 2 and possibly year 3: Heres why

1) The injury could scare away NBA teams, and the more he falls in the draft, the less money he gets

2) Hell have to prove he isn't injury prone and can bounce back

3) He has said multiple times he wants to leave a legacy at Mizzou

4) Also said that he will not not leave until he gets what he wants to happen to happen (Probably at least 2nd week of the tourney)

5) They paid his Dad that much for him, they'll want to have him at least one year

If he DOES return:

1) With him as a Sophomore along with Jontay, Harris, and Timon being sophomores with Watson and possibly Ramey coming in, thats one good team

2) Id say they make the tournament easy ( I also believe we are going to make it next year thanks to gordon, our feshamn being a year older, and our transfers being seniors)

If he DOESNT return-

1) Bad for Mizzou, but not terrible. He brought a lot of talent with him 

2) Makes it easier for Ford to recruit STL

5 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

My take on the injury: 

- Obviously brought in a bunch of pieces for the future (tilmon, harris, jontay)

1) The injury could scare away NBA teams, and the more he falls in the draft, the less money he gets

4) Also said that he will not not leave until he gets what he wants to happen to happen (Probably at least 2nd week of the tourney)

5) They paid his Dad that much for him, they'll want to have him at least one year

If he DOES return:

1) With him as a Sophomore along with Jontay, Harris, and Timon being sophomores with Watson and possibly Ramey coming in, thats one good team

2) Id say they make the tournament easy ( I also believe we are going to make it next year thanks to gordon, our feshamn being a year older, and our transfers being seniors)

If he DOESNT return-

Tigerboard.con

6 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You're right about the back surgery.  At the same time, Woods' entire body has been breaking down - as is normal - when cycling off numerous years worth of heavy steroid use.

Add a massive addiction to pain pills with heavy steroid use and you are looking at some serious trouble.

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Zero chance he returns 

This. 

Why come back and prove your back isn't healed when teams will be willing to give you 3 million a year to prove that it is?

It makes zero sense for him to risk his future with another year of college ball.

6 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

My take on the injury: 

If he DOES return:

If he DOESNT return-

You keep forgetting the fact that if he opts to return to Columbia, he has to go to class, like all good Tiger student-athletes.

6 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

My take on the injury: 

If he DOES return:

If he DOESNT return-

Jeff Goodman said he spoke to multiple GMs in the NBA and they said as long as his back checks out, he'll be top 5.  The rest of the points then on returning have completely changed now as it would be an incredibly dumb move to pass up the guaranteed millions of a top 5 pick in the NBA and risk it for a 2nd week in the tourney.  If he returned and hurt his back again, then it could start scaring teams off.  

14 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He had nothing to do with Zo being fired. Porter Jr was signed and only got out of the LOI because Zo was fired.

If I recall correctly here's the events that led to Zo's firing, Zo was on shaky grounds at UW but was going to be given another year because he had the # 1 recruit under a LOI. Mizzery then hires Martin, Martin's first AC hire is Porter Sr pretty much guaranteeing Porter Jr will renege, UW fires Zo, Porter Jr gets his release and signs w/ Martin. If you can't connect the dots in those backdoor dealings, you're blind. By the way, your gold and black skirt is showing.

CBFan likes this

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If I recall correctly here's the events that led to Zo's firing, Zo was on shaky grounds at UW but was going to be given another year because he had the # 1 recruit under a LOI. Mizzery then hires Martin, Martin's first AC hire is Porter Sr pretty much guaranteeing Porter Jr will renege, UW fires Zo, Porter Jr gets his release and signs w/ Martin. If you can't connect the dots in those backdoor dealings, you're blind. By the way, your gold and black skirt is showing.

You left out when Porter's aunt told the Mizzou AD a month before the firing of Zo that the Porters were interested in returning to Columbia.  It just happened that on the same day a month after she told him that, Romar was fired, Martin resigned from Cal and hired Porter Sr.  Sure nothing was discussed before then from the month the Mizzou AD knew he had a chance to get Porter Jr and turn around the program.  

4 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

You left out when Porter's aunt told the Mizzou AD a month before the firing of Zo that the Porters were interested in returning to Columbia.  It just happened that on the same day a month after she told him that, Romar was fired, Martin resigned from Cal and hired Porter Sr.  Sure nothing was discussed before then from the month the Mizzou AD knew he had a chance to get Porter Jr and turn around the program.  

Agreed. I'm not sure why the VTimes of this world keep pumping the myth that Porter really really wanted to go to Washington and it was only when Romar got fired that they decided to go to Mizzou. The kid/family were homesick and wanted back to CoMo. Nothing criminal in that.

They made it clear to Mizzou (the AD has been quoted as such), who made it clear to Martin that he'd get Porter if he was willing to hire his dad. They also made it clear to Washington's AD that they wanted out when Porter Sr. told the Washington AD that he wasn't returning and his boys weren't coming. Instead of calling his bluff and forcing MPJ to honor his LOI, the Washington AD fired Romar, thus opening the door for the easy escape.

