Home opener attendance?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

8000+?  Am I missing something here?  8951!?!???

I guess those guessing didn't bother with the exhibition game.  Hate to be Debbie Downer, and I hope I'm wrong -- but tonight's crowd may be a bit below 8000.

As for students tonight -- well, about 25 showed up last week, so I'm going to predict boldly that at least double that = 50+!!!  PS: many if not most of the "students" in recent games were not, technically students...  the apathy on campus for Bills basketball is almost funny --almost.

Debbie Downer, Debbie Downer, Debbie Downer, Debbie Downer, Debbie Downer, Debbie Downer!

Given the buzz around this team and using last year's home opener crowd number as a gauge, if it's under 8,000 then we don't deserve a basketball team.

25 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

Bandwagon is going to fill up fast.

Had family/friends ask about going to games after never showing interest before. Got texts form friends asking if I would be at the game tonight. Seems to be more buzz than I was expecting. Not saying that it will be like the SLU v VCU or SLU v Butler games of old, but the excitement is coming back.

Just win. The rest will fall into place. 

Winning does indeed cure all (sometimes).

Similar experience with me. Had friends with no connection to SLU other than being from St. Louis asking me to go in on season tickets with them.

As I said: I really hope I'm wrong; and the bandwagon fills up fast --meaning we are playing significantly better than recent years when the product was -- well, abysmal.

Interesting about the first game last year.  Just curious, too lazy to look it up: how many came to exhibition game #1, last year vs. this year?? 

I know there is buzz out there in the community; but The "BUZZ" being mentioned, which may be real on the outside, has no cognate life that I am aware of, on campus.  Again, happy to be wrong about that.  I'm also pretty spoiled, having resided in Bloomington IN during the golden era of IU and the General, circa 1978-1991 or so.  There was some buzz in Bloomington in that period, regarding basketball.  I felt a pulse on campus, several years ago, when guys with names like Jett walked the ivied halls of SLU...  A pulse, I say, one I hope to feel again....If 8000+ do show up tnight, our pansy ass student section may look risible.

I went to Chaifetz this morning to buy a ticket for someone else who will be attending the game. I was conflicted, because I didn't want to buy a ticket for myself knowing that I would get in free with my student ID. However, because the person coming with isn't a student, they would not be able to be in the student section (I don't know if just walking into the student section and sitting is a possibility here??)

All of this to say, the attendant recommended that I just buy one because she didn't expect a full house and said there would be plenty of seats available for me to sit with my person. 

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I went to Chaifetz this morning to buy a ticket for someone else who will be attending the game. I was conflicted, because I didn't want to buy a ticket for myself knowing that I would get in free with my student ID. However, because the person coming with isn't a student, they would not be able to be in the student section (I don't know if just walking into the student section and sitting is a possibility here??)

All of this to say, the attendant recommended that I just buy one because she didn't expect a full house and said there would be plenty of seats available for me to sit with my person. 

Anyone can sit in the student section and no chance you should buy an additional ticket, good on the attendant 

6 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

The only time I have ever seen or heard of non students not being allowed into the games were during the PACKED tournament years when the 'Fetz was selling out and the student section was admirable... Even then, I don't think attendants we're checking that hard. 

While I hope we get back to capacity crowds this year... As long as your buddy has a ticket to get it, he should be fine sitting with you.  

12 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

id'a fired her

It's not just SLU that is seeing declining interest in attending sports, it's everyone:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/19/college-football-how-to-fix-student-attendance-decline/29007681/

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10458047/next-generation-ticket-holder-concern-students-show-college-football-games

What used to be a fun, exciting event that brought people on campus together every week is now viewed as just another chore to attend. Seems like the students even just 5-6 years ago were much more enthusiastic about basketball games than today's students (though that is probably most attributable to Crews nuking the program). We will see if students jump on the bandwagon this year after some wins, but the general excitement seems to be rock bottom right now after seeing the pathetic student section at last week's exhibition game. Some articles that I've read have cited a generational gap, saying that that younger people just aren't really into sports. Whatever it is, it's clear that SLU needs a culture change on campus. 

