GDT: SLU vs Rockhurst

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foreman has big upside, in my view.  He is still learning to play after his injury recovery and after dropping a bunch of weight.  He is very athletic and a bit raw but full of energy and the hops.  3 offensive boards last night.  I really think he is important for bench muscle and energy, once he adjusts to his role and his "new" body....

As for our main guys all playing 32-36 minutes/game: that will take a toll.  I also noticed our Greek walk-on even got a few minutes last night.  He's impressive in practice and bigger than you think; maybe he can help??  We need a couple more bodies, that's for sure.  I assume Anthony will play some too.  When is Wellmer able to play?? I keep running into him and next time I will try to ask...  btw I ran into Santos on campus and he is one very large human being, maybe the biggest specimen ever since I'm been here.

As for Bishop being a "key": you better not mean it.  anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath.  My team is on the floor (Norman Dale)

willie and NextYearBill like this

foreman's play last night was my best takeaway for the billikens.    if foreman can continue to improve that would be great and take a lot of pressure off french.   the catch and finish foreman made on the one goodwin cross court pass while he streaked along the baseline for the dunk was the play of the game imo.  

give drew deiner some credit.  that team is very well prepared and will do well this season.   its been a long time since ive seen that kind of precise and constant movement with great floor spacing that demanded the fast ball movement that rockhurst showed.   add to it they all seemed to be able to shoot it, at the D2 level that will translate into wins.   that said, that offense takes a lot out of the players and then add the billikens tough rebounding at both ends, rockhurst just ran out of gas the last 10 minutes and it turned into a blow out.   but honestly, that game did us more good than playing some 300+ rpi D1 buy game.   especially considering the Virginia tech team we are about to play is and offensive machine.   

saw most of the second half of the girls game.   i enjoyed the game.   however the last play of the game just cannot happen.   where else did the lady billikens think the inbounds pass was going?   there is no way that girl should have been in the position to make that play.   come on play defense ladies.   Jackie sure is fun to watch though.   worth the price of admission to go see her.  

Zink and NextYearBill like this

USC isnt that great this year. They lost like their whole FF team. What worries me is guarding the 3 ball (VT shoots .42%) and our poor FG%.  This could be a long night if nothing changes for those two. 

As for Bishop.  He is needed.  no denying that. He can score from anywhere, and this team has trouble scoring sometimes. Bishop, Welmer, and AD are all capable of averaging 10+

Also, I love how light Foreman is on his feet for his size. 

Not ominous, realistic. When you see Bishop dressed in a SLU uniform and playing sometime during this season, that is the moment that you may take thank the Lord for deliverance. Before that moment you just have to get the idea that we will take care of business, for better or for worse, with what we have at hand.

20 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Well, that sounds ominous.

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

but honestly, that game did us more good than playing some 300+ rpi D1 buy game.     

Could not agree more, great preparation for VT and got Foreman to gain confidence in himself and open up. We need something similar happening to Anthony.

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Seton Hall signed him after the spring signing period in June due to a late transfer opening up a scholarship. Anthony was available that late because the schools which had shown interest decided to pass. Then he rode the pine at Seton Hall for 4 years.  He's just a guy.

Yeah, I didn't expect much of Anthony, but the signing made sense. I believe we signed him after Welmer got hurt and Foreman was coming off surgery, so adding a bit of depth for one year was good insurance. A healthy Welmer will move Anthony further down the bench.

Goodwin could really benefit from the return of Welmer. We saw for years how Jordair benefited from having stretch bigs on the floor. Not only will it open driving lanes for Goodwin, unlike Jordair, Goodwin can also post up. 

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Could not agree more, great preparation for VT and got Foreman to gain confidence in himself and open up. We need something similar happening to Anthony.

im afraid anthony is what he is.   use him when in foul trouble.   he is better than what we had for inside backup, but i am not expecting as much from him as i was on foreman.   i am just glad it now appears that foreman does indeed have a pulse.   

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Goodwin could really benefit from the return of Welmer. We saw for years how Jordair benefited from having stretch bigs on the floor. Not only will it open driving lanes for Goodwin, unlike Jordair, Goodwin can also post up. 

Also, I think French could do a better job at opening the lane for JG to drive.  Thats what JG loves doing most, and it seems like everytime to tries to drive, its clogged. 

4 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Va Tech defeated Detroit 111-79 and The Citadel 132-93. Those are impressive numbers but against less than impressive programs. What stands out to me is the exhibition game they played as a hurricane relief fund raiser where they defeated South Carolina 86-67 on the road. Now, that's an impressive win.

Detroit....D+....Citadel...F+....The South Carolina  ( A-  ) game was an exhibition game that was close for 3 quarters.   We will be VT's ( A ) toughest opponent  so far this year.

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also, I think French could do a better job at opening the lane for JG to drive.  Thats what JG loves doing most, and it seems like everytime to tries to drive, its clogged. 

I caught Ford telling/yelling French to stay back when we were on break. He was clogging the lane by running straight to the rim.... if he hangs back it leaves more room for our guards to drive because his defender doesn't go to the lane.

looking at the cummlative box score for the season thus far, hines has yet to garner an assist.    would seem to me, as the current backup point guard, assists would be important?

20 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

I caught Ford telling/yelling French to stay back when we were on break. He was clogging the lane by running straight to the rim.... if he hangs back it leaves more room for our guards to drive because his defender doesn't go to the lane.

Makes sense, but half court offense is where it was worse. I noticed a few times JG beat the defender on the first step then went 3 feet before stopping because french or frenches defender was standing right there. 

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Makes sense, but half court offense is where it was worse. I noticed a few times JG beat the defender on the first step then went 3 feet before stopping because french or frenches defender was standing right there. 

It really stood out against Seattle that our best offense came from isolation plays and post-ups. Our motion worked better against Rockhurst, but the spacing is still off. A lot of us were talking about how we have several non-shooters who were likely to play big minutes, and this issue has been exacerbated by Welmer's injury along with the suspensions of Henriquez and Bishop.

Hines, as good as he has been, is still limited in some ways that will prevent him from being a major contributor. He lacks vision, and struggles to beat his man consistently, and is the only guy getting minutes who becomes a liability on the switch defensively (maybe Anthony, too). If he can be an emergency/tertiary ball-handler and three-point threat, he will continue to help more than he hurts.

billikens747 likes this

14 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

When a player is struggling to score, a guy who can pass is your best friend. Bishop will make Goodwin's life a lot easier.

I think Henriquez will make Goodwin's life even easier.  Henriquez at 6'6" will draw a taller perimeter defender that without Heriquez would get assigned Goodwin instead of Roby, Hines, or Bishop.

49 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Henriquez will make Goodwin's life even easier. 

-when?

-I go back to last season and how much we improved, if we can improve like that this season I'll take it, try to enjoy the ride and see what we can do in the A10 tourney