Again, there is nothing horribly wrong with this timeline of events and I don't understand why people continue to insist that it didn't go down this way.

7 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

My take on the injury: 

If he DOES return:

If he DOESNT return-

They are paying dad an enormous sum for an assistant coach (~$450k per year) but it's peanuts for an NBA player. The top overall pick is guaranteed $21mm over 3 years. The 5th overall pick is guaranteed $14mm over 3 years.

Even if you want to paint the argument that he'd be better playing for a year to try and be the #1 pick, the salary lost from not getting to free agency a year earlier dwarfs the $7mm lost by being the 5th overall pick instead of the 1st. If papa Porter has shown one thing in moving his boys to Washington and then to Mizzou for an assistant coaches ransom, he like his $$. I highly doubt the "family" will be passing up on the NBA riches unless somethign goes truly wrong with this surgery and he slips out of the lottery. 

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

They are paying dad an enormous sum for an assistant coach (~$450k per year) but it's peanuts for an NBA player. The top overall pick is guaranteed $21mm over 3 years. The 5th overall pick is guaranteed $14mm over 3 years.

Even if you want to paint the argument that he'd be better playing for a year to try and be the #1 pick, the salary lost from not getting to free agency a year earlier dwarfs the $7mm lost by being the 5th overall pick instead of the 1st. If papa Porter has shown one thing in moving his boys to Washington and then to Mizzou for an assistant coaches ransom, he like his $$. I highly doubt the "family" will be passing up on the NBA riches unless somethign goes truly wrong with this surgery and he slips out of the lottery. 

I think the key point here is if he's really good getting to free agency 1 year earlier is huge. 

I don't really buy into the Tiger steroids stuff.  I did for a time, but the more I thought about it the less I was convinced.  Tiger was more muscular than other golfers, but that is because Tiger went on a fitness training regimen like an athlete in one of the four major sports and not like other golfers of his era.  Tiger looked huge compared to other golfers, but he was never built like NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players.  

Tiger at his most cut doesn't look any bigger than many of the young golfers today that put major time into the weight room.

The Tiger pill pain addiction was because of the back injury and the failed lumbar microdisectomy.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't really buy into the Tiger steroids stuff.  I did for a time, but the more I thought about it the less I was convinced.  Tiger was more muscular than other golfers, but that is because Tiger went on a fitness training regimen like an athlete in one of the four major sports and not like other golfers of his era.  Tiger looked huge compared to other golfers, but not he was never built like NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players.  

Tiger at his most cut doesn't look any bigger than many of the young golfers today that put major time into the weight room.

The Tiger pill pain addiction was because of the back injury and the failed lumbar microdisectomy.

Tiger was an insane fitness freak and trained with the SEALS. He was too hard on his body.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

My bet is that even Martin would agree with this.  The end game was to get Junior to Missouri.  Romar getting stabbed in the back by Porter and Martin; casualty of the business.  How it happened is pretty much as you outlined. Only Missouri Hoops Insider remains on the sideline.

The only remaining question is, did Martin buy damaged goods?

8 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Obviously brought in a bunch of pieces for the future (tilmon, harris, jontay)

I've seen a lot of people saying this.  MPJ is responsible for bringing in these other recruits.  I get that to some extent.  Guys want to play with the #1 recruit and he was the first one to commit.  What does that say about Cuonzo recruiting ability (and the future of the program) if everyone is chalking up the other recruits to MPJ?  Cuonzo got some good talent at Cal, so I think reality lies somewhere in between.  I'm guessing it is easier to recruit players to Cal than it is to Boone County.

44 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't really buy into the Tiger steroids stuff.  I did for a time, but the more I thought about it the less I was convinced.  Tiger was more muscular than other golfers, but that is because Tiger went on a fitness training regimen like an athlete in one of the four major sports and not like other golfers of his era.  Tiger looked huge compared to other golfers, but he was never built like NBA, NFL, MLB or NHL players.  

More likely HGH than 'roids. 

Heard that Mizzou staff didn't think surgery was necessary. This could be a case of the family just not wanting him to play, when he probably could play through it. I wouldn't be surprised if going forward if you see more sure fire one and dones exaggerate injuries and take a long time to return. Why risk going on the court in college? The one and done rule is stupid. The kid shoulda been able to go straight to the league.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Heard that Mizzou staff didn't think surgery was necessary. This could be a case of the family just not wanting him to play, when he probably could play through it. I wouldn't be surprised if going forward if you see more sure fire one and dones exaggerate injuries and take a long time to return. Why risk going on the court in college? The one and done rule is stupid. The kid shoulda been able to go straight to the league.

I find it hard to believe someone would undergo any kind of back surgery if it weren't necessary. Too many risks.