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

It's not just SLU that is seeing declining interest in attending sports, it's everyone:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/19/college-football-how-to-fix-student-attendance-decline/29007681/

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10458047/next-generation-ticket-holder-concern-students-show-college-football-games

What used to be a fun, exciting event that brought people on campus together every week is now viewed as just another chore to attend. Seems like the students even just 5-6 years ago were much more enthusiastic about basketball games than today's students (though that is probably most attributable to Crews nuking the program). We will see if students jump on the bandwagon this year after some wins, but the general excitement seems to be rock bottom right now after seeing the pathetic student section at last week's exhibition game. Some articles that I've read have cited a generational gap, saying that that younger people just aren't really into sports. Whatever it is, it's clear that SLU needs a culture change on campus. 

Remember the days when you either had to stay up late to watch Sportscenter to see if your team won or wait until the paper the next morning? I sort of miss those days.

Cells phones with access to scores and highlights at the touch of one button, the culture of instant gratification ....the ability to just enjoy the moment is a thing of the past. Good luck getting a bunch of 18-22 year-olds to sit pay attention to one thing for 2-3 hours. Hell, good luck getting adults to as well!

Starting our 10th Season at Chaifetz - and I am optimistic that this will be our 2nd largest home opener behind the 10,015 for the SIUC opener in 2014.

• 2008 - UMSL - 7,170
  • 2009 - SEMO - 7,131
  • 2010 - Austin Peay - 7,511
  • 2011 - Tennessee State - 6,497
  • 2012 - USC Upstate - 6,958
  • 2013 - SEMO - 7,714
  • 2014 - SIUC - 10,015
  • 2015 - Hartford - 6,068
  • 2016 - Ball State - 7,165

All of the openers have been either a Friday or Saturday night games, except Hartford - Sunday 4pm.

37 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

My brother, a SLU alum, was in town for a game during the height of the Majerus Era.  Walking through campus like three hours before game time on a Saturday.  There were screaming Teletubbies and Animal suited nutbars drinking and screaminig Go Bills.  We'd never seen anything quite like it.  Crews set us back but Ford can get us back there....

26 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Last year's opener drew 7165 fans for reference. This year should be more you would think 

Believe it or not, SLU was STILL a top 100 program in D1 attendance last year. Look to see us shoot up the charts this year. 

st louis is notorious for bandwagon jumping fans that are low information folk just doing what everyone else does.    i.e. i am not sure the city knows this is a new team.   i will be surprised if we break over 8k tonight.   would love to see it but doubt it.   now by year end if we are approaching 20 wins, everyone will be talking billikens again.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

st louis is notorious for bandwagon jumping fans that are low information folk just doing what everyone else does.    i.e. i am not sure the city knows this is a new team.   i will be surprised if we break over 8k tonight.   would love to see it but doubt it.   now by year end if we are approaching 20 wins, everyone will be talking billikens again.  

Yea, considering the openers in years after we were a tournament team, breaking 8K seems like a stretch 

40 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Starting our 10th Season at Chaifetz - and I am optimistic that this will be our 2nd largest home opener behind the 10,015 for the SIUC opener in 2014.

• 2008 - UMSL - 7,170
  • 2009 - SEMO - 7,131
  • 2010 - Austin Peay - 7,511
  • 2011 - Tennessee State - 6,497
  • 2012 - USC Upstate - 6,958
  • 2013 - SEMO - 7,714
  • 2014 - SIUC - 10,015
  • 2015 - Hartford - 6,068
  • 2016 - Ball State - 7,165

All of the openers have been either a Friday or Saturday night games, except Hartford - Sunday 4pm.

Hmm.

Seeing this I my thoughts have changed. 

I'm betting 7200 now.

Was there an attendance figure released for the Harris Stowe game? I can't remember - does SLU announce tickets sold or AIS numbers? 

Last years exhibition against Greenville had an announced attendance of 5000 roughly. 

26 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

What used to be a fun, exciting event that brought people on campus together every week is now viewed as just another chore to attend. Seems like the students even just 5-6 years ago were much more enthusiastic about basketball games than today's students (though that is probably most attributable to Crews nuking the program). We will see if students jump on the bandwagon this year after some wins, but the general excitement seems to be rock bottom right now after seeing the pathetic student section at last week's exhibition game. Some articles that I've read have cited a generational gap, saying that younger people just aren't really into sports. Whatever it is, it's clear that SLU needs a culture change on campus.

The game would just distract them from their handheld devices.

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

These articles are dated, and thus didn't include the effect of the recent NCAA scandals - both the shoe bribery and the lack of enforcement for UNC's blatant disregard of the STUDENT part of student-athlete.  Casual fans, who have turned off the NFL perhaps don't see the NCAA as being any better, from a morals standpoint.